The Education Forum

The Endlessly Misleading Term, 'Conspiracy Theory'

Does anyone one this thread own a shirt?

Do you wear it?

You have the opportunity to not only see your shirt you can feel it and perhaps even hear it when you move.

When you casually move around a fraction of an inch of your shirt moves.

Is this sometime you're not capable of observing?

Given the bullet hole 4 inches below the bottom of JFK's shirt collar, and the fact that casual movement only causes a fraction of an inch of fabric "ease," the back wound was too low to be associated with the throat wound.

Why are you all letting these nutters off the hook by playing their fake debate game?

Conspiracy in the murder of JFK is a fact to be observed not a "theory" to debate.

Edited by Cliff Varnell

16 hours ago, Ray Mitcham said:
On 8/24/2018 at 4:29 PM, François Carlier said:

Of course !
It's exactly the same mechanism.
The assassination of JFK by Lee Oswald and the moon landings are historical facts, backed by overwhelming, undeniable evidence. Period.
But there are conspiracy believers who refuse to accept the facts and prefer to deny history.
You are no different from the people who deny that NASA put a man on the moon. You use the very same tactics. You just do that for another event, that's all.
So we can safely say that you fall in the category called "conspiracy theorists".

François, Please supply your "overwhelming undeniable evidence" that Oswald assassinated JFK.

Francois sais pas, recherch' no do....

(Adapted from "Rapture," a song performed by Blondie / Debbie Harry. Translation:  "Francois don't know, he don't do research.")

Edited by Sandy Larsen

Just for perspective, my own is why I looked.

https://www.livescience.com/21491-what-is-a-scientific-theory-definition-of-theory.html

https://ncse.com/library-resource/definitions-fact-theory-law-scientific-work

The word theory in popular culture has come to mean a pipe dream unsupported by fact.

Conspiracy has come to mean questionable.

Just my thoughts.  Comments welcome.  If this is nutty tell me. 

Edited by Ron Bulman

9 hours ago, Ron Bulman said:

Just for perspective, my own is why I looked.

https://www.livescience.com/21491-what-is-a-scientific-theory-definition-of-theory.html

https://ncse.com/library-resource/definitions-fact-theory-law-scientific-work

The word theory in popular culture has come to mean a pipe dream unsupported by fact.

Conspiracy has come to mean questionable.

Just my thoughts.  Comments welcome.  If this is nutty tell me. 

Thanks Ron, 

From the page that you shared we have this: "

• Theory: In science, a well-substantiated explanation of some aspect of the natural world that can incorporate facts, laws, inferences, and tested hypotheses.

I have to disagree. A theory is a theory whether or not it is well supported, and it does not have to have any regard to the natural world. Also theories can can be based on untested or untestable hypotheses.

I have always liked this passage from Stephen Hawkinngs' "A Briefer History of Time"

"

Any physical theory is always provisional, in the sense that it is only a hypothesis: you can never prove it. No matter how many times the results of experiments agree with some theory, you can never be sure that the next time the result will not contradict the theory. On the other hand, you can disprove a theory by finding even a single observation that disagrees with the predictions of the theory. As philosopher of science Karl Popper has emphasized, a good theory is characterized by the fact that it makes a number of predictions that could in principle be disproved or falsified by observation. Each time new experiments are observed to agree with the predictions the theory survives, and our confidence in it is increased; but if ever a new observation is found to disagree, we have to abandon or modify the theory.

At least that is what is supposed to happen, but you can always question the competence of the person who carried out the observation.