The Education Forum

The Death of Marilyn Monroe

Guest Stephen Turner

Hi Tim..

Is it possible..Just possible, That Marilyn was a troubled, self medicating,

woman who made that classic mistake, she overestimated how much

junk her system could take? My work brings me into daily contact with

people who abuse drugs ,alcohol ect, the reasons for this abuse are legion.

But they all share one characteristic, they overestimate there bodies

capacity to handle their drug of choise.

Marilyn's pre-morbid behavior shows,IMHO, a large capacity for self

destructive behavior, which I belive ultimately caused her death.

Just a thought....Steve.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stephen, based on the information in Wolfe's book it is not remotely possible that Marilyn accidentally overdosed.

Tomorrow night I should have time to summarize the information that negates this as a possibility.

Thanks for the thought, though. It always pays to greet controversial claims with skepticism, I believe. Some if not many are indeed speculative at best!

Guest Stephen Turner
Stephen, based on the information in Wolfe's book it is not remotely possible that Marilyn accidentally overdosed.

Tomorrow night I should have time to summarize the information that negates this as a possibility.

Thanks for the thought, though.  It always pays to greet controversial claims with skepticism, I believe.  Some if not many are indeed speculative at best!

Tim.

I await your evidence with baited breath.

Great photo!

Norma Jean DiMaggio!!

I'm probably one of few on the Forum old enough to remember that great Simon and Garfunkel song "Mrs. Robinson" with its reference to the great Joe DiMaggio who truly loved Marilyn despite her leaving him!

Edited by Tim Gratz

Tim, before you get too far along on this whole thing, I suggest you read Noguchi's book Coroner and Daryl Gates' book Chief. Both of them go into detail about the investigations into Monroe's death. Gates, while insisting it was a suicide, throws in the juicy tidbit that the LAPD had spies at LAX and that Bobby Kennedy was indeed in town on the night of MM's death. A book on Peter Lawford by his widow also gets into it a bit, and her version as I remember was that MM called Peter and passed out on the phone, and he was too scared to get involved so he called his agent, who called Marilyn's psychiatrist, who called Marilyn's housekeeper, who saw the light on in MM's room and interpreted that that meant she was okay, or something like that. Evidently, Lawford was guilt-ridden about his not rushing immediately to check on her himself, since he was concerned about the negative publicity it might make for the Kennedys, and this ate at him for his remaining days.

MM was a deeply self-destructive woman. To my way of thinking, believing she was murdered is akin to thinking Kurt Cobain was murdered. Just as everyone who believes Kurt was murdered seems to have some grudge against Courtney Love, everyone who believes Marilyn was murdered seems to have some grudge against or a resentment of the Kennedys.

Pat, I disagreed with many of JFK's policies but the last thing I would like to believe was that RFK was a murderer. Of course, with Monroe threatening to go public, which could have quickly ended JFK's career, there was a lot at stake.

Wolfe details Noguchi's role in the investigation but yes I would like to read his book.

Wolfe had met Marilyn Monroe (he has a long history in Hollywood and in fact worked on "All the President's Men"). Any info on his politics?

Edited by Tim Gratz

John wrote:

What I argued was that right-wing forces used a false CIA document to link the death of Monroe to the Kennedys. This document (dated 3rd August, 1962) has been posted on the web.

John, what basis do you have for believing this CIA memo is "false"?

I first came across this document while researching the death of Dorothy Kilgallen. I immediately wanted to believe it was genuine as it provided further evidence that Kilgallen had been murdered. I had already discovered that Kilgallen had been in contact with Monroe. She was also the journalist who first broke the story that JFK was having an affair with Monroe (3rd August, 1962) although it was written in code and she did not actually name him in the article (in fact friends later said she was referring to RFK and not JFK).

However, the more I looked at the document, the more suspicious I became. For example, it was well known that JFK did not discuss politics with his girlfriends. In fact, he did not like discussing politics with women full stop. It was only those who were very interested in politics, for example, Mary Pinchot Meyer, who got him to talk about the subject. Monroe does not fall into that category. I therefore found it highly dubious that JFK would have talked to Monroe about plots to kill Castro.

The document also includes other information that JFK told Monroe. It includes the following passage: “(Monroe) mentions the visit by the President at a secret air base for the purpose of inspecting things from outer space. Kilgallen replied that she knew what might be the source of the visit. In the mid-fifties Kilgallen learned of secret effort by US and UK governments to identify the origins of crashed spacecraft and dead bodies, from a British government official. Kilgallen believed the story may have come from the (illegible) in the late forties. Kilgallen said that if the story is true, it could cause terrible embarrassment to Jack and his plans to have NASA put men on the moon.”

One must ask yourself why Kilgallen never wrote up this story about aliens and UFOs. She didn’t because there was no such story. The person who drafted this document believed that this story would appeal to conspiracy theorists. (The powers that be really believe that conspiracy theorists are a lot of crackpots – and indeed some of us are).

I therefore became convinced that the document was not genuine. I got Larry Hancock to check it out for me. He reported back that it was almost definitely a forged document.

I suspect that the document was created as part of some anti-Democratic Party campaign.