The Education Forum

One Giant Spotlight For All Mankind

...and the last one from Greg Parker , who made a rather perceptive joke about Lamson's attack antics against Jack , by comparing them to a Monty Python skit .

<snip>

I would like to know which moderator took it upon himself to delete these posts and why ... No moderator should be able to display this type of bias on this forum by deleting anyone's post comments .

I made them invisible, after consultation with other Mods, and at Jack White's request.

• Replies 531
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...and the last one from Greg Parker , who made a rather perceptive joke about Lamson's attack antics against Jack , by comparing them to a Monty Python skit .

<snip>

I would like to know which moderator took it upon himself to delete these posts and why ... No moderator should be able to display this type of bias on this forum by deleting anyone's post comments .

I made them invisible, after consultation with other Mods, and at Jack White's request.

Hey....don't blame me. I was protesting Parker's constant ridicule of me. He made

the same exact Monty Python posting three times in response to various postings

of mine. None of them added any meaning to any of the discussions.

What is INVISIBLE? That is the same as DELETING them, isn't it?

Jack

PS...Duane, the attacks were aimed at me, NOT Lamson.

Edited by Jack White

Read the words of the Apollo astronots , when interviewed for the film 'In the Shadow of the Moon '.

Buzz Aldrin: I found the most uncomfortable, disturbing question coming back was "what'd it feel like?" To draw an analogy, we have voice recorders, we have video recorders, but so far we have not invented emotion recorders other than maybe a lie-detector test, and we don't do that kind of measurement. Emotions and feelings. What does this open up? Coming back, and then when asked a feeling, manufacturing what you think they want to hear instead of accurately trying to remember what your feelings really were.

Edgar Mitchell: I agree with Buzz. One of the more disturbing questions we got repeatedly, "what'd it feel like to be on the moon?" and I realized very shortly I didn't know what it felt like 'cause I was too busy thinking and doing to concentrate on feeling. In order to do that, I went to one of my dear friends in the psychological community, Dr. Jean Huston, and said, "Hey, help me do some hypnotic regression. I get this question 'what'd it feel like?' and I wanna find out 'cause I don't know!"

They speak like Manchurian Candidates .

They speak like people who have a hard time expressing emotion - hardly unusual for a group of highly-motivated test pilots. They could describe the technical nature of the experience but the human experience? They had a hard time. One of the few to do it was Al Bean, who painted what he saw. Or perhaps the late Pete Conrad, who had a standard reply: "Super! I really enjoyed it.".

Ed is also repeating something he said long ago:

"People would ask what it felt like. I didn't know what it felt like. I could tell them what I did, and what I thought, but not what I felt. It pissed me off."

Jack,

No, far from it. It just means the post is visible only to the mods and admins. Any one of them can make it visible, if it is decided that is the correct course of action.

If you delete it, it is gone for good. That's why I will normally make a post invisible (or unapprove it, as the term is). People can review my actions, and if found in error, the post can be restored. Same post, same time, same position in the thread, etc.

Read the words of the Apollo astronots , when interviewed for the film 'In the Shadow of the Moon '.

Buzz Aldrin: I found the most uncomfortable, disturbing question coming back was "what'd it feel like?" To draw an analogy, we have voice recorders, we have video recorders, but so far we have not invented emotion recorders other than maybe a lie-detector test, and we don't do that kind of measurement. Emotions and feelings. What does this open up? Coming back, and then when asked a feeling, manufacturing what you think they want to hear instead of accurately trying to remember what your feelings really were.

Edgar Mitchell: I agree with Buzz. One of the more disturbing questions we got repeatedly, "what'd it feel like to be on the moon?" and I realized very shortly I didn't know what it felt like 'cause I was too busy thinking and doing to concentrate on feeling. In order to do that, I went to one of my dear friends in the psychological community, Dr. Jean Huston, and said, "Hey, help me do some hypnotic regression. I get this question 'what'd it feel like?' and I wanna find out 'cause I don't know!"

They speak like Manchurian Candidates .

Or perhaps they speak like people who simply don't have the words to convey how they felt?

"Oh, you know, it felt kind of... well, lunar."

The closest I can come is trying to explain to someone in words what it's like to witness, say, Niagara.

"Awesome! Spectacular! Wet! Amazing! The coolest thing I ever saw! You have to see it to believe it!"

Do you really know what it's like to witness Niagara just because I coughed up a few superlatives? I doubt it, unless you've already been there. Now, multiply the difficulty in explaining what it's like to see Niagara by several factors of ten. How do you go about explaining what it's like on the moon? I don't really know, I've never been.

Suppose a virgin asks you what the best lay you ever had was like. Do you think he's going to be impressed with a "totally awesome dude!" Will "Shagadelic, babe!" really convey the raw emotion of the experience? You could even try a Charlie Duke Apollo line: "What a ride! What a ride!" Will he have a clue what you're banging on about? :box

That's my understanding of the difficulty of explaining what it's like to be on the moon to someone who's never been closer to it than 240,000 miles. You're welcome to your "they were hypnotised into thinking they went" hypothesis - I'll stick with mine!

