The Education Forum

Trench Coat and Badge

Ed LeDoux

Hello all,

Looking for info on the Trench Coated man with Hat Badge seen in Bell film.

Robin said John Dolva may shed some light on this mystery man.

I am posting the Bell Frames in Question as well as Some similar Hat Badges and also some from my late Fathers time as Captain in the Anchorage Fire Dept. As you will see the Breast Shield (Badge on your chest) are usually different from the Hat Badges. I will know more after Christmas, as some friends are going to show these pictures to "older" relatives who were in various services in Dallas at that time. Some early returns pointed to the Navy. The direction he was heading was toward the Terminal Annex Building which may mean Fed, or Government employee. Some ideas I had were, in no particular order:

Firefighter

Prison/Corrections

Federal Marshall (usually rounded shaped w/star in center)

Civil Service

Military(Navy, Etc.)

Government: Local, County, State, Federal.

Note the black visor and gold piping

Close, but remember Hat Badges are slightly different than shields.

These are a few badges (Shields) of interest, although not Hat Badges. The Houston is circa 1960, no date on the Navy Police one.

Some of my Dads uniform hats and badges, others are in AK State Archives in Juneau,but this gives the idea of difference between Hat Badge and Shield.

As well as this combination,

Ed

"Badges.....we don't need no stinking badges!"

Edited by Ed LeDoux

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great thread Ed. He's been a constant sore for me as well. I remember being told that he was DPD - he isn't. And if he was, he certainly wouldn't be waltzing across the lawn with a lady at his side during this monumental event. I was trying to ID him as a Submarine Commander - due to the JFCOTT stuff and some other bizarre stuff that I had heard. No clue - but it would be great to put this one to bed. I alleged that he purposely avoided the camera. Just an opinion.

- lee

I think you're in a good position to actally find the answer to this one, Ed.

I've looked at it and continue to keep an eye out for badges in photos of the day, or a clearer Bell frame.

Here's just a collage of some things. What's the lady carrying?

The coat on the traffic cop is yellow.

There are some badges that have some features but none that have all, so the ones here are definitely not the ones, but I noticed at the time that some surrounding states were more likely to have wings, though that particular shaped wing perhaps not, except some MS departments.

It seems made up of wings, a star, a particular outline and some scrolls for writing.

I never thought to look at the piping. It'll be good to see what you come up with.

>Great thread Ed. He's been a constant sore for me as well. I remember being told that he was DPD - he isn't. And if he was, he certainly wouldn't be waltzing across the lawn with a lady at his side during this monumental event. I was trying to ID him as a Submarine Commander - due to the JFCOTT stuff and some other bizarre stuff that I had heard. No clue - but it would be great to put this one to bed. I alleged that he purposely avoided the camera. Just an opinion.<

Thanks Lee.

You are correct, not DPD.

Can't tell if the lady is with him, though it may be that she is. You know those Navy guys got a lot of action. It's the tattoos.

Ex-Thresher crewman/officer, or Connally supporter? Could go either way (killer or clapper) lol. If he was driving Wing's Rambler we can get a two for one deal.

Hopefully I can get a good lead from someone after the holidays and wrap this one up.

Some are just camera shy, nothing sinister about that.......or is there?

Ed

The bag and coat are obvious. It's the long narrow thing that extends up to in front of the cuff of her top and its shadows that needs explaining.

Maybe it's just curtain rods?

Nice job Ed.

Hi Lee.

Good to see you back posting. !

Bernice, i agree with you that the lady appears to be carrying a bag.

I also think that the man seems to be shielding his face with his hat.

Hi Robin:

Either that, or speaking into a something, or coughing.....??

I have noticed that his coat has been and is being called a trench coat, for some time,

it appears now it could possibley be a plastic see through...

It's possible John, that her coat could be showing reflections on the plastic from the sun the same as

up at her shoulder and other areas.....seems similar ..?

B

Edited by Bernice Moore

>I think you're in a good position to actally find the answer to this one, Ed<

Thank you John. I have some connections with the Fire Dept. due to my Dad, and that could help rule them in or out.

Navy Police is a good candidate, I just need a Hat Badge from that time period for comparison.

>Here's just a collage of some things.

There are some badges that have some features but none that have all, so the ones here are definitely not the ones, but I noticed at the time that some surrounding states were more likely to have wings, though that particular shaped wing perhaps not, except some MS departments. <

Nice job on this group, many come close but no winners. The Eagle is quite large, and protruding, I see it better with your excellent collage.

>It seems made up of wings, a star, a particular outline and some scrolls<

Yes. The first time I saw it I thought, oh, a star, and had me thinking "cop", but its sadly its not a DPD hat badge.

caption reads "White uniform cap and visor on Traffic Division officers." thanks to Jerry Dealey & Steve Thomas for this.

I agree with Bernice- the lady has what looks to be a large black purse.

I am leaning toward a black/dark gray rubberized rain coat (ala "Escape From Alcatraz") and is another lead to follow (Great idea Bernice, thanks). Vintage rain coats used by the Mythbusters could be a start, and is another link to Federal Bureau of Prisons- could be standard issue.

All great suggestions! Good to see this is a well received topic. Thank you.

Ed

Edited by Ed LeDoux

Hello Bernice,

>Either that, or speaking into a something, or coughing.....??<

Smoking?

Robin,

>Nice job Ed.<

Thanks.

Superb blow up of Bell frames. Different woman? Maybe the purse is LIGHT light colored and we see it in shadow, but not the same woman. Notice the green and white car has barely moved and she is in the left of the frame.

John,

LOL! curtain rods.............

>I have lightened it some, she may be carrying a purse..possible his

rain coat is also a see through..<

Bernice,

I see her also carrying her own lightweight raincoat around her hand and purse.

Ed

Hello Bernice,

>Either that, or speaking into a something, or coughing.....??<

Smoking?

Robin,

>Nice job Ed.<

Thanks.

Superb blow up of Bell frames. Different woman? Maybe the purse is LIGHT light colored and we see it in shadow, but not the same woman. Notice the green and white car has barely moved and she is in the left of the frame.

John,

LOL! curtain rods.............

Well, I think this is a very interesting and potentially lucrative area of analysis; a couple of observations.

The Badge: The top half of the badge appears octahon shaped while the bottom half is more standarized looking.....I did some image searches under google image "law enforcement badges then "search within results"

then, tried "early 1960's".....based on preliminary results,.....nothing identical popped up; next stop.....Countries which hold potential linkage based on background of the "unusual suspects," French....Mob....Corsican.....Marseilles....Mexico, Canadian, Hungarian, GERMAN, intelligence, a US Law enforcement particular state badge......?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Badge

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=...amp;btnG=Search

Potentially, it could even be a phony badge, as in not an official badge and therefore, not limited to traditional, or, known design.....

Regarding the women...To me, [and obviously a individual view] the woman who appears alone does not appear to me to be the same woman as the one, next to the ostensible policeman. Woman w/policeman is in a skirt, the other woman is [perhaps] wearing slacks?

The I.D.[ing] of the badge seems very do-able.

Edited by Robert Howard