The Education Forum

Jack Ruby and Leona Miller

Jack Ruby saw Leona Lane (nee Miller) when he went to the synagogue on the night of November 22. He told the Warren Commission:

"I went out to the synagogue and I went through the line and I spoke to Rabbi Silverman, and I thanked him for going to visit my sister at the hospital. She was in a week prior and had just gotten out. I don't remember the date. Then he had a confirmation--this is the night prior to the confirmation. They serve little delicacies. So in spite of the fact of the mood I was in, I strolled into the place, and I think I had a little glass of punch. Nothing intoxicating, just a little punch they serve there. I didn't speak to anyone. One girl, Leona, said "Hello, Jack," and I wasn't in a conversational mood whatsoever. I left the club--I left the synagogue and I drove by the Bali-Hai Restaurant."

Who was Leona? In a March 1985 article titled "Jack Ruby and J.D. Tippit: Coincidence or Conspiracy," Jerry Rose mentioned a link between a Leona, and Barbara and Virginia Davis, witnesses to the Tippit shooting. In the Dallas police records, Barbara and Virginia Davis had the telephone number WH 3-8120. This same number appears in Ruby's notebook as "Leona Miller, WH 3-8120."

Leona was a native of Chicago. In 1956 she and her mother, Esther Miller, moved to Dallas, where they became friends of Phyllis and Sam Ruby. In 1959 they met Jack, Sam's brother, at a Passover dinner held in Sam's home. (Commission Exhibits 2282 and 2283). Leona later became a professional photographer in Dallas at Van Gogh Studios.

On November 22, Leona, Esther, and Leona's two teenage sons went to the Shearith Israel Synagogue to attend a memorial service held in honor of the late President. After the service was over at 11:00 pm, coffee and refreshments were served in the reception room. It was there that Leona saw Jack Ruby standing alone. Leona had seen Jack about ten or twelve times in the past, but this was the only time she saw him at the synagogue. He looked nervous, upset and depressed. Leona went up to Ruby and greeted him. She introduced him to her mother and sons, reminding him that he had met them once before at Sam's house. After the introductions, Mrs. Lane said how terrible the assassination of President Kennedy had been, and Ruby said, "It is worse than that." Leona and Jack talked about mutual friends for about five minutes, and then they parted. The encounter seemed innocent, yet the telephone link is certainly real. Were the "mutual friends" Barbara and Virginia Davis?

In order to make sense of these clues, judicious speculation is in order. Since Leona was a photographer, she may have done some jobs for the Carousel Club. Perhaps the Davis sisters were seeking employment at the Carousel Club. Jack Ruby may have introduced them to Leona Miller to pose for pictures. When the Tippit murder was being planned, Ruby recruited the Davis sisters as planted witnesses who would give an officially approved version of how Tippit was killed. Leona Miller was the go-between in setting them up at the apartment near the corner of Tenth and Patton.

An explanation of the Tippit shooting as a well-planned ambush makes sense of the facts we have at hand. It certainly was not a random encounter between a police officer and a desperate fugitive, as Warren Commission proponents claim.

... In order to make sense of these clues, judicious speculation is in order. Since Leona was a photographer, she may have done some jobs for the Carousel Club. Perhaps the Davis sisters were seeking employment at the Carousel Club. Jack Ruby may have introduced them to Leona Miller to pose for pictures. When the Tippit murder was being planned, Ruby recruited the Davis sisters as planted witnesses who would give an officially approved version of how Tippit was killed. Leona Miller was the go-between in setting them up at the apartment near the corner of Tenth and Patton.

An explanation of the Tippit shooting as a well-planned ambush makes sense of the facts we have at hand. It certainly was not a random encounter between a police officer and a desperate fugitive, as Warren Commission proponents claim.

The latter part I can agree with. As to the former ... I thought you'd said "judicious?!"

It is certainly interesting that the two Davis sisters, who said they heard the shots, saw the killer crossing their lawn, found two of the shells he discarded (which experts said were fired from Oswald's gun), and identified Oswald in a lineup as the man who crossed their lawn, had the same telephone number as a friend of Jack Ruby. I don't know what it means but I hate coincidences.

It is certainly interesting that the two Davis sisters, who said they heard the shots, saw the killer crossing their lawn, found two of the shells he discarded (which experts said were fired from Oswald's gun), and identified Oswald in a lineup as the man who crossed their lawn, had the same telephone number as a friend of Jack Ruby. I don't know what it means but I hate coincidences.