THERE IS A BIG, BIG, DIFFERENCE BETWEEN FINDING IT DIFFICULT TO CONVEY WORDS TO EXPRESS A PERSONAL EXPERIENCE AND HAVING TO UNDERGO HYPNOTIC REGRESSION TO HELP YOU REMEMBER WHAT IT FELT LIKE!

CAN YOU GIVE ANY EXAMPLES OF SOMEBODY NEEDING HYPNOTIC REGRESSION BECAUSE THEY COULDN'T REMEMBER WHAT IT FELT LIKE WHEN THEY WERE

A) AT NIAGARA FALLS

:rolleyes: SHAGGING

"Unlike most of his colleagues he decided that the problem was not with the questioners, but with himself and the anquish he felt at being unable to recall the feeling of being there."

Moon Dust- p.52 Andrew Smith

Like I said before ... They all sound like Manchurian Candidates .

<snip>

Hey....don't blame me. I was protesting Parker's constant ridicule of me. He made

the same exact Monty Python posting three times in response to various postings

of mine. None of them added any meaning to any of the discussions.

Jack

PS...Duane, the attacks were aimed at me, NOT Lamson.

Sorry for the mistake Jack ... What I read in that Monty Python skit sounded EXACTLY like what Lamson was doing to you , so I assumed Parker realized that ... I didn't know he was just another "Lamson " on this forum .... Too bad .

Edited by Duane Daman

<snip>

So you admit that it was your idea to "make them invisible" then ? ... No surprise there .... Why is it that your pal Lamson can act like an insulting bully to everyone he disagrees with on this forum and NOTHING is ever done about it , even after you have WARNED him ?

Like I stated in my post that you made invisible ... If I had posted what he did , you would already be calling for my moderation or possible banishment .

His most recent attacks on Mark Stapleton and Courtney Redd on the' Medical Treatment in your country' thread are in a word ... DESPICABLE !

Edited by Duane Daman

Perhaps it is telling to give a wider quote from MOONDUST than what you have posted:

There's a mystic edge to this observation, yet for the thirty three hours he spent on the surface, during which he and Shepard collected ninety-four pounds of rock, he felt constant frustration at being too busy to simply stop and look around, take in the feeling of being there. He also felt a powerful angst at leaving, knowing as he did that he would never return and once back, became worried by his irritation with the question "What did it feel like to walk on the Moon?". Unlike most of his colleagues... <snip> He realized that the tightly focussed training regime of the fighter pilot and astronaut is at odds with that required of the modern day shaman, which was how he was beginning to see himself.

Sounds quite normal for guy who is not a bard, but is being asked to speak like one.

If you believe the need to undergo hypnotic regression to be able to speak about or remember what it felt like to be on the Moon is "normal" , then I can see why you believe these guys really went there .... It's anything but normal not to remember the most important thing you have ever accomplished in your life .. In fact , what would be normal , would be to remember every second of it and to also remember exactly how you felt while doing something that important .

This has nothing to do with Mitchell's inabilty to express how he felt , it has to do with his inability to remember how he felt ... Big difference .

When false memories are implanted , the "MEMORY" of what you allegedly accomplished will be intact , while the EMOTION of what you allegedly accomplished will be completely lacking .... It's called being brainwashed .

Edited by Duane Daman

If you believe the need to undergo hypnotic regression to be able to speak about or remember what it felt like to be on the Moon is "normal" , then I can see why you believe these guys really went there .... It's anything but normal not to remember the most important thing you have ever accomplished in your life .. In fact , what would be normal , would be to remember every second of it and to also remember exactly how you felt while doing something that important .

This has nothing to do with Mitchell's inabilty to express how he felt , it has to do with his inability to remember how he felt ... Big difference .

When false memories are implanted , the "MEMORY" of what you allegedly accomplished will be intact , while the EMOTION of what you allegedly accomplished will be completely lacking .... It's called being brainwashed .

I like the way you assume you know how he felt... or how anyone else might feel. I remember my "wings" flight from my logbook; I have photos of me getting my wings... damned if can can remember anything about those days, though. Oh - except I scored with a lady the night we were in Cairns... that was memorable!

I like the way you assume you know how he felt... or how anyone else might feel. I remember my "wings" flight from my logbook; I have photos of me getting my wings... damned if can can remember anything about those days, though. Oh - except I scored with a lady the night we were in Cairns... that was memorable!

Modus Operandi... Make wild boasts to back up claims and go off topic... :lol:

Modus Operandi... Make wild boasts to back up claims and go off topic... :lol:

What claims would they be? I am saying that it can be - in your words - "the most important thing you have ever accomplished in your life" and you are just so overwhelmed by it you don't remember how you felt. EXACTLY the topic under discussion.