The Education Forum

photo alteration by the media

Jack, I don't know where I picked that one up. It may have been the Marsh collection. The source will no doubt emerge in time

Can you identify the building in the distance, behind the sign post? Can you see the fingers on the knee/leg, see how its dark between them? This would indicate there is indeed something obstructing the view immediately behind the fingers, such as a leg for example.

Bill, when you photograph something closeup like that, that which is closest appears disproportionally large, such as the wrist in your photo. You need to get someone else to adopt poses at a distance, with lighting as in photo. Also, the hand is bent back at the wrist. The way you have it, Kennedy would be lying in an impossible situation. You need to think spasticity perhaps, tai chi, wing chun etc? See the hand shake photo again for hints. Craig is also pointing out some obvious things to consider.

Interesting things are being said by Craig about what type of images CAN be taken seriously. This aspect is particularly important when considering other images and what people see in them. Pivotal pieces of past research are in question.

Edited by John Dolva

• Replies 483
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jack

In a good close up of the hand area you can see there is something hanging on the door, there are two hooks visible on the outside of the limo.

It looks very similar to Jackies hand bag, approximately the same color and size.

I beleive this is what hill is holding on to.

I will try and find the large color blow up which shows it clearly.

Robin...I do not see "Jackie's handbag" anywhere in the photo. Her purse

was a dark rectangle with a LIGHT-COLORED circular handle that looked like rope.

Show me your "handbag". Here is mine.

It makes no sense that Hill would reach down into the seat to pickup a purse

when people were bleeding and dying. Did he testify that he picked up her

purse?

Jack

Jack, I don't know where I picked that one up. It may have been the Marsh collection. The source will no doubt emerge in time

Can you identify the building in the distance, behind the sign post? Can you see the fingers on the knee/leg, see how its dark between them? This would indicate there is indeed something obstructing the view immediately behind the fingers, such as a leg for example.

Bill, when you photograph something closeup like that, that which is closest appears disproportionally large, such as the wrist in your photo. You need to get someone else to adopt poses at a distance, with lighting as in photo. Also, the hand is bent back at the wrist. The way you have it, Kennedy would be lying in an impossible situation. You need to think spasticity perhaps, tai chi, wing chun etc? See the hand shake photo again for hints. Craig is also pointing out some obvious things to consider.

Interesting things are being said by Craig about what type of images CAN be taken seriously. This aspect is particularly important when considering other images and what people see in them. Pivotal pieces of past research are in question.

I remember the building in the background being on the east side of Stemmons in the

vicinity of Oak Lawn. The sign may be for the Oak Lawn exit. If we knew the address

of Corham Chevrolet, it would help. The Corham building was on the west side of

the freeway. Anybody have a 1963 Dallas directory?

The area is so built up now it would be hard to locate.

Jack

http://terraserver-usa.com/image.aspx?T=1&...ALat=32.7897677

Let's try to pin point it?

In 1986 aerial, zoomable to the degree indicated in image. If you indicate where to pan to, zoom in on etc?

EDIT:: could you post/email the whole of Jackie, please? (I wish to study the blood on her) Where's her hat?

Edited by John Dolva

Jack

I'm not sure what it is, what is it between Jackie and the car door.

Or is it just part of the door. ?

Also apon having a closer look at the image there are no hooks, what i called a hook, is actually the hinge area of the door.

Edited by Robin Unger

Dolva's full "opposite Corham" photo enlarged and sharpened.

Miller is likely the photographer at left with the tripod. This pic

was shot by someone dangerously in the Stemmons freeway

median! Is the photographer seen in the Miller photo? Do we

know the photographer's name?

Jack

Gary Mack told me it is the James Hankins. It was published twelve years ago by Richard Trask in

Pictures of the Pain, where it appears on page 245.

Bill Miller

I remember the building in the background being on the east side of Stemmons in the

vicinity of Oak Lawn. The sign may be for the Oak Lawn exit. If we knew the address

Jack

Corham Art Flower Co.

1645 Stemmons

RI1-1073

There was no Corham Chevrolet in any early 60's directory. Corham was only listed in the phone book. It was about 1/2 block below Oak Lawn on the southbound service road.

Robin...I believe what you think is a purse is the SEATING AREA FOR

THE BUBBLETOP, WITH HOLES FOR ATTACHING THE BUBBLETOP.

Note the hole in each I have marked A.

HOWEVER, IT COULD BE THIS AREA THAT HILL HAS HIS HAND ON,

and not a handhold, as the photo seems to show.

Jack

Edited by Jack White

This has gotten nuttier by the post. It doesn't matter if I take a photo of my hand from 5 feet away or from two feet .... the closer to the camera - the larger the image, but it can be scaled down to any distance. If you cannot see the problem with the missing part of the hand, then you have no business even trying to tackle photo interpretation.

Bill Miller

Dolva's full "opposite Corham" photo enlarged and sharpened.

Miller is likely the photographer at left with the tripod. This pic

was shot by someone dangerously in the Stemmons freeway

median! Is the photographer seen in the Miller photo? Do we

know the photographer's name?

Jack

Gary Mack told me it is the James Hankins. It was published twelve years ago by Richard Trask in

Pictures of the Pain, where it appears on page 245.

Bill Miller

Jack

Corham Art Flower Co.

1645 Stemmons

RI1-1073

There was no Corham Chevrolet in any early 60's directory. Corham was only listed in the phone book. It was about 1/2 block below Oak Lawn on the southbound service road.

Amazing. I heard many years ago from Penn or Mary that it was a Chevrolet dealership.

I guess I have been wrong for many years. Seems like a huge building for a flower shop.

I think it may have been Penn who told me it was a Chevy dealer. The location you found

seems correct.

Jack

If terraserver is correct, if address is correct, if sign on aerial is correct, then the Hankins photo predates the Miller by a moment.

on image:: blue miller, red corham, green Hankins, yellow sign

EDIT:: image added:: correct sequence?

Edited by John Dolva

If the man (?) holding the baby is taking a photo as well, at this moment and if that is Haskins, then a second view of this moment may exist.

If the man (?) holding the baby is taking a photo as well, at this moment and if that is Haskins, then a second view of this moment may exist.

John...you see it as a man holding an infant in the median

of a busy freeway, camera in one hand, baby in other;

I see it as a photographer with four cameras; shooting

a pistol-grip movie camera, with a 35mm camera with

telephoto lens dangling on a strap, a wide angle camera

with auxilliary viewfinder used to make the extant photo;

and a fourth black camera; I have been there many times,

before zoom lenses, WITH 3 CAMERAS AROUND MY NECK.

I doubt the baby...BUT IT DOES LOOK LIKE ONE. But would

anyone driving on a busy freeway stop, grab baby and

camera in each hand to take a photo? Who was holding

the baby while he drove?

(I don't think the photographer was Squire Haskins; they

said James Hankins).

Jack

His hand is just under the little girls head. Her head is in front of the man's face.

Bill Miller