The Education Forum

Believing your lying eyes

Ed O'Hagan

Bell & Howell testing confirmed that the Zapruder camera operated at slightly faster than 18fps . Frame # 313 recorded the fatal head shot ...

Approximately 1 second later at Frame # 331...

Frame # 349, recorded approximately 2 seconds after the fatal head shot ...

Frame # 367, approximately 3 seconds following the fatal head shot...

JFK's head quite literally exploded before Jackie's face while she was holding him in her arms. Shock, fear and disorientation presumably would have resulted . She would have had to lift him upwards, slide herself sideways from underneath the weight of his upper body, and then ease him down sideways again onto the seat. Turning around she then had to step up onto the soft and springy seat , while deciding where she was going to place her feet in order to avoid stepping on JFK as she was scrambling g onto the trunk. Maintaining her balance while standing on the seat , the fact that she was wearing a fashionable skirt and high- heel shoes, the fact that the limousine was accelerating down Elm Street at that time and wind resistance would have been increasing, are also aspects which have to be taken into consideration.

If Jackie was able to accomplish all of the above in approximately 3 seconds, it not alone defies comprehension, it quite simply boggles the imagination.

Edited by Ed O'Hagan

• 2 months later...

Frame Z. # 343 depicts Jackie beginning to rise from the rear seat and commencing her climb onto the trunk.

This is approximately only 1.6 seconds following the fatal head shot. If one imagines being seated in Jackie's position at the exact moment that JFK's head quite literally exploded before her very eyes, it's not a very big stretch of the imagination to conclude that her immediate reaction would have been to close her eyes, duck her head downward , and turn away automatically. Is it then reasonable to believe, that in such circumstances it is humanly possible for anyone to recover sufficient presence of mind after only 1.6 seconds , and for whatever the reason, to decide to climb onto the trunk of a moving automobile ?

Was Jackie so shocked that she did not know what she was doing, and what she did was basically through panic and/or an innate reponse to survive? Or was she climbing onto the trunk spontaneously to retrieve a shattered fragment of JFK's skull? Or ...... what ?

The final question: If what Jackie is depicted as doing in Z.#343 is time-wise an impossibility, what then may be concluded about the Zapruder frames following the fatal head shot?

Edited by Ed O'Hagan

Or was she climbing onto the trunk spontaneously to retrieve a shattered fragment of JFK's skull?

Yes.

Or was she climbing onto the trunk spontaneously to retrieve a shattered fragment of JFK's skull?

Yes.

Ed, I think one needs to consider some other facts as well,

her system is already switched on (adrenaline, endorphines etc) so she is in the fight flight stage.

people in this state can do some remarkable things, (there was a person who was suddenly confronted with a lion and managed to turn and run and jump about three meters to grab a branch and hoist themselves up, something impossible for this person in normal cirumstances.)

she is in some ways prepared, assassination and what to do is a topic of discussion for her and Jack. She loves him and is the kind of altruistic person that moves towards loved ones in danger, not away for self preservation.

she does react in the frames immediately following the headshot, one can see a flinching followed by a moving towards, then a spotting of something belonging to Jack falling away. hence whart follows.

whether this fits with the idea of film alteration or not I don't know, but I personally don't think that in this particular instance starting to rise within 1.6 seconds is necessarily impossible. I've been in accidents where say a fall or a crash takes a split second but my awareness slows so that everything is in slow motion and certainly I can think quite a lot of thoughts even if there is not enough time to activate muscles.

Ed, I think one needs to consider some other facts as well,

her system is already switched on (adrenaline, endorphines etc) so she is in the fight flight stage.

people in this state can do some remarkable things, (there was a person who was suddenly confronted with a lion and managed to turn and run and jump about three meters to grab a branch and hoist themselves up, something impossible for this person in normal cirumstances.)

she is in some ways prepared, assassination and what to do is a topic of discussion for her and Jack. She loves him and is the kind of altruistic person that moves towards loved ones in danger, not away for self preservation.

she does react in the frames immediately following the headshot, one can see a flinching followed by a moving towards, then a spotting of something belonging to Jack falling away. hence what follows.

whether this fits with the idea of film alteration or not I don't know, but I personally don't think that in this particular instance starting to rise within 1.6 seconds is necessarily impossible. I've been in accidents where say a fall or a crash takes a split second but my awareness slows so that everything is in slow motion and certainly I can think quite a lot of thoughts even if there is not enough time to activate muscles.

I think the "adrenaline rush" concept squares well with her recollection of ... well, not recollecting anything related to these movements. Like a kid who can pick up a car from his friend or relative lying beneath, sometimes the "impossible" becomes possible. I hardly think this points toward alteration, and frankly don't think the film was altered at all. But that's merely my opinion, and we all know about "opinions!" ;)

Frame Z. # 343 depicts Jackie beginning to rise from the rear seat and commencing her climb onto the trunk.

This is approximately only 1.6 seconds following the fatal head shot. If one imagines being seated in Jackie's position at the exact moment that JFK's head quite literally exploded before her very eyes, it's not a very big stretch of the imagination to conclude that her immediate reaction would have been to close her eyes, duck her head downward , and turn away automatically. Is it then reasonable to believe, that in such circumstances it is humanly possible for anyone to recover sufficient presence of mind after only 1.6 seconds , and for whatever the reason, to decide to climb onto the trunk of a moving automobile ?

Was Jackie so shocked that she did not know what she was doing, and what she did was basically through panic and/or an innate reponse to survive? Or was she climbing onto the trunk spontaneously to retrieve a shattered fragment of JFK's skull? Or ...... what ?

The final question: If what Jackie is depicted as doing in Z.#343 is time-wise an impossibility, what then may be concluded about the Zapruder frames following the fatal head shot?

Something's not right, perhaps?