The Education Forum

Dealy Plaza Survey Data

Sorry to throw water on the fire Jack, but:

The "ending point" of the first shot fired line, as shown on your version of the plat, clearly identifies it's origin.

As stated, this is the impact position for the first shot fired, as determined by the TIME/LIFE survey of 11/26/63, and of which can not be transferred to the WC survey plat without first going through the survey notes for the TIME/LIFE survey, transfer of the SCP's (survey control points) to the WC survey plat, and then measuring off the direction & distances to the impact point in the street.

Which, comes to the exact position where the first line, as drawn in by myself in the 1990's ends.

With this in mind, one might ask exactly why it is that a line imminates from the sixth floor window, to end at an unidentified location on Elm St., which has never been identified by anyone (other than myself) as having any bearing on the first shot fired in the assassination.

And, as you may (or may not recall), I long ago identified this position on Elm St. as the impact location for the first shot fired in the assassination.

Tom...My version was not obtained from Chuck Marler. I got it from Jim Marrs,

who xeroxed it from Breneman's print in 1978. I know nothing about Marler's

copy, although I did furnish a copy of the plat to Marler's friend Noel Twyman.

Jack

In event Mr. Marrs is claiming that he got this from Mr. Breneman, then perhaps he could also explain the lines imminating from the sixth floor window of the TSDB, as they do not appear on any normally presented version of the print.

In addition, these lines (on my original) are drawn in, in soft#2 pencil, therefore, someone obviously had to "redraw" them in order to get them this dark.

And since the copies which show the TSDB have been provided, then obviously my somewhat "old" memory has forgotten exactly how much data was given to whom.

A quick review demonstrates that in/around 1994, I provided much of this information to the following persons:

1. Dr. Cyril Wecht

2. Mr. James Lesar

3. Ms. Mary Ferrell

4. Mr. Robert Grodon

5. Mr. Jonathan Meyers

6. Mr. Jerry Rose

I would suggest that the reasoning for any "distortion" in the image is the fact that only reduced copies of various sections of the survey plat were provided, and with the pasting together of these images and further reduction, then the problem.

Whatever the case, the drawing is ABSOLUTELY a portion of a drawing generated by myself many years ago.

The WC plat makes absolutely NO reference to the impact point for the first shot fired, and in fact even the later SS/FBI versions moved this point slightly farther down the street (Z-208/210) than did the Time/Life Survey.

The ending point for the line, as drawn for the impact position for the first shot, was platted onto this copy of the survey play, by myself, directly from the survey information notes which I received from Mr. West.

The SCP's (survey control point) from which this point is determined, as well as the exact distances to this impact location are found ONLY within the survey notes of Mr. West for the Time/Life survey, as has been stated, the SS determined a slightly "later" point that they could determine as point of impact.

The Survey ending position for this first line is at the Time/Life point which correlates to Z-204 to Z206.

As a few additional points of reference.

During discussions with Mr. West regarding his survey notes, I found reference to the "Tague" curb strike.

In that regards, we discussed any other "potential" such bullet impacts.

Mr. West indicated that the only other suspected impact locations for bullets/bullet fragments was down at the curb inlet to the manhole. In that regard, he sent me a copy of a photo which showed Dallas plainscloths detectives at this location examining the contrete; grass; and manhole cover.

He clearly stated that the Tague strike was the only one in which he obtained any survey information relative to such bullet/fragment strikes on any street curb.

Lastly, there is a final note in regards to the actual WC Survey Plat.

When this survey plat was completed, members from the WC were there and retrieved the survey plat directly from Mr. West.

In fact, Mr. West was not allowed to even make a copy of it for his own files.

Over a period of years, Mr. West contacted the representatives of the FBI/SS/& WC with whom he had dealt, and attempted to gain his "record" copy of this survey plat.

All to no avail.

Finally, some years later when he was reviewing his files in preparation for moving them from his office, he recognized that he still did not have a copy of the survey plat.

In this regard, he again made contact and informed the persons that Texas Law required him to maintain in his possession, copies of all survey drawings/survey plats which had been generated by himself.

