The Education Forum

Missing First Day Documents in the Tippit Case

Michael Kalin

1. Benavides' DPD affidavit. (Leavelle's Supplementary Offense Report 11/22/63)
2. Benavides' FBI statement. (United States Government Memorandum 3/1/67)
3. DPD telephone call sheets.
4. Scoggins' trip manifest.
5. Scoggins' cab company statement. (FBI report 3/17/64)
6. Cab company's telephone log. (FBI report 11/28/63)
7. Dudley M. Hughes Funeral Home ambulance call slip. ("The Other Witnesses" by the Nashes 10/12/64)

I can think of seven so far that have a direct bearing on the case, arranged more or less in descending order of importance. With the exception of #5 there is little doubt that they existed on 11/22/63 and were subsequently ignored, lost or discarded. References are noted in parentheses. Most, if not all, might have proven far more helpful in resolving the timing issues than the muddled radio tapes.

The discarded Benavides documents also cut directly to the heart of what actually happened when Tippit was murdered.

If there are others please add them to the list. Better yet, if I'm mistaken, copies will be welcome.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

54 minutes ago, Michael Kalin said:

7. Dudley M. Hughes Funeral Home ambulance call slip. ("The Other Witnesses" by the Nashes 10/12/64)

I can think of seven so far that have a direct bearing on the case, arranged more or less in descending order of importance. With the exception of #5 there is little doubt that they existed on 11/22/63 and were subsequently ignored, lost or discarded. References are noted in parentheses. Most, if not all, might have proven far more helpful in resolving the timing issues than the muddled radio tapes.

The discarded Benavides documents also cut directly to the heart of what actually happened when Tippit was murdered.

If there are others please add them to the list. Better yet, if I'm mistaken, copies will be welcome.

Michael,

I would add, and this has irked me greatly, is the lack of a fingerprint test on the shells found and turned over by Benevides.

An officer was standing right there with a fingerprint kit taking fingerprints off Tippit's car.

Steve Thomas

2 hours ago, Steve Thomas said:

I would add, and this has irked me greatly, is the lack of a fingerprint test on the shells found and turned over by Benevides.

An officer was standing right there with a fingerprint kit taking fingerprints off Tippit's car.

Thanks, Steve, for #8, on point.

Michael and Steve:

The Tippit case is central to the loose ends in the assassination story (truly a Rosetta Stone). I've been studying it for a long time, and it both fascinates me and leaves so many doubts in my mind. I admire your work. To add to your list of ignored, lost or discarded facts that emerged later:

1. Oswald’s arrest in the balcony
  2. Tippit at the Gloco and then leaving at speed.  Tippit is seen by several witnesses at Gloco service station - the other side of Trinity River basin from the Plaza at the southern end of the Viaduct - but these only emerged after the Warren Commission’s conclusions were made public. The evidence of the employees at Gloco is that they were certain he arrived shortly after “shots were fired” in Dealey Plaza
  3. Butch Burroughs saw Oswald enter the theater at approximately 1:00 pm and bought popcorn from him at about 1:15 pm.  Yet the death certificate by Dr. Liquori states the time of death at 1:15 pm, and the Warren Report says Tippit was shot at 1:16 pm. 
  4. No credible explanation as to how Oswald left his lodgings at 1026 N Beckley at 1:03 pm-1:04 pm, and then allegedly walked 0.9 miles to shoot Tippit
  5. The angle of Tippit’s squad car ... inconsistent with someone driving parallel to the curb and then stopping/ pulling over with the front pointed to the curb
  6. Discrepancies regarding the discarded shells found at the scene
  7. The assailant was seen walking from the east, while the route Oswald would have needed to have taken was from the north and west
  8.  Doris Holan,  saw two police officers present when Tippit was murdered; she said a police car pulled up in the alley behind 404 and 410 East 10th 
  9.  Benavides refusing to identify Oswald as the assailant (and attributing the shooting of his similar looking brother down to his failure to cooperate)
  10. Six of the 22 Second Platoon patrolmen had unexplained movements that day: Tippit, Nelson, Mentzel, Walker, Angell and Anglin ... something had been going on with his officers that day. But he was never called to the Warren Commission.
  11. The presence of so many out of district officers in the getaway zone prior to the  murder (and without any overt radio orders to go there}

