The Education Forum

The Parkland "scuffle" for the JFK body

Some questions:

Who actually took credit for finding the bullet?

What time was the bullet found?

Where can I find out more from the Warren Report about the "finding" of this bullet?

Blair, according to the official report, which, of course may contain more fairy tales than a brothers Grimm compendium.

"OP Wright, personel officer Parkland Hospital, was called by an employee Mr Tomlinson who pointed out to him a bullet, which was on a Hospital Carrage situated in the ground floor Emergency Unit. He ( Wright) estimated the time as being within one hour of President Kennedy being brought to the Hospital." He in turn passed the Bullet on to Agent Richard Johnson who passed it to James Rowley of the Secret service. It finally ends up in the possetion of Mr Frazier of the Eff Bee Eye....BTW he never positvely identified CE 399 as being the same as the Bullet he handed to Johnson.

I have a taped interview of Henry Wade, Dallas dist. attorney, also of { ROE vs. WADE }, where he says a nurse discovered the Magic Bullet and handed it to him.

Jim { no all caps } Feemster

O.P. Wright submitted a written report dated 12/4/63 to Administrator C.J. Price on his activities from 12:30 pm 11/22 through 11/23. In this 4-page, single-spaced typed report Wright makes no mention at all of seeing a bullet or being given a bullet or passing along a bullet to someone else. However, he devotes 3 paragraphs to the fact that he was handed a wrist watch that he was told belonged to the president.

Wright does make an interesting statement about the casket. He says it was moved "into the area where the late President's body was. Approximately thirty minutes later, the casket was brought out through the door. I was told that it contained the body of the late President." IOW he wouldn't necessarily put any money on it.

Wasn't Dave Powers on that filght?

Powers is seen here at the far right, as was pointed out to me by Gary Mack, though Powers insisted after Lifton's book came out that he never left the casket and that Lifton was full of "malarkey."

powers_Small.jpg

Image Number: 1A-7-WH63Credit: LBJ Library Photo by Cecil Stoughton

Image Date: 11/22/1963

Event: Swearing in of Lyndon B. Johnson as President

Description: Gen. Clifton, Jacqueline Kennedy, Congressman Albert Thomas, President Lyndon B. Johnson (back to camera), Merriman Smith (in shadow), Judge Sarah T. Hughes (behind Mrs. Johnson), Jerry Kivitt, Lady Bird Johnson, Congressman Homer Thornberry (behind Mrs. Johnson), Chuck Roberts (viewed in profile), Congressman Jack Brooks, Dr. Burkley, Bill Moyers (behind Dr. Burkley), Liz Carpenter

Powers insisted after Lifton's book came out that he never left the casket and that Lifton was full of "malarkey."

This statement was attributed to Powers by Harrison Livingstone. David Lifton offered $500 if Livingstone could provide a tape or a transcript of Livingstone's interview/conversation with Powers. Lifton later upped his offer to $1,000, but last I heard Livingstone has yet to claim the money.

If in fact Powers did agree to discuss the assassination with Livingsone, this would have been a radical departure from his standard practice of never discussing the assassination with private researchers.

If in fact Powers did agree to discuss the assassination with Livingsone, this would have been a radical departure from his standard practice of never discussing the assassination with private researchers.

Whether or not Powers wished to be interviewed by Livingstone, I can imagine that he might react as he allegedly did to a question about Lifton's theory before hanging up the phone.

In any case Powers was interviewed by at least one researcher. I received the following a couple of weeks ago from Gary Mack (regarding Tip O'Neill's story that Powers and O'Donnell both heard shots from the front):

"I interviewed Powers many years ago, 1979/1980, somewhere in there. He confirmed O'Neill's story but added that neither man was ever threatened to change their story or back off. He said they both thought one or more of the shots came from the front. He said that it seemed to them like investigators just weren't interested in what they had to say."

Edited by Ron Ecker

Powers insisted after Lifton's book came out that he never left the casket and that Lifton was full of "malarkey."

Since the photo shows Powers attending the swearing-in (from the look on his face I doubt he could ever forget that moment), it follows that -- if we were to believe Livingstone -- Powers lied about staying with the casket.

Whether or not Powers wished to be interviewed by Livingstone, I can imagine that he might react as he allegedly did to a question about Lifton's theory before hanging up the phone.

People are free to imagine anything they want to imagine. For example, I could imagine Powers hanging up the phone long before the caller even got a chance to raise the question of AF1. Leaving imagination aside, however, I will believe that Powers made the statements attributed to him by Livingstone when Livingstone lays claim to Lifton's thousand dollars.

People are free to imagine anything they want to imagine. For example, I could imagine Powers hanging up the phone long before the caller even got a chance to raise the question of AF1. Leaving imagination aside, however, I will believe that Powers made the statements attributed to him by Livingstone when Livingstone lays claim to Lifton's thousand dollars.

This is not worth arguing about. I don't care if Livingstone tries to collect from Lifton or not. One thing I know for certain is that Powers did not stay with the coffin.

• 4 years later...