In that regard, he informed those to whom he was in contact that in even Washington, DC would not provide him with a copy of the plat, that he would have to write an official letter of complaint and thereafter have it sent through the proper channels in order to protect himself from not being in "violation" of the Texas Law which required that he maintain a copy of the survey plat.

With this "threat", Mr. West finally received a copy of the survey plat from the National Archives.

And, in that regard, the "unaltered" survey data block, as copied from the original survey, did come into the public domain until such time as I provided it to persons such as Chuck Marlar (& others) in regards to the altered survey data of the WC.

Which, if you will recall, Chuck Marlar wrote about and allowed to be thereafter published, and I then allowed JFK Lancer to publish a "one time" printing of this information.

As I am having problems with posting "attachments", I will work on it and provide information relative to the survey data block as it was taken by myself from the full size copy of the plat in my possession, as well as information relative to the impact position for the first show as determined during the Time/Life survey work, and which was later transferred, again by myself, to the WC survey plat.

P.S.

According to Mr. West, there is a nail/pin driven down into the asphalt at this location.

It is highly unlikely that this nail was removed during the later re-asphalting of Elm St.

Therefore, anyone with a good metal detector should easily be able to find the TIME/LIFE survey position for impact point of the first shot fired in the assassination.

With the given distances & measurements, there would be little difficulty in physically locating this nail to within less than a foot. The metal detector will do the rest.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tom...Clearly you have an exellent QUALITY print of a West plat.

But clearly you are mistaken about the provenance of such prints.

Jim Marrs provided me with his xeroxes (of his 1978 copy furnished

to him by Chester Breneman) in the 1980s...long before your

activities with your copy. If you dispute this fact, it severely

affects your credibility.

By the way, if accuracy is important to you, it is MARLER, not MARLAR.

Jack

Tom...perhaps your misunderstanding comes from the probability

that MANY PRINTS are customarily made from an original drawing

by an architect, engineer, or surveyor.

Breneman's handwritten notation on the Marrs print says.....

Edited by Jack White

Jack

Tom...I checked my computer files, and found my notes regarding

the Breneman plat as part of copy that I wrote for a 1994 Fourth

Decade article, as follows: (The article never appeared, because

editor Jerry Rose LOST the article which I sent, and never found it,

and I never re-sent it to him)

PARTIAL QUOTE:

"Early in 1994 after a request from Chuck Marler, California researcher, I had asked Jim Marrs if he knew more about Breneman than he published on pages 454-56 of Crossfire. He responded by telling me several things I did not know, including the fact that during a newspaper interview Breneman had given Marrs a copy of a letter which Breneman had written to his nephew Rich to record for historical accuracy his activities and opinions regarding the assassination. Marrs then searched his files and found the letter, a Dealey Plaza map by fellow surveyor Robert H. West and Breneman with notations by Breneman, a surveyor’s measurement chart by West/Breneman, and a newspaper clipping of a story by Marrs published by The Fort Worth Star-Telegram on Friday, April 14, 1978, regarding Marrs’ interview with Breneman. I requested and obtained from Jim copies of these so that I could write an article for the Fourth Decade."

Note that Marrs furnished me HIS COPY of the plat because Chuck Marler

asked me for more information about Breneman, and I asked Jim, and

Jim gave me the materials WHICH HAD BEEN IN HIS FILES SINCE 1978.

I hope this clarifies this matter.

Jack

PS...having gone thru five computers and numerous computer crashes, I am

amazed that a twelve year old file is still onboard!

Edited by Jack White

Tom...perhaps your misunderstanding comes from the probability

that MANY PRINTS are customarily made from an original drawing

by an architect, engineer, or surveyor.

Breneman's handwritten notation on the Marrs print says.....

It should be noted that although he was using the plat made for the

Secret Service, Breneman's handwritten notes written on the map

CONCERNED THE LIFE MAGAZINE STUDY.

Jack

Jack

Jack;

The "credibility" problem lies within those who now, long after the death of Mr. West, come forward with such items as the claims regarding bullet impacts to the curb on Elm St.

