The Education Forum

Nix film frames 50-60 stable blowup

I am one of the leading historians of the Dallas-Fort Worth area!

http://www.fortwortharchitecture.com/oldftw/oldftw.htm

A large and fascinating collection of historical photos. The website is well-organized and very easy to navigate.

Yes Jack your website is very nice, great vintage photos

I found this awesome photo

jackphotography.jpg

What kind of camera were you using Jack?

Edited by Dean Hagerman

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am one of the leading historians of the Dallas-Fort Worth area!

http://www.fortwortharchitecture.com/oldftw/oldftw.htm

A large and fascinating collection of historical photos. The website is well-organized and very easy to navigate.

Yes Jack your website is very nice, great vintage photos

I found this awesome photo

jackphotography.jpg

What kind of camera were you using Jack?

Thanks, Dean, for visiting the site and the kind comments. I have a passion for antique photos. I have now

assured that my collection will survive and that the public can enjoy them. I get many "fan letters" and

I not only run the website, I have organized a group of 60+ historians, including many published authors

and a local museum director.

The camera, now no longer needed, is a 4x5 Kodak bellows camera with adjustable bellows controls.

I have two lenses for it...a short wide angle/normal and long closeup/tele; the bellows extension allows for

extreme closeup copying, or longer outside views with the same lens. The long lens is also used for

portraits and most uses, except when greater coverage is needed.

The silver mylar background was used for bouncing light off of when indirect light was needed.

Jack

Oodles, Jack.

That schematic was part of a report on the Dallas flood control system.

Presumably, they choose the levee height based on what is commonly called ''the hundred year flood''. (Anyway, that's what such a natural event is called, that occur unpredictably with long intervals of time in between, over here in OZ.)

So, a lasting structure, responsibly, must be built with a ''worst case scenario'' considered. (the army really buggered it up with Mississippi River, not for want of trying, a marvelous piece of engineering really, but missing an important quality of water that had, decades previously, been demonstrated by a German in Fluid Dynamics)

Oodles, Jack.

That schematic was part of a report on the Dallas flood control system.

Presumably, they choose the levee height based on what is commonly called ''the hundred year flood''. (Anyway, that's what such a natural event is called, that occur unpredictably with long intervals of time in between, over here in OZ.)

So, a lasting structure, responsibly, must be built with a ''worst case scenario'' considered. (the army really buggered it up with Mississippi River, not for want of trying, a marvelous piece of engineering really, but missing an important quality of water that had, decades previously, been demonstrated by a German in Fluid Dynamics)

We had a hundred year flood in 1949. Rained 14 inches on a huge watershed overnight. All levees held,

except in Fort Worth where railroad workers were caught by surprise by the overnight deluge and failed

to close a levee lock gate where a rail line ran through a levee. Nowadays the gates are automatic and

electric...not subject to human error. Dallas, downstream 30 miles, suffered a NO damage in 1949.

You ought to visit Dallas sometimes, and see how IGNORANT your comments are to people who live here.

Downtown Dallas will NEVER be in danger of flooding unless it rains 40 days and 40 nights. (see Noah, ark)

And Dealey Plaza structures have ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with flood control!

With each silly posting, your reputation suffers additionally.

Jack

I agree, I really hesitated on commentinging on the retaining wall-comcrete wall comments that cluttered the topic at the beginning. However Jack insisted on pursuing that speculative portion of my post (and trying to turn it into a personal attack). I'm not satisfied with neither the tone of the replies nor with their contents, I could go on with further questioning about flood levels, topography etc, that I'd imagine a Dallas historian should be cognizant of, but, it'll just lead to forther vitriol.

I certainly wont retract from ''afa retaining wall goes, the entire structure of Delay plaza from an engineering point of view functions as a giant flood control (the great flood early 1900's cut Dallas in two and severely impeded the transport of goods), with massive concrete structures, the roads, the massive underpass, the ponds, the basic funnel shape and its topography, so from this perspective, a traditional naming of it as a retaining wall isn't unreasonable.'' It's (all the concrete walls. structures) monolithic as a whole with little aesthetic value.

EDIT : typos

Edited by John Dolva

Any chance this thread will go back "On Topic" sometime in the near future.

Thanks my friend. ;)

n50-60.gif

A problem of the Nix film is, it shows all parts in shadow are literally invisible. Means black.

I see no other solution that this movement is human activity ore caused by it.

But most parts behind the cement wall (call it what ever you like....doesn't matter) are in shadow.

Here an illustration which parts are in shadow and therefore invisible in the Nix film.

shadow-1.jpg

This moving appears to me also very linear.

Martin

Not quite, a 3D oblique image of a z-buffer with the image as texture clearly shows there are numerous gradients, hues, to the ''black''.

By deblurring and increasing gamma, a possible image of the back of a person appears...frame 6

Not quite, a 3D oblique image of a z-buffer with the image as texture clearly shows there are numerous gradients, hues, to the ''black''.

By deblurring and increasing gamma, a possible image of the back of a person appears...frame 6

Thank you John. :)

Can you probably describe it how you've done it (software)?

And are you able to locate that shape in another frame too?

(Your crop looks somehow rotated)

best to you

Martin

Sure, Martin, I was going to post it but forgot to save it.

