The Education Forum

Why do I have to do all of the photo analysis?

Jack White

Hi Jerry :lol:

Here is just a quick review.

As it looks like in the great Bronson image (thank you Robin) the crowds made a quarter circle

shape in this Main-Houston intersection. The photographers should be there i think.

I place Nix between Altgens and Hughes in this (my) updated position.

Platjl.png

What do you think?

Martin

Hi Martin.

To my eyes Altgens seems to be positioned just to the right hand side of the corner of the wall. ?

Also there doesn't appear to be anyone standing in front of him. ?

Edited by Robin Unger

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Martin.

To my eyes Altgens seems to be positioned just to the right hand side of the corner of the wall. ?

Hi mate. Not sure how do you mean that.

Sure Robin. Altgens, Hughes and Nix were standing all in front.

The arrows are just rough positions.

best

Martin

Hi Martin.

Sure Robin. Altgens, Hughes and Nix were standing all in front.

The arrows are just rough positions.

best

Martin

Hi Martin.

Looking at your blue arrow for Altgens on the plat, it seemed as if he was placed slightly to the LEFT of the wall corner, unless i read it wrong

The Hughes position looks good. !

Edited by Robin Unger

Thanks for the images, Robin! I have never seen ANY photos showing the bus! This means that Nix, Hughes, Bronson, and Altgens

must all be re-evaluated. Nobody has ever disputed their locations in the Cutler-Sprague plat. The Hughes film, for instance is taken

from south of the bus, but I recall no bus in the photo.

Thanks. This will require much study.

Jack

Jack,

I think it would be more accurate to say that you'd seen the photos of the bus but hadn't realized their significance, perhaps because you believed the photos weren't taken at the time of the motorcade. You were one of the first to work with the Bronson images in the 80's so you saw the bus some time ago.

Jerry AKA Logan

Altgens on Elm from the rear.

Altgens_Back.png

I worked ONLY with TWO Bronson slides brought to me by Gary Mack for copying. I never worked

with the movie...that was Groden. I did not know that the second Bronson slide (in original Kodak mount)

was a frame copied to 35mm by someone WAS IN FACT A FRAME FROM THE MOVIE. Someone here

pointed that out last week; somebody misled me into believing that Bronson shot TWO slides!

I understand Robin.

Thats how i see it:

best

Martin and Robin,

Nice work from both of you!

I'd like your comments on the images below. Specifically, how would you place them right to left in the intersection?

I'm not concerned with where exactly they are, just their relationship with each other.

Which do you think was taken from the furthest north and so on.

My best regards to you both,

Jerry

Comp.png

I understand Robin.

Thats how i see it:

best

Martin and Robin,

I'd like your comments on the images below. Specifically, how would you place them right to left in the intersection?

I'm not concerned with where exactly they are, just their relationship with each other.

Jerry

Comp.png

You pose an interesting question. Can you tell us which photos the crops are from, or post the full photos?

I understand Robin.

Thats how i see it:

best

Martin and Robin,

Jerry

Comp.png

You pose an interesting question. Can you tell us which photos the crops are from, or post the full photos?

Jack,

No problem. I'm interested in the photographer''s relationship to the building corner as a way of placing them in order.

Martin's discussion with Robin about Altgens in relation to the building corner was very suggestive.

I'd welcome your thoughts.

Top left is Bothun, bottom left is Bronson, right is Altgens 4.

Jerry

Parking garage on the left, looking back down Houston.

Working backwards, is it possible to line up some of the camera locations (LOS) with the parking garage entrance. ( Altgens, Nix, etc: )

Jerry.

In the image below we can see a man standing in the middle of the intersection next to the car.

when we line up the white road strips on Main & Houston, this appears to me to be very close to where Hughes must have been positioned at the time of the motorcade.

We also see a crowd of people standing on the footpath near the Bronson position, i assume this is approx where nix was standing. ?

Thanks for the fantastic photo, Robin! I had never seen it before.

It clears up many things, like the firetruck and white ambulance (?). It gives precise locations of some

things like the tall fluorescent lamp post seen in Hughes, the entire side of the sheriff building, etc.

This is great!

Jack

I understand Robin.

Thats how i see it:

best

Martin and Robin,

Jerry

Comp.png

Jack,

No problem. I'm interested in the photographer''s relationship to the building corner as a way of placing them in order.

Martin's discussion with Robin about Altgens in relation to the building corner was very suggestive.

I'd welcome your thoughts.

Top left is Bothun, bottom left is Bronson, right is Altgens 4.

Jerry

Thanks!

Parking garage on the left, looking back down Houston.

Working backwards, is it possible to line up some of the camera locations (LOS) with the parking garage entrance. ( Altgens, Nix, etc: )

Jerry.

In the image below we can see a man standing in the middle of the intersection next to the car.

when we line up the white road strips on Main & Houston, this appears to me to be very close to where Hughes must have been positioned at the time of the motorcade.

We also see a crowd of people standing on the footpath near the Bronson position, i assume this is approx where nix was standing. ?

Thanks for the fantastic photo, Robin! I had never seen it before.

It clears up many things, like the firetruck and white ambulance (?). It gives precise locations of some

things like the tall fluorescent lamp post seen in Hughes, the entire side of the sheriff building, etc.

This is great!

Jack

The tall lamp pole in the middle of the block is seen the the Hughes film against windows of the TSBD.

By drawing a line from the pole to the windows it intersects, Hughes exact line of sight can be determined

on the line extended to the Main intersection.

Jack

This is probably an inappropriate comment for this thread, but everytime I see the above photos, they make no sense to me. ...so I wanted to make a comment, while the photos are posted. But.... No one is looking at JFK and Jackie!! They are all looking at Greer and Kellerman. Even the woman with her arm up, is not looking at JFK and Jackie. In an above larger photo, one woman might be looking at them, but a woman next to her is even looking behind the Limo. Is it just me that finds this to be very odd?

Dixie

This is probably an inappropriate comment for this thread, but everytime I see the above photos, they make no sense to me. ...so I wanted to make a comment, while the photos are posted. But.... No one is looking at JFK and Jackie!! They are all looking at Greer and Kellerman. Even the woman with her arm up, is not looking at JFK and Jackie. In an above larger photo, one woman might be looking at them, but a woman next to her is even looking behind the Limo. Is it just me that finds this to be very odd?

Dixie

I agree, Dixie. The most flagrant example (besides Zapruder) is Altgens 5).

Jack

post-667-1265746865_thumb.jpg

Dixie

Dixie,

It's not inappropriate at all! I don't know if there's something unusual about it, or something about the instant of a photograph or the angle of the photo, or what we think people should be doing isn't what people actually do.

I do know that it's not limited to the 11/22/1963 photos. There are lots of other photos on lots of different occasions that show the same thing. Here's one, I can post more if you like. You'd think everyone would be focused on the speaker at this moment.....

Jerry

5f42f28527393994_large.jpg