Obviously, since I had no communications with Mr. West after the early 1990's when I visited him at his home and reviewed the altered survey data, etc, then I also can not state that Mr. West did not at some time recall some other item as regards possible bullet/fragment impact to the Curb of Elm St.

However, what I can state as ABSOLUTE, is the fact that the drawing, as posted by Don, which carries with it the two lines drawn from the sixth floor window, to a point of impact on Elm St. which is just prior to the Z207 marking, and of which the second line terminates at the platted impact point for the Z313 head shot, was ABSOLUTELY done by myself.

Mr. West made and had in his possession, multiple copies of his other survey work for Time/Life; SS/FBI.

It was only the WC copy which he did not receive a copy of until some years later.

It has been far too long, and the item seemed of little significance, for me to attempt to recall exactly when Mr. West stated that he finally received a "file" copy of his WC Survey.

Therefore, I will not make an attempt to go into any discussion as to when he may or may not have had it, as well as how Breneman may have secured a copy.

In addition to the above, whoever made the "handwritten notes" did not seem to be aware that the US Secret Service had absolutely ZERO to do with the May 1964 Survey.

This was the WC "baby" completely, utilizing the FBI in the Z-position as well as the Snipers nest position.

Inspector Kelly of the US Secret Service was present, however, the "show" was run by Specter & Company, and Kelly was merely added window dressing.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mr. SPECTER. Did you participate in the planning of the onsite tests at Dallas, Tex.?

Mr. KELLEY. I did.

Mr. SPECTER. And did you participate in the making of those tests?

Mr. KELLEY. Yes, sir.

Mr. SPECTER. On what date was the onsite testing made?

Mr. KELLEY. It was a week ago Sunday.

Mr. SPECTER. That would be May 24, 1964?

Mr. KELLEY. Yes, sir.

Mr. SPECTER. Mr. Chief Justice, the purpose of having Inspector Kelley testify was just to set the scene.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As previously stated, the SS controlled Survey and re-enactment was done in early December, 1963, with the survey plat for their work having been completed on 12/5/63.

Therefore, whoever is doing the "writing" on the copied WC survey plat, has his information confused.

In addition, and as presented, Mr. West had provided the information relative to the scale on the WC survey plat, which happens to be 1-inch = 10 feet, along with having signed above this information.

All other survey plats are to a scale of 1-inch = 20 feet.

So, when those who "proclaim" authorship to the "original" of this drawing can provide the locations for the survey control points which were extracted from the Time/Life Survey, and thereafter plat these SCP's on the WC survey, and from there take the given distances and angles and derive the ending point for the first line, as drawn from the TSDB, then perhaps I may consider that they do have much of the original information.

Until then, it will remain that this copy of data, as provided, contains the two lines which represent the impact locations for the first two shots fired, as drawn by me, in the early 1990's.

And since I can also provide virtually every other item related to the WC Survey plat, (as well as any and/or all other survey plats), it would seem that whoever is attempting to utilize this portion as "their" work, should take another good look.

Since they obviously are not in possession of a full sized copy of the original WC Plat, they have overlooked many obvious points.

One of which is the fact that there are items on the original survey plat, which when copied, should also appear on the presented (Don Roberdeau) portion of the plat.

They do not!

And the reason that they do not, is due to the fact that I "whited out" these portions of the drawings prior to providing them to anyone.

In addition, a "key" was provided in relationship to the street elevation of 426 for the ending point of the first line drawn.

If one will check the enlarged version of the drawing which I provided, they will find that according to the drawing, this is correct.

However, it is nevertheless incorrect, and anyone who had a full size copy of the Survey plat should have observed this.

If one will note, the street contour elevation goes in one-foot full increments, with intermediate lines between the 1-foot increase in elevation.

Thereafter, Just after the Z-207/208, we have the street contour elevation of 423.

Next however, it JUMPS to an elevation of 426, which is where the point of impact for the first shot is.

Then, it would seem to decrease back to an elevation of 425.

Then, it would seem to increase again back up to a street elevation of 426, repeated.

NOPE! There is not a "hump" & "dip" in Elm St.

