The Education Forum

Philadelphia did-it

What is the topic?

Boo the Broad Street Bullies.

I dont have much except a heavy bag.

I am very much a geographically oriented person. I sort my evidence, in part, geographically. I just happened to notice how freakin heavy my Philly bag is. I threw this thread out there to see if anyone would come-back, saying, "yup, mine is heavy too". 

Bill Kelly has some interesting Philadelphia stuff here:

http://jfkcountercoup.blogspot.com/2011/08/

And if memory serves, he also has something to say about the seemingly disproportionate number of connections between Philly and the assassination, but I can’t find it right now, if in fact it exists. Maybe he’ll join in.

Minutiae: Oswald, or an Oswald impersonator, bought tickets at Top Ten Records on the morning of 11/22/62, bought tickets to Dick Clark’s up-coming appearance in Dallas. You know, The Dick Clark Show, American Bandstand from Philadelphia (until 1964 anyway). 

Edited by Tom Hume

YO ... Yoose guys may be onto something ... Frank Sturgis, (real name Frank Angelo Fiorini) was born in Philadelphia where he lived from 1930 to 1942.  He went to Catholic school and then attended Roosevelt Junior High School, Philadelphia, and Germantown High School, Philadelphia.  In his senior year of high school, Frank joined the Marines on October 5, 1942. He was only 17 years old, and would later claim that before the war, he had strong leanings toward becoming a Catholic priest. He attained the rank of Corporal and survived intensive combat including Iwo Jima, Okinawa and Guadalcanal.  He later suffered from combat fatigue, and escaped three times from the Sun Valley Naval Center before he was given a medical release.  Fiorini was honorably discharged from the Navy on August 30, 1948 and the next day he joined the Army, his third and final armed services branch. During his Army tenure in Berlin and Heidelberg, he worked in an intelligence unit and had a top secret clearance. After receiving an honorable discharge he joined the United States Merchant Marines in 1950 and traveled to and from Europe.

12 minutes ago, Gene Kelly said:

YO ... Yoose guys may be onto something ... Frank Sturgis, (real name Frank Angelo Fiorini) was born in Philadelphia where he lived from 1930 to 1942.  He went to Catholic school and then attended Roosevelt Junior High School, Philadelphia, and Germantown High School, Philadelphia.  In his senior year of high school, Frank joined the Marines on October 5, 1942. He was only 17 years old, and would later claim that before the war, he had strong leanings toward becoming a Catholic priest. He attained the rank of Corporal and survived intensive combat including Iwo Jima, Okinawa and Guadalcanal.  He later suffered from combat fatigue, and escaped three times from the Sun Valley Naval Center before he was given a medical release.  Fiorini was honorably discharged from the Navy on August 30, 1948 and the next day he joined the Army, his third and final armed services branch. During his Army tenure in Berlin and Heidelberg, he worked in an intelligence unit and had a top secret clearance. After receiving an honorable discharge he joined the United States Merchant Marines in 1950 and traveled to and from Europe.

Gene, My Philly bag is bottomless, and so loaded, that a huge, important clump like Sturgis still gets lost in the mix.

Chris: Just had dinner in Ambler, at a nice Italian restaurant called "From the Boot"

Ty: In 1965, Arlen Specter was elected District Attorney of Philadelphia, a position that he would hold until 1973.  He had a 30-year senate career, switched parties (several times), and was a dominant force during the Judiciary Committee’s Supreme Court nomination battles. He helped defeat conservative nominee Robert Bork in 1987, and his aggressive (and unpopular) questioning of law professor Anita Hill four years later — accusing her of “flat-out perjury” — helped secure Judge Clarence Thomas’s confirmation.  He voted to acquit President Bill Clinton on articles of impeachment, using a Scottish law term "Not proved, therefore not guilty".  He performed standup comedy after he lost his senate seat.