The Education Forum

Using the JFK Forum

John Simkin

I thought this posting needed its own thread. Please post here your own tips for using the Forum.

I am not a moderator here, and I know next to nothing about computers or software, but I have managed to figure out the simple basics of how the forum software works. I think it would make life so much easier for everyone who reads the forum if members would cease and desist from reposting IN FULL the posts they are responding to.

If you want to address a particular point in someone's post All you have to do is

1. Hit the reply button

2. Delete everything except the text you wish to comment on

3. Make sure you do not delete A/ the FIRST LINE which shows the previous posters name etc. and B/ the final "quote" symbol

4. Then hit PREVIEW POST to make sure you haven't screwed up

Then add your own comments.

THere is also an even easier way to highlight something you wish to comment on. See the column of symbols beginning on the left with the b (BOLD) symbol? ON that column, second from the right is a symbol that will say "wrap in quote tags" when you hold the cursor over it.

First left click the mouse and run the cursor over the the relevant text to highlight it, then click the "wrap in quote tags"

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do this most of the time

But some times I include all quotes if I am debating a subject with someone

If the thread goes onto another page it is much easier to read the how the debate has progressed instead of going back to the last page and looking for the post

And as far as John saying he is wearing out his scroll down wheel on his mouse I have a solution, I dont know if John remembers the old days (he looks kind of young) before that nice wheel was ever on the mouse, we had to scroll down the old way

Just go to the scroll bar at the right side of the screen and you can either click the down arrow or you can grab the blue bar inside the scroll bar and by holding the left click and draging it up or down

I would have thought you knew how to do this, but since you are wearing out your wheel you must not know of this old school method

I hope this helps

Dean

I thought this posting needed its own thread. Please post here your own tips for using the Forum.
I am not a moderator here, and I know next to nothing about computers or software, but I have managed to figure out the simple basics of how the forum software works. I think it would make life so much easier for everyone who reads the forum if members would cease and desist from reposting IN FULL the posts they are responding to.

If you want to address a particular point in someone's post All you have to do is

1. Hit the reply button

2. Delete everything except the text you wish to comment on

3. Make sure you do not delete A/ the FIRST LINE which shows the previous posters name etc. and B/ the final "quote" symbol

4. Then hit PREVIEW POST to make sure you haven't screwed up

Then add your own comments.

THere is also an even easier way to highlight something you wish to comment on. See the column of symbols beginning on the left with the b (BOLD) symbol? ON that column, second from the right is a symbol that will say "wrap in quote tags" when you hold the cursor over it.

First left click the mouse and run the cursor over the the relevant text to highlight it, then click the "wrap in quote tags"

That is too complicated.

Jack

That is too complicated.

Jack

In that case the thing to do is simply DELETE EVERYTHiNG before typing your reply, and just indicate WHO you are replying to.

That is what Dean just did in posting his reply.

Edited by J. Raymond Carroll

Dean

I quoted Ray and Jack, as long as you have the first Quote with the original posters name in it (in this case it is Ray) and the bottom quote at the end you will be fine as long as you post your text under the last quote

I quoted my name only to show that you can take away all of the post but leave what text you need to reply

But like I said, sometimes you need to quote everything if you are in a debate and dont want to get lost

Edited by Dean Hagerman

And as far as John saying he is wearing out his scroll down wheel on his mouse I have a solution, I dont know if John remembers the old days (he looks kind of young) before that nice wheel was ever on the mouse, we had to scroll down the old way

Just go to the scroll bar at the right side of the screen and you can either click the down arrow or you can grab the blue bar inside the scroll bar and by holding the left click and draging it up or down

Dean

Dean-O, you killin' me. I do remember the old school method. The wearing out of the wheel was sarcasm, of course. I'll be 33 in February, so I remember the days of non-wheel mice.

Think of it like this. Most people when reading a thread, know what's going on and what has been said in the previous posts, like reading a book. So re-posting a long quote or large post just gets in the way of the new post. And there are some large posts, essay-like posts, that get repeated over and over and it just clutters up the thread. Quote someone when need be, but delete all the filler. Its not that complicated. Least not for a 33 year old :lol:

If the thread goes onto another page it is much easier to read the how the debate has progressed instead of going back to the last page and looking for the post

I would have thought you knew how to do this, but since you are wearing out your wheel you must not know of this old school method

I hope this helps

Dean

Thanks, Dean...for the offer of help. Young people like you who were raised on computers think all this is easy because it IS to you.

I did not learn (self-taught) to use a computer till I was 64; I am now 83...so I know how to do stuff, BUT DO NOT UNDERSTAND

TECH ASPECTS. I have used a Mac competently for 19 years TO DO THINGS I NEED TO DO. But learning NEW stuff is tough for

me. I only have time to do stuff...not to learn new things to do.

