The Education Forum
Paul Trejo

Did the Dallas Radical Right kill JFK?

New article regarding Edwin Walker and Billy James Hargis "Midnight Ride" tour. 

[Full disclosure:  I provided some minor research assistance to one of the authors of this article]:

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/wild-road-trip-rallied-conservatives-180970033/

ALSO:   The former President of the John Birch Society (John F. McManus) has now finished his history of the JBS.  The book is available here:

https://www.jbs.org/store/shopjbs/books/the-john-birch-society-its-history-recounted-by-someone-who-was-there-hb

Dr. Caufield discusses the Constitution Party in about 50 pages of his book.  In addition, a major focus by Dr. Caufield pertains to many of the persons connected to that Party such as Joseph A. Milteer, William Potter Gale, Pedro del Valle, Kenneth Goff, and Mary Davison.

Today, after waiting three years, the FBI has released 4 files on Constitution Party -- which I have just uploaded into my Internet Archive webpage (link below).  It will probably take another couple hours for the files to finish uploading due to their size.

CONSTITUTION PARTY - FBI FILES

The FBI HQ file on Constitution Party (HQ 105-124952) is 182pp and covers the period from October 1963 thru May 1966.    However, the FBI sent me a previously-processed version of this file which did NOT apply the death records which I sent to the FBI.  Consequently, many names mentioned in those HQ file documents are redacted but the other files on Constitution Party which I uploaded today (Baltimore, Los Angeles and Philadelphia) have many less redactions.

Baltimore 105-1183 (103pp) covers the period from August 1954 to January 1968

Los Angeles 105-2151 (174pp) covers the period from July 1954 to December 1963

Philadelphia 105-1749 (48pp) covers the period from December 1954 to January 1964

IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO HELP PRESERVE FBI FILES

I have begun a GoFundMe campaign to assist the Center for Right Wing Studies at University of California with preserving my paper FBI files (i.e. the Center is converting my paper files into PDF files which I then add to Internet Archive website so that they can be shared online with everyone--at no cost).  

As of today, more than one million people have accessed my FBI file collection which is online at Internet Archive.

You may read all the details at the link below.  If you have any questions, I will be very happy to answer them.

During the past couple years, I have received literally dozens of emails from scholars, journalists, students, authors, and even from many relatives of individuals who were active in some organization 40 or 50 or 60 years ago.  All of these folks have seen some reference online to my FBI files collection -- and they asked for my help.

I've been able to assist about 65% of these folks but, sometimes, the FBI records which are the subject of their inquiry are not currently among the paper FBI files in my collection which are scheduled to be scanned by a student at UC-Berkeley's Center for Right Wing Studies.  

That is why I created a GoFundMe page -- in the hope that enough additional funds can be raised to finish this project.

There is one additional wrinkle concerning FBI files--especially older ones.  

The FBI has been working at warp-speed to transfer many files to NARA.  The problem with that is....

(a) NARA often takes 2-3 years to process a request and 

(b) even more discouraging -- NARA currently charges 80 cents per page to provide copies of documents (even when they scan paper documents into PDF files on a CD or DVD).  That often means that just one medium or large FBI file from NARA will cost $1000 or $2000 or more to obtain.  

Obviously, that makes historical research into FBI files virtually impossible for almost everyone.

I would therefore very much appreciate your support for saving the FBI files I have obtained over the past 37 years.   

Please forward this email to anyone whom you think would also be interested in saving our history.

Your support would mean a lot to me. Thank you so much!

Ernie Lazar