One other number in Ruby's book was the Dallas Sheraton.

This is where the Secret Service and George Bush were at on 11/22/63.

Seems as if Ruby is the wild card who can be linked, albeit tenuously, to all three (JFK, LHO, Tippit) of the murders.

Chuck

Coincidences? Like the fact that T.F. Bowley worked at one of Jack Ruby's nightclubs in the late '50s? :o

Coincidences? Like the fact that T.F. Bowley worked at one of Jack Ruby's nightclubs in the late '50s?

speaking of coincidences...

Q. George Boja get to know Lee very well?

A. I don't know.

Q. Did he see him often?

A. I don't know.

Q. Did he ever see Lee?

A. Yes.

Q. Did you know that George Boja lived next door to Jack Ruby in Dallas?

A. It was coincidence.

From : http://www.history-matters.com/archive/jfk...orter_0010a.htm

William, Miller was her maiden name. She was interviewed by FBI in her married name - Lane. Ruby referring to her by her married name is suggestive of having known her for many, many years (she had teenage sons).

The WC were quick to dismiss her name as significant during Crafard's testimony:

Mr. GRIFFIN. There is a line under that telephone number, "UN-3" and then "UN-3" is scratched out and then on the following line there is a name written. What is that name?

Mr. CRAFARD. Leona Miller.

Mr. GRIFFIN. Who was she?

Mr. CRAFARD. I believe she was a girl that called in connection with or in answer to an ad that Jack Ruby had in the paper for waitresses.

Mr. GRIFFIN. So this entry, "Leona Miller" would not represent somebody whom Jack called regularly?

Mr. CRAFARD. Not to my knowledge; no, sir.

Mr. GRIFFIN. It doesn't really go with the group of numbers then that we have been talking about which were sort of permanent numbers?

Mr. CRAFARD. That is right.

Leona obviously had talents above and beyond waitressing, and as you'll note, her name was in the part of the notepad dedicated to regular contacts. Crafard's testimony that it was there in error is just unbelievable - unless it was an entirely different "Leona Miller" ie it was not Leona Lane.

I had someone check the '62 and '63 Dallas phone directories for Lane's number. Neither home nor business number (Van Gogh Studios) was anything like the one listed by Crafard. I also had a check made under "Leona Miller" and there was one listing. She lived at 624 1/2 W 10th and her number was WH 6-9847.

Jack Ruby saw Leona Lane (nee Miller) when he went to the synagogue on the night of November 22. He told the Warren Commission:

"I went out to the synagogue and I went through the line and I spoke to Rabbi Silverman, and I thanked him for going to visit my sister at the hospital. She was in a week prior and had just gotten out. I don't remember the date. Then he had a confirmation--this is the night prior to the confirmation. They serve little delicacies. So in spite of the fact of the mood I was in, I strolled into the place, and I think I had a little glass of punch. Nothing intoxicating, just a little punch they serve there. I didn't speak to anyone. One girl, Leona, said "Hello, Jack," and I wasn't in a conversational mood whatsoever. I left the club--I left the synagogue and I drove by the Bali-Hai Restaurant."

Who was Leona? In a March 1985 article titled "Jack Ruby and J.D. Tippit: Coincidence or Conspiracy," Jerry Rose mentioned a link between a Leona, and Barbara and Virginia Davis, witnesses to the Tippit shooting. In the Dallas police records, Barbara and Virginia Davis had the telephone number WH 3-8120. This same number appears in Ruby's notebook as "Leona Miller, WH 3-8120."

Leona was a native of Chicago. In 1956 she and her mother, Esther Miller, moved to Dallas, where they became friends of Phyllis and Sam Ruby. In 1959 they met Jack, Sam's brother, at a Passover dinner held in Sam's home. (Commission Exhibits 2282 and 2283). Leona later became a professional photographer in Dallas at Van Gogh Studios.

On November 22, Leona, Esther, and Leona's two teenage sons went to the Shearith Israel Synagogue to attend a memorial service held in honor of the late President. After the service was over at 11:00 pm, coffee and refreshments were served in the reception room. It was there that Leona saw Jack Ruby standing alone. Leona had seen Jack about ten or twelve times in the past, but this was the only time she saw him at the synagogue. He looked nervous, upset and depressed. Leona went up to Ruby and greeted him. She introduced him to her mother and sons, reminding him that he had met them once before at Sam's house. After the introductions, Mrs. Lane said how terrible the assassination of President Kennedy had been, and Ruby said, "It is worse than that." Leona and Jack talked about mutual friends for about five minutes, and then they parted. The encounter seemed innocent, yet the telephone link is certainly real. Were the "mutual friends" Barbara and Virginia Davis?