This is a typical "draftsman" error, and it is only found on the WC Survey Plat, and anyone who has a full size copy of the plat would/should catch this error immediately.

The street contour elevation of 426, for the point of impact for the first shot fired, should have been a street contour of 424.

And, not unlike much of the other information, this "error" was verified through Mr. West, and with comparison of his Survey data.

And, anyone who claims to have in their possession a full size copy of the WC survey plat, should have caught this little "glich" immediately.

Might I recommend that you return to the "source" and thereafter ask for a copy of that portion of the survey which demonstrates the "SECTION OF CURB REMOVED" for the Tague strike, as it too is on the full size drawing.

If, and when I should come across the "original" of the Roberdeau drawing which I provided to others long ago, and which contains nothing drawn/written in other than the two trajectory lines from the TSDB, then I will post it as well.

I am certain that somewhere in the shed with all of the other stuff, that I would have kept a copy of this as well.

Meanwhile, I will leave this subject with the attached portion of the survey notes of Mr. West which indicate the survey data for establishment of the location of the three yellow stripes as well as the curb inlet on Elm St.

What is obviously missing is any reference to a bullet impact/strike point anywhere as indicated on the Roberdeau drawing.

Tom...clearly you are talking about ONE copy and I and I am talking about ANOTHER.

THERE WERE MULTIPLE COPIES. West gave you one. Breneman gave Marrs A COPY

OF THE SAME MAP, but with Breneman's handwritten notations in 1978. (see attached

handwritten Breneman notations, done on the West plat regarding the LIFE study).

Despite your assertions to the contrary, this version of the plat has been in Jim's file

SINCE 1978. You saying it has not does not make you right. I do not understand your

adamant stance that Marrs did not receive this plat from Breneman.

Study Breneman's notations. You might learn something.

Jack

Edited by Jack White

Tom wrote:

"It has been far too long, and the item seemed of little significance, for me to attempt to recall exactly when Mr. West stated that he finally received a "file" copy of his WC Survey.

Therefore, I will not make an attempt to go into any discussion as to when he may or may not have had it, as well as how Breneman may have secured a copy."

For goodness sake...BRENEMAN WAS WEST'S ASSISTANT. They worked together.

Both had copies of the work. NEITHER DREW THE PLATS. That was done by a

DRAFTSMAN based on the field work of West and Breneman. Tom seems to think

that West was a LONE WOLF who did every bit of work himself. The county surveyor

office is a BIG department. West was head of the department. Breneman was his

top assistant. The department HAD MANY SURVEYORS AND DRAFTSMEN. It is

strange for one to wonder "HOW BRENEMAN MAY HAVE SECURED A COPY" when

he was the number two man in the department!

I forget the name of the DRAFTSMAN who drew the plats based on the notes of

West and Breneman.

Jack

Here is the full 1978 Marrs article of his interview with Breneman. I hope

it is large enough to be legible.

Jack

Quite legible.

I had heard of this, long after having found the information for myself, but was unaware that Breneman also knew something of the alteration of data to the survey data.

Again, this information is/was confirmed when I presented a copy of the original survey data block from the survey plat received from Mr. West, as compared to the survey data block as entered into evidence during the WC.

As regards the survey work.

The Time/Life survey information is essentially correct.

However, the May 31, 1964 survey work WAS NOT the second survey.

It may have been for Breneman, but it was far from the second.

The second survey work, and the most detailed, was that done for the US Secret Service on December 2/3/4/& the survey plat completed on the 5th of December 1963.

Herein lies most of the actual survey work which also encompassed the establishment of additional survey control points and a virtually complete grounds survey with elevations, etc. which the Time/Life survey & plat did not have.

This was the first survey to contain the Elm St. elevation contours.

Then, comes the FBI survey & survey plat of February 7, 1964, in which the FBI moved the location of shot# 3 to being between #1 and #2.

Then comes the WC survey & Survey Plat of May 31, 1964, in which additional structures are surveyed in along with several additional survey control points.

This is the FIRST survey plat in which the scale is now on a 1-inch = 10 feet, as all other surveys were on a scale of 1-inch = 20 feet.