One of the best summaries I've seen is as follows (not sure if it adds to your list):

A scenario consistent with a professional operation; to move Oswald to the Texas Theater by car; have Larry Crafard, (who resembled Oswald) get a bus and to go to 1026 N Beckley to be seen by Earlene Roberts. The  impersonation by Crafard is a decoy operation to establish the narrative that the person to be blamed for the assassination was a lone gunman who’d escaped without assistance. A duped Oswald would need to be shot, and blamed.

Gene 

3 hours ago, Michael Kalin said:

The missing documents are an indication that we don't know the real story re both Benavides & Scoggins.  Good work, Michael!

Item: DPD crime lab paperwork or report on analysis of the fingerprints lifted from the Tippit patrol car. As it stands, unknown who even examined those prints and was responsible for the (later shown untrue) hearsay claim finding that there was no information to be had from them. 

Item: list of names and contact information of Texas Theatre patron witnesses. Existed. Then no existence.

Item: any writeup on interview or questioning of general manager Callahan at the Texas Theatre that day, who among other things took tickets of patrons coming in the door that day. Supposedly never interviewed or questioned. True? 

Item: any paperwork on the ballistics witness interviews that FBI Odum is reported to have done among a group some of which Odum later claimed he never did. 

Edited by Greg Doudna

@Michael Kalin

JASPER CLAYTON BUTLER was the Ambulance driver for DUDLEY's Funeral Home who was finally questioned in 1977.
I have the images but no room left to post them. IM me and I will send them directly.

He was asked about his trip ticket and said he produced it for 2 members of LIFE magazine in 1965 but cannot recall their names.

The questioning continued and his call slip was never mentioned...  

He says from the time of their call to them pronouncing him dead at Methodist was 4 minutes.

Here is every ambulance transmission from the what we know to be time-altered transcripts of the DPD.  The other call log would be sweet.

1:08    603 (ambulance)    603
1:11    603 (ambulance)    10-4.
1:12    603 (ambulance)    603 out.
1:16    607 (ambulance)    607
1:16    607 (ambulance)    We're going to be en route to Parkland.
1:16    602 (ambulance)    602, Code 5.
1:16    603 (ambulance)    603, Code 5, Baylor.
1:16    602 (ambulance)    602, Code 6 (?).
1:19    602 (ambulance)    What was that address on Jefferson?
1:19    602 (ambulance)    602, Code 6.
1:19    605 (ambulance)    605, Code 5.
1:19    602 (ambulance)    602
1:22    602 (ambulance)    602 in service.
1:22    603 (ambulance)    603 out, Baylor. (Siren)
1:24    605 (ambulance)    605, Code 6.
1:26    603 (ambulance)    603. (Siren)
1:26    603 (ambulance)    603, Code 5, Baylor. 605 Baylor to, ah.
1:32    605 (ambulance)    605, Code 5, VA.
1:33    606 (ambulance)    606, Code 6. (Siren)

5 hours ago, David Josephs said:

@Michael Kalin

JASPER CLAYTON BUTLER was the Ambulance driver for DUDLEY's Funeral Home who was finally questioned in 1977.
I have the images but no room left to post them. IM me and I will send them directly.

He was asked about his trip ticket and said he produced it for 2 members of LIFE magazine in 1965 but cannot recall their names.

The questioning continued and his call slip was never mentioned...  

He says from the time of their call to them pronouncing him dead at Methodist was 4 minutes.

Here is every ambulance transmission from the what we know to be time-altered transcripts of the DPD.  The other call log would be sweet.

