The Education Forum

Sergio Aracha Smith

7 minutes ago, Ron Bulman said:

Steve, I was finally going to look and I can't get the link to work.

And now it will in my quote but still not in your original post???

He's mentioned in 5 folders in 5 box numbers.  Is that available on line somewhere to read?

Edited by Ron Bulman

Aynesworth illustrates the importance of Aracha.  I'd always taken Sergio for granted, he was out there, somewhere in the peripheral.  He was scattered throughout Jim's book and I didn't connect the different actions by him it related.  Hugh has his own section in it.  He deserves his own thread on this site.  And has one by the creator of it.

When Garrison sent Alcock to Dallas to question Aracha, the CIA spy in his office and traitor to his case, Gurvich, most likely informed Aynesworth.  Hugh's media and CIA  investigative assignment in New Orleans was temporarily re routed back to his old stomping grounds in Dallas.  Sergio Aracha asked to have Dallas DA Henry Wade's assistant DA Bill Alexander present for the questioning as his lawyer (unusual?) , knowing Alcock would refuse.  Hugh and Bill were acquainted from his days in Dallas.  That was on Friday.  Monday the DPD set up a meeting between Aracha and Aynesworth in their offices.  Hugh informed him and them as well about the case.  For Hugh to rush back to Dallas in the midst of his surveillance of Garrison to advise Aracha and the DPD is notable in the bigger picture.  Sergio was knowledgeable enough to be protected, if not intentionally involved.   

2 hours ago, Ron Bulman said:

And now it will in my quote but still not in your original post???

He's mentioned in 5 folders in 5 box numbers.  Is that available on line somewhere to read?

Ron,

Go here:

http://jfk.ci.dallas.tx.us/index.html

Steve Thomas

PS: It's easier to do if you have two windows open - one with the index, and one with the box numbers - it makes it easier to flip back and forth.

This is around the point that Life Magazine fell out with Garrison on the JFK case.

Their team consisted of DIck Billings, Tink Thompson, Ed Kern, Patsy Swank and Holland McCombs.  There is some evidence that Aynesworth interacted with them or, at the very least, knew what they were doing. (Hugh also knew what Garrison was doing through informants in his office.)  He probably set up this interview for McCombs since its clear he was handling SAS through the Dallas Police.

The problem was that McCombs was a friend of Clay Shaw.  And as you can see from his rendition of this interview, that fact shines through in almost every paragraph. In fact, I would not be surprised if he sent it to Shaw for some final editing.  And recall, Billings was a part of Operation Tilt, which used to be called Operation Red Cross. Therefore, when Garrison indicted Shaw and then began to focus on the CIA as the main culprit, that was it for Life. How could it not be considering the close associations of Luce to the Agency.  I mean when Fonzi asked Andrew St. George if he ever worked for the CIA, he replied, "Only when I worked for Life."

22 hours ago, Ron Ecker said:

Arcacha.

At least I'm not the first to make this mistake.  It's spelled Aracha in the index of The Man Who Knew Too Much, though Arcacha in the book itself.  I should have noticed the difference there and elsewhere.

15 hours ago, Bart Kamp said:

R.E. Garrison:  "Why doesn't he ever do anything about the FPCC people and the other Communists when Oswald was certainly associated with them and not with us."  SAS said this after having been in Bannisters office with Oswald?  With a straight face?

Edited by Ron Bulman

18 hours ago, James DiEugenio said:

This is around the point that Life Magazine fell out with Garrison on the JFK case.

Their team consisted of DIck Billings, Tink Thompson, Ed Kern, Patsy Swank and Holland McCombs.  There is some evidence that Aynesworth interacted with them or, at the very least, knew what they were doing. (Hugh also knew what Garrison was doing through informants in his office.)  He probably set up this interview for McCombs since its clear he was handling SAS through the Dallas Police.

The problem was that McCombs was a friend of Clay Shaw.  And as you can see from his rendition of this interview, that fact shines through in almost every paragraph. In fact, I would not be surprised if he sent it to Shaw for some final editing.  And recall, Billings was a part of Operation Tilt, which used to be called Operation Red Cross. Therefore, when Garrison indicted Shaw and then began to focus on the CIA as the main culprit, that was it for Life. How could it not be considering the close associations of Luce to the Agency.  I mean when Fonzi asked Andrew St. George if he ever worked for the CIA, he replied, "Only when I worked for Life."

Thanks for that  Jim

McCombs helped them (T/L) gather various pix and films of the big event.

I have seen various contracts/letters/fees paid/offered about this.

Richard Sprague was involved as well for a while. 

He was friendly with Hugh Aynesworth too.........

• 3 weeks later...

Sergio's involvement in the summer of 1963 with David Phillips was one of the things that caught my attention on this subject.  I'd read before but forgotten about his meeting at Bannister's office to produce the TV telethon supporting the Cuban refugee's.