The Education Forum

"Running Man"

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Laurence Harvey, who also played in The Manchurian Candidate.

Fernando Rey, who also played in The French Connection.

Weird...

NOTE RE APPOINTMENT, ANNOUNCED IN THE GAZETA NACIONAL OF CUBA, THAT DR. JUAN ANTONIO RUBIO PADILLA WAS NAMED BY THE CASTRO GOVERNMENT AS COMMERCIAL ATTACHE FOR WORK OVERSEAS.
CAST FOR 'Running Man'

Laurence Harvey - Rex Black

Lee Remick - Stella Black

Alan Bates - Stephen Maddox

Felix Aylmer - Parson

Eleanor Summerfield - Hilda Tanner

Allan Cuthbertson - Jenkins

Harold Goldblatt - Tom Webster

Noel Purcell - Miles Bleeker

Ramsay Ames - Madge Penderby

Eddie Byrne - Sam Crewdson

Colin Gordon - Solicitor

John Meillon - Jim Jerome

Roger Delgado - Spanish Doctor

Antonio Padilla Ruiz

Interesting, Lee. I too had thought of the movie. Coincidentally or not, it was released in 1963.

I'm sure it's a tie-in to the movie. Lee Remick is begging for her "Running Man" to come back. In the movie she plays the wife of Laurence Harvey, who may have inadvertently just played a different Lee in the Manchurian Candidate. He fakes his death in an insurance scam and goes on the run.

Interesting, Lee. I too had thought of the movie. Coincidentally or not, it was released in 1963.

I'm sure it's a tie-in to the movie. Lee Remick is begging for her "Running Man" to come back. In the movie she plays the wife of Laurence Harvey, who may have inadvertently just played a different Lee in the Manchurian Candidate. He fakes his death in an insurance scam and goes on the run.

I believe you may well be right, Pat. Strange promotion for the movie though. Not exactly high profile. Bizarre.

James

Sounds very plausible Pat - but why not use the name 'Stella' in that case? It's not Lee Remick doing the begging, it's her character?

- lee

• 7 months later...

Sounds very plausible Pat - but why not use the name 'Stella' in that case? It's not Lee Remick doing the begging, it's her character?

- lee

Lee submitted his job application with the TSBD on October 15.

It was a coded message, sent three days in a row, confirming the patsy was being positioned. IMO, of course.

Looks like a drop call between LEE (not Lee Remick) and the RUNNING MAN

Marathon Man and Telefon spread some light on the Manchurian Candidate theme.

Running agents was the job of the LEE here, out in the cold and looking for solace.

Looks like a counter counterintelligence scheme, whether real or not.

probably false.

[quote name='James Richards' date='Dec 6 2005, 01:29 AM' post='47477']

In addition to the ad previously posted, here are two more 'Running Man' classifieds. They come from the 16th and 17th of October, 1963.

FWIW.

James

James: FWIW, I think you are onto something here. Does not sound like any movie ad I have ever seen. Sounds more like code.

Dawn

If WC looked at it, they also covered it up. (after not investigating it, good old FBI)

- lee

It was a coded message, sent three days in a row, confirming the patsy was being positioned. IMO, of course.

Mark: As usual, I think you nailed it!!! Well done, mate.

Dawn

(playing catch up here... saw Shanet's name as last post so knew it had to be of interest!! Glad to see ya back Shan).

[quote name='James Richards' date='Dec 6 2005, 01:29 AM' post='47477']

In addition to the ad previously posted, here are two more 'Running Man' classifieds. They come from the 16th and 17th of October, 1963.

FWIW.

James

James: FWIW, I think you are onto something here. Does not sound like any movie ad I have ever seen. Sounds more like code.

Dawn

If WC looked at it, they also covered it up. (after not investigating it, good old FBI)

- lee

Mark: As usual, I think you nailed it!!! Well done, mate.

Dawn

(playing catch up here... saw Shanet's name as last post so knew it had to be of interest!! Glad to see ya back Shan).

Hi Dawn,

Yes, I think it is definitely a message pertaining to LHO, 'running man' meaning patsy, of course.

Checking if similar classified ads were placed in newspapers in other US cities at the same time could disprove the idea--as Tim suggested in post #21--or it could turn out quite interesting. Has anyone got some time to spare?

James, which newspaper are the ads from? Is it possible they would still have the records of those who placed advertisments in the classifieds? It might not necessarliy lead anywhere but discovering who placed those ads would be intriguing.

James, which newspaper are the ads from? Is it possible they would still have the records of those who placed advertisments in the classifieds? It might not necessarliy lead anywhere but discovering who placed those ads would be intriguing. (Mark Stapleton)

Mark,

The ads I posted came from the Dallas Morning News.

Cheers,

James

James, which newspaper are the ads from? Is it possible they would still have the records of those who placed advertisments in the classifieds? It might not necessarliy lead anywhere but discovering who placed those ads would be intriguing. (Mark Stapleton)

Mark,

Cheers,

James

I recently spoke with an individual who would know, who stated that the Dallas Police Department had investigated the classified advertisement's for 'Running Man, please contact me LEE.' Apparently, the classified ad had been noted by the FBI [ie J. Edgar Hoover] as well.

This is what I was told.

"The ad's were placed not only in the Dallas Morning News, but in the Dallas Times Herald on the same day's as they ran in the Dallas Morning News. The ad's were placed by the owner or manager of the Capri Theater in Dallas, as a promotion for the movie 'The Running Man.'"

Substaniating this, is the fact that by October 20, 1963 the film 'The Running Man' starring Laurence Harvey, Lee Remick and Alan Bates does indeed appear on the marquee listings as showing at the Capri Theater in Dallas, Texas.

This information is not intended to dissuade any further research on the subject, but is simply intended as a FYI to all who have an interest./Robert

Mark,

Cheers,

James

I recently spoke with an individual who would know, who stated that the Dallas Police Department had investigated the classified advertisement's for 'Running Man, please contact me LEE.' Apparently, the classified ad had been noted by the FBI [ie J. Edgar Hoover] as well.

This is what I was told.

"The ad's were placed not only in the Dallas Morning News, but in the Dallas Times Herald on the same day's as they ran in the Dallas Morning News. The ad's were placed by the owner or manager of the Capri Theater in Dallas, as a promotion for the movie 'The Running Man.'"

Substaniating this, is the fact that by October 20, 1963 the film 'The Running Man' starring Laurence Harvey, Lee Remick and Alan Bates does indeed appear on the marquee listings as showing at the Capri Theater in Dallas, Texas.

This information is not intended to dissuade any further research on the subject, but is simply intended as a FYI to all who have an interest./Robert

Robert,

Thanks for that info. The fact that the DPD investigated the ads and accepted the explanation given doesn't mitigate the ads suspicious nature, IMO. The DPD has zero credibility in matters relating to JFK, and the benefit of the doubt can never be given to them, IMO.

If I ran a theatre in Dallas, I would advertise coming attractions in bold type---prominently and loudly. I wouldn't disguise the ads as cryptic puzzles, then bury them deep within the classified section. That makes no sense. It seems a bit too subliminal and sophisticated to have been used as an advertising technique in Dallas in 1963. The explanation sounds false, and as Lee Forman pointed out, why use the name 'Lee' instead of the film character's actual name, 'Stella'?

IMO, it's a coded message from a participant in the conspiracy, signalling that the patsy had been manipulated into place and giving the all clear for the plan to proceed.