An analogy: I have driven a car competently for more than 60 years, but have only a faint idea what is under the hood or

what makes it work. They say you can't teach an old dog new tricks...well, keep in mind that I am a VERY OLD DOG.

Thanks.

Jack

Dean

Dean-O, you killin' me. I do remember the old school method. The wearing out of the wheel was sarcasm, of course. I'll be 33 in February, so I remember the days of non-wheel mice.

Think of it like this. Most people when reading a thread, know what's going on and what has been said in the previous posts, like reading a book. So re-posting a long quote or large post just gets in the way of the new post. And there are some large posts, essay-like posts, that get repeated over and over and it just clutters up the thread. Quote someone when need be, but delete all the filler. Its not that complicated. Least not for a 33 year old :lol:

John you are killing me, of course I know you were being srcastic, you could not tell I was being srcastic about the "old school" method as well?

Come on, im trying to show your complaining about something that is not going to change, when members are going back and forth with each other they will hit the quote button and then just reply

I try to delete text from quotes when its not needed, but when im going back in forth with say Craig, im not real worried about anyone getting mad that they have to move their mouse wheel down 2 extra strokes to read my post

I hope this helps

Dean

Thanks, Dean...for the offer of help. Young people like you who were raised on computers think all this is easy because it IS to you.

I did not learn (self-taught) to use a computer till I was 64; I am now 83...so I know how to do stuff, BUT DO NOT UNDERSTAND

TECH ASPECTS. I have used a Mac competently for 19 years TO DO THINGS I NEED TO DO. But learning NEW stuff is tough for

An analogy: I have driven a car competently for more than 60 years, but have only a faint idea what is under the hood or

what makes it work. They say you can't teach an old dog new tricks...well, keep in mind that I am a VERY OLD DOG.

Thanks.

Jack

Jack I understand, I tried for a week to teach my grandpa how to use a computer and he got so frustrated and mad that he just quit and gave his computer away

I grew up in the 1980s and did not have a computer in my house, I only used one in school, it was an Apple II with the green screen, all I did was play "Oregon Trail" and nothing else

I did not get a computer until 1997, but since that time I have used one at work and at home, most everything that has to do with a computer I have learned all on my own, but it was easy for me to learn because as you say I was not yet an "old dog" and grew with the technology

My grandpa is used to fixing things with tools as he is a very good mechanic, however he can not fix mistakes on a computer with his tools as he put it

If you ever have a question just PM me, I would be glad to help

Dean

Edit: and Jack I was talking to John about the mouse wheel not to you, I just noticed you thought I was talking about you

Edited by Dean Hagerman

But like I said, sometimes you need to quote everything if you are in a debate and dont want to get lost

Unfortunately too many other members are doing the same thing. The result is that over 90% of what appears here is completely redundant.

I hope this helps

Dean

Thanks.

Jack

hear hear on not bringing down the ruddy long threads, such a waste of resources think of that when you or whomever does...and give the forum a break that john has enabled for all, abuse it like anything else and it eventually will not be there goes for all..... though this has been discussed in the past there are some who constantly and will continue to do so...and JACK A SELF TAUGHT HERE AS WELL MY SON SAID..HERE IS A PC this is how to turn it on HERE IS A BOOK READ...and left.EEK....i admit i did crash a few pcs in my time each a learning experience i told..myself .lol. ^_^ .yeah for the old doggers..though imo your too sharp to be called one yet ....if half on here retain half your ability at your age if they see it that is...they shall be most fortunate..they don't make em like you jack anymore.. :lol: ..include me in there as well jack am proud to say,in the getting up there.. as the years do fly....take good care and best to Sue...b.. :)

Edited by Bernice Moore

Dean, I got the sarcasm, I was kidding by answering you comment about the wheel :lol:

I didn't mean for it to sound like complaining, more like constructive criticism towards making all the great posts easier to read. Its all good.

Bernice, you just quoted Jack and Dean in your post, but it would have made perfect sense without the quotes :D

In ''My Controls'' ( to the right of ''Logged in as...'' ) there are many settings to explore.

One useful one ( on the left list of the ''My Controls'' page ) is ''Board Settings''.

On that page is an option to set the ''Number of posts to show for each topic page'', and ''Number of topics to show for each forum page''.

On the ''drop menu'' box on those lines one can choose up to 40. This is helpful when lots of topics are bumping others off the front page and for continuity in posts.

On the Ed Forum front page, down bottom right, the ''Mark all posts as read'' is useful as well.