The Education Forum

John B. Hurt

• 4 weeks later...
Thank you James

Jim Root

Jim I was on maryferrell.org today and ran across the following blurb, have you ever heard of it, and more importantly does it sound like something John B Hurt could have been a part of? [i apologize if this is old news, or has already been a previous topic of discussion.]

WRINGER PROJECT, ----- -----

Sources: International Dictionary of Intelligence, Leo D. Carl

Mary's

Comments: Project WRINGER was U.S. Army code name for a project to recruit or train linguists for the purpose of debriefing members of the defeated Axis forces after World War II. This project more or less petered out, and with the creation of the U.S. Air Force in 1947, U.S. Air Force members of the WRINGER project were reassigned to other intelligence or counterintelligence duties.

http://www.maryferrell.org/mffweb/archive/...Rec.do?id=10320

Edited by Robert Howard

Robert

I appreciate your interest in this potential avenue of research. As you know the connection of John J. McCloy, Major General Edwin Anderson Walker, General Maxwell Taylor, and the two men assigned by the NSA to investigate potential intelligence links to Lee Harvey Oswald, Meredith Gardner and Frank Rowlett, can all be closely associated with John B. Hurt.

By coincidence or by design Lee Harvey Oswald attempted to call a person with this same name while in custody following the assassination of John F. Kennedy. If John B. Hurt was the man that Oswald was in fact attempting to contact or if Oswald was duped into asking for a John Hurt at a specific number in Raleigh, North Carolina that would be passed on to the highest levels of the intelligence community very quickly, then I believe very strongly that we have uncovered the Rosetta Stone necessary to decode this crime of the century.

If Oswald had attempted to place a “person to person” phone call to a predetermined number (asking for a John Hurt) and if that call had been rejected by a “cut out” (who would then send an alert to the next member up in an intelligence cell) it seems natural that Oswald would then, in a frenzy, seek to find a “correct” number for a person with the name of John Hurt. This would explain why the Dallas Police operators would then retrieve numbers for two different John Hurt’s in the Raleigh, North Carolina area.

Adding additional mystery to this area of research we find that of the five original members of Friedman’s team of cryptologists (April, 1930 Friedman, Sinkov, Rowlett, Kullbeck and Hurt, only Hurt’s work after 1946 remains classified to this day. But Hurt’s own writings (1946 declassified document) suggest that he was very involved in code work in the areas of French, Soviet, German, perhaps Italian and Scandinavian as well as Japanese Intelligence issues. Much of Hurt’s early work ended up directly in the hands of John J. McCloy including information that McCloy used in an attempt to prevent the use of the Atomic Bomb at the end of World War II.

Oswald assignment to the air base in Astugi, Japan could also be another tie to the Japanese liguist/intelligence operative John B. Hurt

My suggestion is that the work of John B. Hurt may have been so sensitive that the association of this man with the accused assassin of JFK may have had two effects:

1. It may have guaranteed that the accused assassin would be himself assassinated without the conspirators having to arrange that hit….It would be left to others who would be forced to protect US Intelligence Secrets.

2. It may have led to the creation of a “real” fear that the assassination of JFK could create ripples in the international intelligence agencies that could actually be the blasting cap that would detonate a World War III. The fear of associating Lee Harvey Oswald with John B. Hurt may have been the catalyst that created the need for a cover up of the background of Lee Harvey Oswald, once again, without the real plotters having to dirty their hands with the task.

I am hard pressed not to believe that this scenario, or one closely resembling it, may have in fact occurred. If so it points to the possibility of one primary person, John J. McCloy, as the only man that was positioned to know exactly how the post assassination scenario would play out by inserting the elements that he may have been the only one who would have known how to insert them. All of the pieces would fall into place beginning from the attempted assassination of Major General Edwin Anderson Walker.

Back too the actual point at hand generated by your question of recruiting foreign nationals as linguists. etc. to work for US Intelligence.

Walker would be repeatedly involved in the processing of huge numbers of POW’s (at the end of WWII and in Korea) before their return to their home countries. I have information to suggest that he had been well trained in this area of counter intelligence throughout his career with preperation beginning in the 1930's. I believe that Walker’s involvement in intelligence/counter intelligence is what led him to be associated with Lee Harvey Oswald during his defection to the Soviet Union in 1959 and that Walker had repeatedly done sensitive intelligence missions for both Maxwell Taylor and John J. McCloy throughout his career.

Once again we have the coincidence of Oswald’s association with the U-2, his defection to the Soviet Union, the downing of the U-2 which then leads to the failure of the Paris Summit (an event that McCloy wanted to have fail) and Oswalds attempt to contact John Hurt as a continuous string of events that not only leads to the assassination of JFK but points back towards John J. McCloy.

Please excuse me for my aggressiveness in pushing this plausible scenario.

