The Education Forum

Chuck Barris

Has anyone read Chuck Barris' autobiography Confessions of a Dangerous Mind or seen the movie of the same title? There is one scene in the movie (I have not read the book) that is set in 1963. Barris is being trained to be a CIA assassin. As he leaves the training session he says goodbye to a fellow operative who he calls "Lee".

Has anyone read Chuck Barris' autobiography Confessions of a Dangerous Mind or seen the movie of the same title? There is one scene in the movie (I have not read the book) that is set in 1963. Barris is being trained to be a CIA assassin. As he leaves the training session he says goodbye to a fellow operative who he calls "Lee".

John, I've read the book and seen the movie. Don't recall any mention of Lee. You may not realize it but the book is a giant put-on.

Barris was a game-show creator and host, kind of a Benny Hill character. Come time to write his memoirs, he realized how boring it all would be. So he spiced it up by creating a subplot in which his game-show career was but a cover for his real occupation: CIA assassin. The book is well-written and a bit of a hoot. The game show host as CIA assassin bit works as a metaphor for Barris' utter disregard for his fellow man. It's not to be taken literally, however... Or is it? (I'm pretty sure Barris has never admitted it was a hoax.)

John, I've read the book and seen the movie. Don't recall any mention of Lee. You may not realize it but the book is a giant put-on.

Barris was a game-show creator and host, kind of a Benny Hill character. Come time to write his memoirs, he realized how boring it all would be. So he spiced it up by creating a subplot in which his game-show career was but a cover for his real occupation: CIA assassin. The book is well-written and a bit of a hoot. The game show host as CIA assassin bit works as a metaphor for Barris' utter disregard for his fellow man. It's not to be taken literally, however... Or is it? (I'm pretty sure Barris has never admitted it was a hoax.)

While I haven't read the book or seen the movie, I did see a history of TV game shows that had a segment on Barris and interview with him, and he believes himself. There's a lot on Barris on the internet.

Jessica Wilcox (Candy Jones) was recruited because she traveled extensively, the same excuse Barris uses, so its plausable that he was utilized as an asset.

Professional assassin? Who would brag about it, if true?

Where was he on November 22, 1963?

Or rather, what widow was he behind?

BK

While I haven't read the book or seen the movie, I did see a history of TV game shows that had a segment on Barris and interview with him, and he believes himself. There's a lot on Barris on the internet.

Jessica Wilcox (Candy Jones) was recruited because she traveled extensively, the same excuse Barris uses, so its plausable that he was utilized as an asset.

BK

Bill, if you read the book or see the movie, you'll see it's clear that the CIA assassin angle is but a literary device through which Barris explores his cold-bloodedness and lack of concern for others. As he learns to love he simultaneously loses interest in his occupation. He has to chose between a sexy fellow assassin (Julia Roberts) and the girl next door (Drew Barrymore), etc. It's a put-on.

BK

Bill, if you read the book or see the movie, you'll see it's clear that the CIA assassin angle is but a literary device through which Barris explores his cold-bloodedness and lack of concern for others. As he learns to love he simultaneously loses interest in his occupation. He has to chose between a sexy fellow assassin (Julia Roberts) and the girl next door (Drew Barrymore), etc. It's a put-on.

The tone of the film is that it is a "put-on". Apparently, according to the web, he refuses to say whether the CIA story is true or not. However, as someone living in the UK, this seems a very strange sort of joke.

In 1965, Barris was behind an interesting one hour special titled, 'Quiet Crisis'. It dealt with Stewart Udall's revelation that resources were dwindling dangerously. This was an independent enterprise even though Barris was associated with ABC at the time.

The program featured Robert Kennedy narrating his late brothers words. Some at ABC were not all that happy with Barris and this offering. I think Barris tried to unload it at another network. I have no idea if it ever screened on U.S. television.

James

Haven't read the book or seen the movie, but I remember Barris saying that he got his first job at the TV network with the help of a top executive reference that he used on his application. The reference was a name that he simply copied off of the building's directory. Any job hunters out there might want to try it.

I remember Barris's "Gong Show" all too well. "American Idol" is a direct descendant, they just did away with the gong.

Haven't read the book or seen the movie, but I remember Barris saying that he got his first job at the TV network with the help of a top executive reference that he used on his application. The reference was a name that he simply copied off of the building's directory. Any job hunters out there might want to try it.

I remember Barris's "Gong Show" all too well. "American Idol" is a direct descendant, they just did away with the gong.

Those questioning Barris' judgment in pretending to be a CIA assassin should know that Barris' programs were in notoriously bad taste. Two incidents stand out: on the Newlywed Game, in answer to the question "What's the strangest place you and your spouse have made whoopie?", a man answered "In the butt." While rumored to have been an urban legend, George Clooney found the footage for the movie. Later, in his final FU to the censors, Barris brought "The Popsicle Twins" on the Gong Show; they were two lovely teen girls whose talent just so happened to be simulating fellatio on a Popsicle.

It's been awhile since I saw the movie, but IIRC it was the George Clooney

case officer character who passes by two guys at the CIA training camp and

he says, "Hi Jack. Hi Lee."

Or something to that effect, fwiw, etc.

Dear John, Paley's private secretary (she had been his secretary of over 20 years and she was in her late 70s) told a JFK researcher that Paley ran a assassination group out of a organization called Shelter Rock (this was all stated before in the ED Forum post below) She also stated that DEMOH worked for Shelter Rock. Yes,Paley's private number is in the DEMOH phone Volumes (I dont recall ,but Shelter Rock #number might also be there,yeah I think its there)....now from the internet we find====

Barris married Lyn Levy, niece of founder of CBS Paley, which caused her family to disinherit her. Their daughter Della Barris, who often appeared on The Gong Show, died of a drug overdose in 1998 at age 35.++++++

Now some spookulation . If CBS founder's niece is dating someone- he could be checked out by CIA (or even Shelter Rock itself) = a psychological profile made ..and they found out he was of a certain personality ....he might be a good assassin...of course he couldnt work for CBS ..but a competitor ..OH GOOD FUN !! ...(is that how you British say it ??))++++++++++++++

JOHN FRI I lost 3,700 = files I'll work on a photo..(.but my photo should be available to anyone who has a COPA meetings video of Dallas (and Los Angeles) from 3 & 4,5 years ago). I will still need some technical help - with this crazy Explorer Update I have had problems with photos/images and have no scanner. THANKS sg

see link below from this forum on CBS =Paley-Bush-Whitney-DeMoh-Dulles connections

http://educationforum.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=9672

Edited by Steven Gaal

The unknown comic, Gene-Gene the dancing machine, the GONG SHOW

as a cover for dismal foreign assassinations.............

Facts, anyone?

Can anyone place CHUCK BARRIS in a foreign country when a political assassination occurred?

I have read and discovered enough COLD WAR oddities to not discount anything without evidence,

no matter how BIZARRE and apparently "ridiculous" it may seem at first..........

Mr. Clark, If this story is true,he didnt travel under his own name when doing the "deep" work. He is divorced. Besides some stuff on Music for game shows ,this link,( pg 2 of ) was all I found on Lyn Levy,wife during the this possible intel period. thanks sg

http://www.boston.com/news/local/articles/...loses_us_grant/ I found no data ,as yet ,on Span...but I woundnt be suprised if Span would be connected to obtaining low level assets.