The Education Forum

Willis 15

Robin Unger

Credit Lee Forman for original scan. "Trask's" P.O.T.P

Thanks also to James Richards for his participation.

This is a Crop from Willis 15 showing a tv photographer with a "16mm Camera" in front of the Dal-Tex building.

QUOTE:

From POTP, page 179, caption of that photo: "... a TV cameraman (possibly Anderson)".

From page 417: "Veteran KRLD-TV cameraman George "Sandy" Sanderson was at the south side of Main Street at Record"

I will not post the whole image due to Copyright Restrictions Embeded in the photo.

I emailed Gary Mack and asked if he could assist me regarding this image.

Robin,

That's Willis 15, one of his many unpublished photos. Phil only marketed the best 12 and I guess he thought #15 didn't show much of interest. The 12 he published were not all sequential, by the way.

The man on the right is a tv photographer, for that's a 16mm camera in his hand. I wish I knew his name.

Marilyn Sitzman is at the far left edge in this slightly cropped reproduction. It does, in fact, come from Trask's book.

Gary

Thanks Gary.

6771.jpg

Edited by Robin Unger

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting gathering in the backround of this Carpark Image.

James.

That tough guy on the left looks interesting. !

6774.jpg

A big thanks to "Lee Forman" for taking the time and effort to provide the scans included in this post.

Edited by Robin Unger

Rambler station wagon. ?

Robin,

I've got a stupid(?) question: Where and when was this photo of the Rambler station wagon taken?

Thanks, Thomas

Edited by Thomas Graves

Rambler station wagon. ?

Robin,

I've got a stupid(?) question: Where and when was this photo of the Rambler station wagon taken?

Thanks, Thomas

It's part of the large photo with the old guy in the cap ("large carpark image"), above and to the left of him (his right).

Rambler station wagon. ?

Robin,

Thanks, Thomas

Thomas.

It's not a stupid question, James Richards asked me the same question.

QUOTE:

Hi Robin,

Two questions regarding that carpark image. Do you know how long after the shooting it was snapped? Also, on the far left, what are the chances that vehicle is a 1959 Rambler wagon? Crop below.

James.

I am still trying to tie down a timeline, thomas if you click on the link in my post above which says "Large Carpark Image" you will see the rambler in the far left of the image off in the backround.

6801.jpg

Thanks Duke.

You beat me to the answer.

Credit: Tim Carroll.

QUOTE(Gerry Hemming @ Nov 7 2005, 06:11 AM)

Years ago, I spent hours on the telephone with some kind of DP, LHO, Nash Rambler "expert?" I related to him that H. K. Davis had loaned his old Rambler to Dick Whatley and Bobby Willis for their trip to California, and then on to Mexico and British Honduras [belize].... Three weeks later, long after crossing the Mexico "frontier/migra" station, they encountered a shanty "mordida" 4 man checkpoint. Various weapons [including my old Schmeisser MP-40, now "Tefloned green"] were wired up under the chassis of the ramber. Refusing to pay the $20 bribe, a detailed search of the station-wagon commenced. The next spid move by these clowns was to make a run for it -- but a few bullets into the radiator quickly stopped the fleeing Gringos. They spent 6+ months in the same prison with Joel Kaplan, failed in two escape attempts...yadda, yadda !! Davy had immediately reported the Rambler as stolen upon learning of their arrests.

I called General Walker in Dallas, and around August he convinced both the "Chili-Belly Beaners" and "Fairy" Hoover's minions that both would serve more time stateside under the "Hobbs Act" [10 years] than

under the weak weapons charge [no trial yet] in Mexico. I had Walker send them money to bribe the warden, and they were driven to the U.S. Border and handed over to the FBI. Bob Dwyer[MIA/FO Div-9 ASAC] -- bursting with laughter, called Davy's house and asked whether we were going to "Testi-Lie" against these horse-thieving/car-rustling scalawag miscreants ??!!

Davy responded -- "...What solen Rambler ?? Once we found out it was stolen from them as a loaner...we forgot to give you a call !!" We hear that they are in Texas now ??" Whatley and Willis got some more buck$ from Walker, and they arrived at No Name Key a few days later. The Rambler was hauled to an impound yard on Meachum Field [Airport] 14 miles west of Dallas, and remained there until it disappeared during November 1963.

QUOTE:

Jay Harrison had the Rambler in his possession for a number of years. Here's a photo of it the day it was moved to a farm last year.

Numerous photos were taken of it, including the Mexico stamp on the windshield. Jay Harrison also had a DPD ticket that was issued to the Rambler in Dallas in early 1963. The VIN numbers matched. This was all documented and the car was stored in Austin, Texas for over twenty years.

T.C.

Edited by Robin Unger

Robin,

Do you suppose the older gent in the one photo is the same as the one seen later in front of the TSBD in the Murray?

- lee

Good Compilation lee.

I'm not sure what to think of that old guy in the suit, i noticed in the TSBD image he seems to have something in his hand.

My eye keeps getting drawn to this BIG guy with the muscles in the "Comando" type stance.

Edited by Robin Unger