The Education Forum

My Dad Was a Dallas Police Officer

Thank you Tom Hume.

Sometimes I feel a need to step back and view the story in it's larger total picture and with simpler basic rational thinking parameters.

While still firmly acknowledging microscopic inspection is extremely necessary, important and reverently appreciated. 

Edited by Joe Bauer

On 01/06/2005 at 5:43 PM, Steve Thomas said:

This was posted on the Dallas Historical Society forum last week by a man named Jim Conner, who said that his mother, sister and brother-in-law worked at the TSBD. He said his brother-in-law was Billie Lovelady:

Steve you might be able to help with this,

https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.html?docId=1317#relPageId=662&tab=page

Mrs James L (Dottie) Lovelady (who was absent from work on the day of the assassination)

is that Billy Nolan Lovelady's wife, sister or mother?

Has to be his mother surely, I think. Was his wife not Patricia Ruth Lovelady.

Argh. lol

EDIT:

Ah now wait, I just found this from the 1940 census... https://www.ancestry.com/1940-census/usa/Texas/James-L-Lovelady_5h2c5y

James L Lovelady was Billy Nolan Lovelady's older (by one year) brother.

Dottie Lovelady was married to the brother of Billy Nolan Lovelady... Ah that makes sense now. (I think).

Billy Lovelady was married to Patricia Ruth (nee) Conner (but she didn't work at the TSBD).

hmmm

EDIT 1.1

The Elena Hall named as 'daughter' in that census wasn't a daughter, she was actually a lodger (and apparently a male).

EDIT 2

From the 1940 census https://www.ancestry.com/1940-census/usa/Texas/Patricia-Ruth-Conner_5hc9tx

Patricia Ruth Conner was the daughter of Vida Lee Conner and James William Conner.

(no mention of a son Jim Conner, but he would no doubt have been born after that census).

At least that gives the fathers name though of James William Conner. ;)

EDIT 3 Jim Conner also says he worked in the TSBD (over the summer holidays)

EDIT 4 Just to avoid any potential confusion, the claim of 'My dad was a Dallas Police Officer' was not made by Jim Conner, (he was just responding to Helen Schmidt who started a thread here.

Edited by Alistair Briggs

M. Clark, I didn't read all of the postings in that thread ( have to get on with my day ) but did any of them ask the question, how a man blinded in one eye was accepted into the Air Force as an AP?

Edited by Joe Bauer

6 minutes ago, Joe Bauer said:

M. Clark, I didn't read all of the postings in that thread ( have to get on with my day ) but did any of them ask the question, how a man blinded in one eye was accepted into the Air Force as an AP?

Sorry Joe, I didn't read the whole thing either. I read some of it just now to clarify the JL story for myself. 

Cheers,

Michael

On 6/1/2005 at 10:43 AM, Steve Thomas said:

"Dear Gene:

After the incident, everyone at TSB was interviewed. My mother's story then and now has stayed the same. Her parking space was just behind the fence at the grassy knoll. When she arrived for work that morning, she confronted several men in a car parked in her parking spot. Being the fiesty, Scotch-Irish she was, she told them they were not supposed to be parking there. They ignored her and continued to involve themselves in removing packages from the trunk of their car. Packages she described as could have contained rifles. She went inside and reported the incident to the manager of TSB Mr. Truly.

Throughout the rest of the day no mention was made of the incident and when interviewed by DPD she told the same story. There was no SS followup, nor was FBI interested. They were much more interested in holding Billie Lovelady for three days. Finally when a photograph of the front steps of TSB, showing Billie and most of the crew, surfaced, they figured he could not have been in two places at the same time. For years after that they still pestered him, just certain that he was involved in some way."

Does anybody understand what is meant by the statement, "They were much more interested in holding Billie Lovelady for three days?"

7 minutes ago, Sandy Larsen said:

Does anybody understand what is meant by the statement, "They were much more interested in holding Billie Lovelady for three days?"

Sorry to answer a question with a question but I am unaware of how long he WAS held. What's your understanding of that Sandy? I have no clue.

Just now, Michael Clark said:
9 minutes ago, Sandy Larsen said:

Sorry to answer a question with a question but I am unaware of how long he WAS held. What's your understanding of that Sandy? I have no clue.

I didn't know that Lovelady was held at all. I vaguely recall that one innocent person was held for a while, but I don't recall whom.

There is that one film clip of Lovelady at the DPD. I assumed he was there for questioning.