1:08    603 (ambulance)    603
1:11    603 (ambulance)    10-4.
1:12    603 (ambulance)    603 out.
1:16    607 (ambulance)    607
1:16    607 (ambulance)    We're going to be en route to Parkland.
1:16    602 (ambulance)    602, Code 5.
1:16    603 (ambulance)    603, Code 5, Baylor.
1:16    602 (ambulance)    602, Code 6 (?).
1:19    602 (ambulance)    What was that address on Jefferson?
1:19    602 (ambulance)    602, Code 6.
1:19    605 (ambulance)    605, Code 5.
1:22    602 (ambulance)    602 in service.
1:22    603 (ambulance)    603 out, Baylor. (Siren)
1:24    605 (ambulance)    605, Code 6.
1:26    603 (ambulance)    603, Code 5, Baylor. 605 Baylor to, ah.
1:32    605 (ambulance)    605, Code 5, VA.
1:33    606 (ambulance)    606, Code 6. (Siren)

DJ--

go here and follow instructions 

https://postimages.org/

you can post images! 

9 hours ago, Gene Kelly said:

One of the best summaries I've seen is as follows (not sure if it adds to your list):

A scenario consistent with a professional operation; to move Oswald to the Texas Theater by car; have Larry Crafard, (who resembled Oswald) get a bus and to go to 1026 N Beckley to be seen by Earlene Roberts. The  impersonation by Crafard is a decoy operation to establish the narrative that the person to be blamed for the assassination was a lone gunman who’d escaped without assistance. A duped Oswald would need to be shot, and blamed.

Thanks, Gene, for the summary, but the Crafard angle is strictly speculative. I am not aware of associated first day documents, missing or otherwise.

8 hours ago, Greg Doudna said:

Item: DPD crime lab paperwork or report on analysis of the fingerprints lifted from the Tippit patrol car. As it stands, unknown who even examined those prints and was responsible for the (later shown untrue) hearsay claim finding that there was no information to be had from them. 

Item: list of names and contact information of Texas Theatre patron witnesses. Existed. Then no existence.

Item: any writeup on interview or questioning of general manager Callahan at the Texas Theatre that day, who among other things took tickets of patrons coming in the door that day. Supposedly never interviewed or questioned. True? 

Item: any paperwork on the ballistics witness interviews that FBI Odum is reported to have done that Odum later claimed he never did. (ps on Odums later denial I think he was lying, the interviews did happen that were reported, but no way to verify the reporting of content therein by Odum had not been strategically tweaked—by Odum who had a good alibi, he claimed he never did those interviews.)

Thanks, Greg. The first two items hit the nail on the head, but I am not aware of missing first day documents with respect to either of the last two items.

6 hours ago, David Josephs said:

DPD Call log from 11/22

Perhaps I did not identify the telephone call sheets accurately. The reference was to DPD's records of incoming telephone calls from the public on 11/22/63. I believe they were destroyed with the consequent loss of important information.

1 hour ago, Michael Kalin said:

Perhaps I did not identify the telephone call sheets accurately. The reference was to DPD's records of incoming telephone calls from the public on 11/22/63. I believe they were destroyed with the consequent loss of important information.

Michael,

Here's another one, although this call was not from the public.

In his Warren Commission testimony, Motorcycle Officer, Thomas Hutson testified that he was riding with Officers Ray Hawkins and another Officer named Baggett, responding to the Tippitt shooting. Hutson testified that the clutch on his cycle was burned out.

His testimony is In Vol VII, page 29. https://www.jfk-assassination.eu/warren/wch/vol7/page29.php

While they were cruising around, Hawkins, who was driving, stopped at a Mobil gas station at 10th and Beckley to make a phone call.

Hutson wasn't positive, but he thought the station had told them to call in.

There is no record in the Dispatch tapes instructing Hawkins to call in. No record of Hawkins reporting in that he was temporarily out of his car, and no record of him reporting that he was back in service. Hutson had to beep the horn to get Hawkins' and Baggett's attention when an announcement was broadcast that the subject was seen running into the Library.

Hawkins made no mention of that phone call in his WC testimony.

To me that phone call is every bit as mysterious and suspicious as Tippit's call from the Top Ten Record Store.

Steve Thomas