The Education Forum

Where to Next? - MEMBERS INPUT NEEDED ON IMPROVING THE FORUM

Hello Everyone,

When I first joined this site, this was the Premier JFK site. Sadly, that is no longer the case. And so having secured the site’s finances, we are interested in hearing your views how we can together return this site to its rightful place on the Internet.

Even though we have taken financial control of the site, this is not OUR site: This is YOUR site and will remain your site for as long as we have financial control. This is about how, together, ALL of us can move this site forward. We do have views and ideas, which we want to share. However what is most important is what do you - fellow forum members - feel needs to be improved OR changed OR added to the site to make it a better site?

So what do you feel needs to happen to improve this forum?

James

Hi James,for a while,I thought the forum was going to close.I suppose a lot of others did to.So I more or less stopped coming here.

Recently I found out you are to continue for the foreseeable future.Perhaps sending forum members a e mail stating the status of the forum would be a good idea.

And thanks for securing the forums future.

I will pass along the idea of a group e-mail. That was something we had thought about. We are interested - since the financial future of the forum is now secured - in how to rekindle the interest in this forum as it was in times past. It was once the premier forum - it would be nice for it to be that again.

James.

Hello Everyone,

When I first joined this site, this was the Premier JFK site. Sadly, that is no longer the case. And so having secured the site’s finances, we are interested in hearing your views how we can together return this site to its rightful place on the Internet.

Even though we have taken financial control of the site, this is not OUR site: This is YOUR site and will remain your site for as long as we have financial control. This is about how, together, ALL of us can move this site forward. We do have views and ideas, which we want to share. However what is most important is what do you - fellow forum members - feel needs to be improved OR changed OR added to the site to make it a better site?

So what do you feel needs to happen to improve this forum?

James

James et al

Thanks for saving the Forum!

Please re-instate the banished and all their now-disappeared posts, if possible.

Peter Lemkin, Jim DiEugenio, even David Reitzes. To name just three.

I agree with the idea that at least some banished posters should be allowed to join this forum again. In fact, I think it would be a nice gesture to start over with a clean slate. In other words, let anyone rejoin that wants to.

Many of those missing voices would certainly provide for some lively debates.

It can be taken as a good sign if RCD was to rejoin. But I gather the point of the topic is forum development. Join what forum?. The forum is what members make it. People join it for what it is and can be. Members make it what it is. Dealing with the matters raised by James is what matters at this point.

I agree with the idea that at least some banished posters should be allowed to join this forum again. In fact, I think it would be a nice gesture to start over with a clean slate. In other words, let anyone rejoin that wants to.

I think it would be a nice gesture to start over with a clean slate.

Declare a amnesty.

Agree.

A forum is its members,and while some may have had a big ego.If I knew as much as them,perhaps I would have a big ego.But they certainly brought lively debate to the table.More members equals more interaction.

We have lots of knowledgeable members,authors etc,but I expect they would rather debate with someone who know,s what they are on about.I am a rookie,late starter and freely admit it.But I learn a lot from good members who have a lot to share.

Declare a amnesty.

Agree.

A forum is its members,and while some may have had a big ego.If I knew as much as them,perhaps I would have a big ego.But they certainly brought lively debate to the table.More members equals more interaction.

We have lots of knowledgeable members,authors etc,but I expect they would rather debate with someone who know,s what they are on about.I am a rookie,late starter and freely admit it.But I learn a lot from good members who have a lot to share.

Yes, then we can all start insulting each other again. LOL

--Tommy :sun

As someone who joined this forum fairly early in its existence, and saw its rise and...decline, I think I know what caused both the rise and decline. The forum really took off, IMO, when Larry Hancock came here to discuss Someone Would Have Talked, and a number of members, including myself, joined in the discussion to ADD bits of info we'd either known for awhile, or had recently discovered. It was that spirit--of helping, and sharing--that led to the forum's growth. John Simkin was then able to use this momentum to build upon his own research. He'd begin a discussion of a book he'd recently acquired, or a new angle that had recently caught his attention, and others would join in to fill in the blanks.

After a few years, however, the momentum began to wane, and many of the threads became threads on what so and so thought he KNEW already, and wanted everyone to agree with. The spirit of support that at one point dominated the forum grew nastier and nastier to the extent that many of the threads were no longer about what might have happened, or what someone just learned, but about how so and so can't be trusted because he believes so and so, etc. As a moderator it became increasingly tiresome, not only in that the flow of new information on the threads slowed to a trickle, but the flow of nastiness got stickier and stickier, to the point where a large percentage of the posts were people complaining about their fellow members or even the moderators.

SO... If this forum is to thrive, it needs an influx of new research... Not just a whole lot of whadda ya think? Not just new theories, but new sources.... There's a ton of little-appreciated or little-known material that needs to be shared and absorbed. A lot of this is only available at the National Archives, but there's plenty at Mary Ferrell as well...

Edited by Pat Speer

Declare a amnesty.

Agree.

Yes, then we can all start insulting each other again. LOL

--Tommy :sun

No need to insult for Paul Trejo has 'solved' the JFK assasination.

Nothing much has been said. Can one take the lack of ideas to mean mambers are satisfied with the forum format as it is. Maybe some other reason. I have some ideas as outlined in this earlier topic http://educationforum.ipbhost.com/index.php?s=340b9b5fcd5d1edba140aaac167b1ce1&showtopic=21289&page=2#entry288912 I've re-read them and am not sure about some things. One thing I've always found unwieldy about the forum is the subforum headings. I think they can be updated, regrouped, renamed. I think it would be helpful if people can feel they can participate without being interested in JFK. I'd like to see some more art related foums. Broader political subforum, environmentalism, womens studies, computers, general, a dedicated divinity sub forum, et.c. which can make housekeeping easier I guess my idea is the more broadly relevant the forum is the broader the audience and the broader skill set of future members. Perhaps then old members not here will be inclined to be members as welll as tempering members asking for a kick in the pants... Just some ideas.

edit typos

Edited by John Dolva