In order to make sense of these clues, judicious speculation is in order. Since Leona was a photographer, she may have done some jobs for the Carousel Club. Perhaps the Davis sisters were seeking employment at the Carousel Club. Jack Ruby may have introduced them to Leona Miller to pose for pictures. When the Tippit murder was being planned, Ruby recruited the Davis sisters as planted witnesses who would give an officially approved version of how Tippit was killed. Leona Miller was the go-between in setting them up at the apartment near the corner of Tenth and Patton.

William, Miller was her maiden name. She was interviewed by FBI in her married name - Lane. Ruby referring to her by her married name is suggestive of having known her for many, many years (she had teenage sons).

The WC were quick to dismiss her name as significant during Crafard's testimony:

Mr. GRIFFIN. There is a line under that telephone number, "UN-3" and then "UN-3" is scratched out and then on the following line there is a name written. What is that name?

Mr. CRAFARD. Leona Miller.

Mr. GRIFFIN. Who was she?

Mr. CRAFARD. I believe she was a girl that called in connection with or in answer to an ad that Jack Ruby had in the paper for waitresses.

Mr. GRIFFIN. So this entry, "Leona Miller" would not represent somebody whom Jack called regularly?

Mr. CRAFARD. Not to my knowledge; no, sir.

Mr. GRIFFIN. It doesn't really go with the group of numbers then that we have been talking about which were sort of permanent numbers?

Mr. CRAFARD. That is right.

Leona obviously had talents above and beyond waitressing, and as you'll note, her name was in the part of the notepad dedicated to regular contacts. Crafard's testimony that it was there in error is just unbelievable - unless it was an entirely different "Leona Miller" ie it was not Leona Lane.

I had someone check the '62 and '63 Dallas phone directories for Lane's number. Neither home nor business number (Van Gogh Studios) was anything like the one listed by Crafard. I also had a check made under "Leona Miller" and there was one listing. She lived at 624 1/2 W 10th and her number was WH 6-9847.

I think it's worth considering that Leona Miller may have been related to Larry Miller, arrested as part of the Fort Hood weapons thefts on November . This might help to explain why Leona used her maiden name when calling Ruby, and why the Bureau and WC attempted to segregate Leona Miller from Leona Lane, as though they were two different people. [Arrested with Miller was Donnell Darius Whitter, a garage mechanic who had done work on Ruby's car.]

Moreover, while we cannot determine with certainty the precise date upon which Leona Miller placed her call to Jack Ruby [in order that it be noted in Crafard's book], if we accept that Crafard entered these in-coming calls in approximate chronology of when they were received, this is what we find. Crafard began work for Ruby on about November 1, and Ruby opened his post office box on November 7. Leona Miller's call to Ruby was placed somewhere between these two events. Unless Crafard made a serious error in writing down her phone number, she placed that call from the residence of the Davis sisters.

On November 18, the Fort Hood weapons bust took place. It allegedly involved Thomas Masen [whose phone number - in crudely coded form - is found among Ruby's effects], who was arrested two days later. At this point, Ruby visits with bail bondsmen and speaks with lawyer Pete White, a fact that the WC seemed as anxious not to plumb as it was anxious to dispose of Leona Miller during Crafard's testimony.

Two days after Masen's arrest - four days after Miller and Whitter had been busted - Ruby met with Leona Miller at the synagogue on the night of the assassination. This could all simply be happenstance, but in a case already claustrophobic with coincidence, it would be helpful to determine whether Larry Miller had a sister or aunt or other relative named Leona Miller. If so, it could put a wholly different complexion on the murder of J.D. Tippit, the proximity of the Davis sisters to the crime, and Ruby's role in all of this.

The number WH3-8120 in the 1963 Coles was listed to Laura and Phillip Thomas on 704 Vermont. I believe that the Thomases had relinguished this number and then the number went to the Davis sisters in late 1963. They had moved to Dallas during the autumn of 1963. They left Dallas with their husbands to go to Athens in December 1963.