In addition, this is the ONLY survey to show Z-frame film numbers posted down the center of Elm St. in regards to the purported position of JFK at various frames of the film.

It is further noted that this survey plat demonstrates absolutely NO impact location for the first shot fired, and totally eliminates any reference to this shot.

And, lastly, and not presented prior to this, is another FBI "re-work" of June 25, 1964, in which the FBI had Mr. West go back and position the location of shot#1 (Z-208/210) and shot#2 (Z-313)

Mr. Breneman is correct as regards a portion of the "street curb impact".

The WC had Mr. West locate and survey in the position of the "Tague Strike" to the street curb over across Main Street.

And, anyone who has either seen or had in their possession, a copy of the extremely large WC Survey Plat, should know this as this is clearly marked on the WC Survey Plat.

Additional comments as regards the Time/Life Survey are as follows:

Breneman is correct in that the Time/Life survey demonstrates a shot impact prior to the time claimed by the WC.

It is noted that the WC basically stated that no shot could have struck JFK prior to about Z-210 due to the tree limbs.

However, the survey work done for the US Secret Service in December of 1963, clearly indicated the impact point of the first shot as being in the Z-208/210 vicinity.

And, the Time/Life survey demonstrates the impact location in Elm St., but it gives no Z-frame# and/or station number for this, as the Time/Life survey was limited in scope.

However, the survey notes of Mr. West do in fact provide the street elevation for this survey position, as well as the Survey control points and the distances and directions from these points to the impact point of this first shot.

With this information, transferred to the WC larger survey, on can thereafter determine on the WC Survey Plat, the location of the TIME/LIFE impact point.

And, this is what the first line, as draw by me, on the Roberdeau drawing represents.

No other person has the information necessary to derive this.

As an additional point, Breneman references the K1 shot to JFK as a "frontal" shot.

K1 is the headshot at Z313.

If one wishes to believe it was a "frontal" shot, then that is up to them.

As regards what Breneman apparantly provided, it would appear, from his letter, that he provided a "working copy" of the survey work which was utilized during the actual WC re-enactment of the assassination.

It is noted that he references the Z-frame numbers"

"Looking at the center of Elm Street you will notice small numbers with tiny circles by them. Each number represents a frame of the Zapruder film which we inked on in sequence."

Although the Roberdeau drawing is by far too reduced to demonstrate, the provided copy of the WC plat which I have shown, clearly shows the referenced Z-frames, but there are no "tiny circles" and nothing is "inked on", as it was all professionally done with a Leroy set.

Therefore, it now seems that we have a true "hybrid", in that we have the a reduced version of the actual WC survey plat in which I long ago drew in the two impact point positions for the first two shots, and thereafter, someone has added to it information gained from Mr. Breneman.

Nevertheless, the WC survey in regards to the curb strike and removed section of curb, is clearly marked on the full scale drawing, and it is for the Tague curb strike over on Main St.

And anyone who has the drawing, would also have this as well.

Obviously, Mr. Breneman missed out on the "Genesis" of the WC lie, and when one jumps from the Time/Life to the WC work, without knowledge of the SS & FBI work in between, Mr. Breneman, not unlike most others, knows that something "Stinks", just not certain exactly what it is/was.

Tom wrote:

"Therefore, it now seems that we have a true "hybrid", in that we have the a reduced version of the actual WC survey plat in which I long ago drew in the two impact point positions for the first two shots, and thereafter, someone has added to it information gained from Mr. Breneman."

I cannot understand why you cannot accept that THESE NOTATIONS WERE MADE BY

BRENEMAN on a Dallas County Plat (attributed to West, the department head) at some

point in time before he allowed Jim Marrs to xerox the plat in 1978. Why is this so

difficult to believe??? The "two lines" which you say YOU DREW IN were there on this

copy in 1978 when it was given to Marrs. Therefore YOUR COPY DID NOT HAVE THE

LINES WHICH WERE DRAWN IN EARLIER on the Breneman copy. Why is it hard for

you to accept that THERE WERE NUMEROUS COPIES of the plat, and that West AND

Breneman did the basic work, not West alone? A draftsman drew the actual ORIGINAL,

and various BLUEPRINT COPIES had different notations on them.