Jim Root

• 11 months later...
Robert

I appreciate your interest in this potential avenue of research. As you know the connection of John J. McCloy, Major General Edwin Anderson Walker, General Maxwell Taylor, and the two men assigned by the NSA to investigate potential intelligence links to Lee Harvey Oswald, Meredith Gardner and Frank Rowlett, can all be closely associated with John B. Hurt.

By coincidence or by design Lee Harvey Oswald attempted to call a person with this same name while in custody following the assassination of John F. Kennedy. If John B. Hurt was the man that Oswald was in fact attempting to contact or if Oswald was duped into asking for a John Hurt at a specific number in Raleigh, North Carolina that would be passed on to the highest levels of the intelligence community very quickly, then I believe very strongly that we have uncovered the Rosetta Stone necessary to decode this crime of the century.

If Oswald had attempted to place a “person to person” phone call to a predetermined number (asking for a John Hurt) and if that call had been rejected by a “cut out” (who would then send an alert to the next member up in an intelligence cell) it seems natural that Oswald would then, in a frenzy, seek to find a “correct” number for a person with the name of John Hurt. This would explain why the Dallas Police operators would then retrieve numbers for two different John Hurt’s in the Raleigh, North Carolina area.

Adding additional mystery to this area of research we find that of the five original members of Friedman’s team of cryptologists (April, 1930 Friedman, Sinkov, Rowlett, Kullbeck and Hurt, only Hurt’s work after 1946 remains classified to this day. But Hurt’s own writings (1946 declassified document) suggest that he was very involved in code work in the areas of French, Soviet, German, perhaps Italian and Scandinavian as well as Japanese Intelligence issues. Much of Hurt’s early work ended up directly in the hands of John J. McCloy including information that McCloy used in an attempt to prevent the use of the Atomic Bomb at the end of World War II.

Oswald assignment to the air base in Astugi, Japan could also be another tie to the Japanese liguist/intelligence operative John B. Hurt

My suggestion is that the work of John B. Hurt may have been so sensitive that the association of this man with the accused assassin of JFK may have had two effects:

1. It may have guaranteed that the accused assassin would be himself assassinated without the conspirators having to arrange that hit….It would be left to others who would be forced to protect US Intelligence Secrets.

2. It may have led to the creation of a “real” fear that the assassination of JFK could create ripples in the international intelligence agencies that could actually be the blasting cap that would detonate a World War III. The fear of associating Lee Harvey Oswald with John B. Hurt may have been the catalyst that created the need for a cover up of the background of Lee Harvey Oswald, once again, without the real plotters having to dirty their hands with the task.

I am hard pressed not to believe that this scenario, or one closely resembling it, may have in fact occurred. If so it points to the possibility of one primary person, John J. McCloy, as the only man that was positioned to know exactly how the post assassination scenario would play out by inserting the elements that he may have been the only one who would have known how to insert them. All of the pieces would fall into place beginning from the attempted assassination of Major General Edwin Anderson Walker.

Back too the actual point at hand generated by your question of recruiting foreign nationals as linguists. etc. to work for US Intelligence.

Walker would be repeatedly involved in the processing of huge numbers of POW’s (at the end of WWII and in Korea) before their return to their home countries. I have information to suggest that he had been well trained in this area of counter intelligence throughout his career with preperation beginning in the 1930's. I believe that Walker’s involvement in intelligence/counter intelligence is what led him to be associated with Lee Harvey Oswald during his defection to the Soviet Union in 1959 and that Walker had repeatedly done sensitive intelligence missions for both Maxwell Taylor and John J. McCloy throughout his career.

Once again we have the coincidence of Oswald’s association with the U-2, his defection to the Soviet Union, the downing of the U-2 which then leads to the failure of the Paris Summit (an event that McCloy wanted to have fail) and Oswalds attempt to contact John Hurt as a continuous string of events that not only leads to the assassination of JFK but points back towards John J. McCloy.

Jim Root

deleted

Edited by Thomas Graves

• 4 months later...
Robert

Jim Root

deleted

BUMP

J – And why did you call David Atlee Phillips?

JF – Because he always had to know where I was at because he was my controller?

J – For?

JF – CIA purposes, special operations or something that might be needed done.

J – Were you supposed to stay in contact with him?

JF – We always stayed in contact. We had numbers to call.

When I got to the Mesquite motel and got a room, I went back to the restaurant to use the phone there. I called two people and only two people. I called and told Mr. Nicoletti where I was, and then I called a number back east, that would put me in touch with David Atlee Phillips, no matter where he was. With the Company (CIA) that was a big thing. You never knew where anyone was, you called the assigned number and you got through to who ever your controller was. Anyway, I told Phillips where I was at, he said “Fine.” that was it.

• 5 years later...