Meesofts Image Analyzer has a 3D plugin. If you take the original image and make a copy of it and transform it to a grayscale you then have a ''depth map'', also called Z buffer, where on the 2D image the Z axis is the 256 step gradations of the grayscale values. Use this grayscale as the Z map for the plugin with the original image as texture. Play around with scaling, rendering (gourade and points are good. You can zoom in and out to a very large degree, turn the 3D ''map'' and enable see back, change illumination, reflectivity, ambient light and direction from which illimination comes from. (It's only about 1.4 Mb and free, with some of the other plugins postcardware, donation, help ware.)

Yes, the shape's in the other frames too. The head lowers as if ducking down. I was hoping you'd use your skills in (oh, I forgot, image analyzer in the tools edit etc has some very useful features for changing, enhancing a wide range of image values, after each change, the settings remain till you change them, so you can apply a uniform gamma change for example) aligning and gif production (particularly like the way you smoothed movements with changing layer opacity, I hope you don't mind if I use the same method in the future) as my time is limited and I've done so much of that stuff I'm a bit sick of the whole process at the moment.

The Image isn't rotated, but well spotted. I judged the blur smear and assumed it to be camera movement, took one of the gif layers and (after zooming in with the 3D plugin, but set the scale to 0, switched off all lighting, reflection applied gouraud and snapshotted. Then cropped and fiddled with values.) and resized the width only, as the blurs seem nearly horizontal. (actually this brings to mind my blur analysis of a few years ago as a way of determining velocity ( but for some reason I kept coming up with values about twice what it should be, and without help shelved it for the future ). If the Limo is sharp then we have camera blur in the back ground which occurs over a fixed exposure time, so knowing that, one can attempt to work out how fast the camera was panning and knowing location of photographer, or using the as yet hypothesised universal formula (Nix Frame topic) for working out exactly how far from an object a photographer is, know the arc the camera went through based on the blur and then know the velocity of the Limo.) I roughly guessed it and stepped down the resizing to where, if it's a camera motion blurred object, it, to that extent, shapes it back to what it should be.

Naturally then the angle of the top of the retaining wall changes. (I suppose a uniform paralell vertical skew could be applied). Anyway, then with a batch of them a gif might be interesting to see.

Edited by John Dolva

Any chance this thread will go back "On Topic" sometime in the near future.

Thanks my friend. :)

n50-60.gif

A problem of the Nix film is, it shows all parts in shadow are literally invisible. Means black.

I see no other solution that this movement is human activity ore caused by it.

But most parts behind the cement wall (call it what ever you like....doesn't matter) are in shadow.

Here an illustration which parts are in shadow and therefore invisible in the Nix film.

shadow-1.jpg

This moving appears to me also very linear.

Martin

Shadows cannot "block out" open sky.

Jack

Sure, Martin, I was going to post it but forgot to save it.

Meesofts Image Analyzer has a 3D plugin. If you take the original image and make a copy of it and transform it to a grayscale you then have a ''depth map'', also called Z buffer, where on the 2D image the Z axis is the 256 step gradations of the grayscale values. Use this grayscale as the Z map for the plugin with the original image as texture. Play around with scaling, rendering (gourade and points are good. You can zoom in and out to a very large degree, turn the 3D ''map'' and enable see back, change illumination, reflectivity, ambient light and direction from which illimination comes from. (It's only about 1.4 Mb and free, with some of the other plugins postcardware, donation, help ware.)

Yes, the shape's in the other frames too. The head lowers as if ducking down. I was hoping you'd use your skills in (oh, I forgot, image analyzer in the tools edit etc has some very useful features for changing, enhancing a wide range of image values, after each change, the settings remain till you change them, so you can apply a uniform gamma change for example) aligning and gif production (particularly like the way you smoothed movements with changing layer opacity, I hope you don't mind if I use the same method in the future) as my time is limited and I've done so much of that stuff I'm a bit sick of the whole process at the moment.

The Image isn't rotated, but well spotted. I judged the blur smear and assumed it to be camera movement, took one of the gif layers and (after zooming in with the 3D plugin, but set the scale to 0, switched off all lighting, reflection applied gouraud and snapshotted. Then cropped and fiddled with values.) and resized the width only, as the blurs seem nearly horizontal. (actually this brings to mind my blur analysis of a few years ago as a way of determining velocity ( but for some reason I kept coming up with values about twice what it should be, and without help shelved it for the future ). If the Limo is sharp then we have camera blur in the back ground which occurs over a fixed exposure time, so knowing that, one can attempt to work out how fast the camera was panning and knowing location of photographer, or using the as yet hypothesised universal formula (Nix Frame topic) for working out exactly how far from an object a photographer is, know the arc the camera went through based on the blur and then know the velocity of the Limo.) I roughly guessed it and stepped down the resizing to where, if it's a camera motion blurred object, it, to that extent, shapes it back to what it should be.

Naturally then the angle of the top of the retaining wall changes. (I suppose a uniform paralell vertical skew could be applied). Anyway, then with a batch of them a gif might be interesting to see.

Thank you for that detailed explanation John.

I heard from that tool and played with it many months ago. But i've never heard about that 3D Plugin.

So, i've downloaded the newest version (1.31?) and the 3D Plugin as well.

I tried to follow your instructions but was til now without success.

But to be honest i spend not very much time (which is always limited) yet.

I will play around with it the other day and see if i can achieve something.

If you have some time[anytime] (with your skills on this tool) i would be more than happy if you could do the same with

let's say 3-4 subsequent Nix frames. I can do a stable Gif out of it.

(particularly like the way you smoothed movements with changing layer opacity, I hope you don't mind if I use the same method in the future)

Absolutely no problem John.

best to you

Martin