Jack

Tom wrote:

"It has been far too long, and the item seemed of little significance, for me to attempt to recall exactly when Mr. West stated that he finally received a "file" copy of his WC Survey.

Therefore, I will not make an attempt to go into any discussion as to when he may or may not have had it, as well as how Breneman may have secured a copy."

that West was a LONE WOLF who did every bit of work himself. The county surveyor

West and Breneman.

Jack

Jack:

Breneman was the "Instrumet Man" of the survey crew. This meaning that he, utilizing the instrument, turned the angles, determined the vertical angle (elevation) etc;.

Thereafter, you have the "rod man" who hold the survey rod/pole into position, and you have the "chain crew" which measures the given "slope distance".

All of this information is thereafter given to the "Party Chief" who is responsible for all of the calculations, etc, which in the case of Mr. West's work, was done back in the office from the angles, distances, and elevations as determined from the field.

For the Time/Life Survey, the Survey Plat was drawn by Paul D. Hardin.

Mr. Hardin also assisted Mr. West in the field at various times.

In event Mr. Breneman secured all of these copies of the various surveys, it would seem difficult to explain exactly why full sized copies, complete with the information, have not made it into the public domain.

It is unknown as to how closely "guarded" the Time/Life survey plat was, as it was not discussed with Mr. West.

However, he certainly had managed to keep his own personal copy, as well as copies of each and every survey, with the exception of the WC Survey Plat, which he stated no copies were made and that he had to threaten to write letters in order to secure a copy from Washington (the Archives).

It should be noted that a large city such as Dallas has several thousand miles

of roads and properties, and of necessity has a VERY LARGE SURVEYING

DEPARTMENT. Many survey teams and draftsmen continuously work on

every road and property project to keep everything accurate. Other

departments, such as water, sewer and other utilities depend on obtaining

up-to-date copies of such plats at a moment's notice.

Such a survey department maintains COMPLETE DRAWINGS FOR EVERY STREET

LOCATION such as Elm Street, so it is unlikely that this plat was drawn from

scratch, but was adapted from the previous most up-to-date drawing, with

West and Breneman merely UPDATING a COPY of the previous drawing with

information requested at various times by Secret Service, FBI, Life, Warren

Commission, etc.

The plat in question was very likely an update of an existing Dealey Plaza

plat, altered to include requested information...thus there were very likely

numerous copies of it in the hands of various field surveyors, draftsmen,

and supervisors like West and Breneman. We are not dealing with a single

copy of a single plat.

Jack

Tom wrote:

West and Breneman.

Jack

Jack:

Breneman was the "Instrumet Man" of the survey crew. This meaning that he, utilizing the instrument, turned the angles, determined the vertical angle (elevation) etc;.

Thereafter, you have the "rod man" who hold the survey rod/pole into position, and you have the "chain crew" which measures the given "slope distance".

All of this information is thereafter given to the "Party Chief" who is responsible for all of the calculations, etc, which in the case of Mr. West's work, was done back in the office from the angles, distances, and elevations as determined from the field.

For the Time/Life Survey, the Survey Plat was drawn by Paul D. Hardin.

Mr. Hardin also assisted Mr. West in the field at various times.

In event Mr. Breneman secured all of these copies of the various surveys, it would seem difficult to explain exactly why full sized copies, complete with the information, have not made it into the public domain.

It is unknown as to how closely "guarded" the Time/Life survey plat was, as it was not discussed with Mr. West.

However, he certainly had managed to keep his own personal copy, as well as copies of each and every survey, with the exception of the WC Survey Plat, which he stated no copies were made and that he had to threaten to write letters in order to secure a copy from Washington (the Archives).

You are correct about the Warren Commission Survey. I have read that THE COMMISSION

ORDERED WEST TO MAKE NO COPIES OF IT, AND TO GIVE THE ORIGINAL TO THE COMMISSION.

On top of that, they declared the original TOP SECRET.

Then, after the WC volumes were published, West protested that some figures had been changed!

Jack