The Education Forum

Phillips WAS Bishop!

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's important to note that in his Bethesda talk Veciana went into great detail about his admiration for Phillips. He thought of him as a hero. When Kennedy was killed, moreover, and he realized Phillips was probably involved, he thought little of it, because he thought little of Kennedy, and thought Kennedy an impediment to his and Phillips' goal of over-throwing Castro.

It was only over time that he came to like Kennedy, and to think of his death as a tragedy. Veciana said, moreover, that he'd looked forward to the Fonzi-arranged confrontation with Phillips, only to be saddened by Phillips' behavior during the confrontation. Veciana said something about the super-spy Phillips shrinking before his eyes. His hero was made of clay.

Assuming Phillips knew how much Veciana admired him, he may very well have been less cautious than usual when arranging meetings with other operatives, in which Veciana was the second meeting.

My theory is that Veciana didn't rat on Phillips because he (Veciana) came to admire JFK. I read Fonzi's book a long time ago and my memory is fuzzy, but I believe reading that during the 70's Veciana wanted to keep raiding Cuba in the hope of topping Castro, but Phillips wanted none of this and refused to help Veciana. Phillips allegedly framed Veciana who then went to jail for a year or two based on a phony drug smuggling allegation.

If anyone here has Fonzi's book please confirm.

Edited by Andric Perez