The Education Forum

The Decline in Forum Activity

John Simkin

It has been pointed out that there has been a decline in Forum activity recently. One obvious reason for this is that we have passed the 50th anniversary of the JFK assassination and there will now be fewer books, videos, conferences to promote. However, what we are seeing is a trend that will increase.

The main reason for this concerns Google. At one time Forum’s were good places to post links that would improve the search-ranking of your website, etc. This is no longer the case. In fact, posting on Forums can have a negative impact on your search-ranking. The same is also true of Blogs. Officially, the reason for this is that Google has identified Forums and Blogs as being ways that websites have manipulated search-ranking. This is clearly true. Search Engine Optimization (SEO) companies used to email me on a daily basis offering links from thousands of Blogs and Forums. In the past this did change search-rankings but has not been true for nearly two years. Google did not know how to differentiate between genuine Forums and Blogs and those established by SEO companies so they decided not to count the links from these sources. If they

The unofficial reason for this is that Google is involved in a commercial fight with social media sites such as Facebook and Twitter. At one time links from these sites were beneficial. That is no longer the case. What does help you if you use Google+ or Google Communities. For example, I used Google+ yesterday to promote a couple of pages on my website. Type in “Michael Gove” and “Adolf Hitler” at Google and see what you get. By using Google+ you can actually compete with major international media corporations.

Google have established Google Communities to compete with Forums. In time these will replace Forums like this one. To see an example of a Google JFK assassination community see the following that has been established by the Dallas Morning News.

https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities/117695051214010077934?cfem=1

If you are interested in communicating with a mass audience you have to play by Google rules.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did that John... and neither Spartacus or the Ed Forum are on the first 15 pages... Mary Ferrell is on page 13.... !!

You may want to talk to Google+ about this John... if you were expecting to show up in the search....

The 6th Floor Museum is on page 2.

FYI

DJ

Did that John... and neither Spartacus or the Ed Forum are on the first 15 pages... Mary Ferrell is on page 13.... !!

You may want to talk to Google+ about this John... if you were expecting to show up in the search....

The 6th Floor Museum is on page 2.

FYI

DJ

Google gives different results depending on the country from where you are doing the search.

John---my blogs come up prominently when you do a Google search of my name (is that what you mean?) :)

I DID notice several of my "opponents" have literally disappeared on me since 11/22/13. Even when prompted, they don't come out to "play" LOL. You might be on to something, John

Edited by Vince Palamara

Robert- LMAO!

On the one hand, it's a little sad to hear about a drop off. Then again, if it means less trolls on my You Tube channel, less Blaine disciples attacking me on Amazon, and less DVP (although he does have a charm- I sense a kind soul there),I guess it's ok (DVP is a huge Kennedy fan, so I suppose he's not all bad)

I did notice a (big) drop off in out-of-the-blue messages I would get in my e-mail, as well as stranger Facebook requests. Man, I am glad my book came out when it did!

Just a thought, John. The front page of this forum has eight pinned threads and only six active threads below it. If you'll notice, no one has posted to the majority of these pinned threads in over six months. Granted, three are locked but, a locked, pinned thread has the word "stale" written all over it.

In contrast, Duncan's forum not only has more threads to the page, I've never seen more than one or two pinned threads on the front page. Judging by the numbers of guests and members listed at the bottom of the page, activity seems to be growing there instead of declining.

Edited by Robert Prudhomme

Just a thought, John. The front page of this forum has eight pinned threads and only six active threads below it. If you'll notice, no one has posted to the majority of these pinned threads in over six months. Granted, three are locked but, a locked, pinned thread has the word "stale" written all over it.

In contrast, Duncan's forum not only has more threads to the page, I've never seen more than one or two pinned threads on the front page. Judging by the numbers of guests and members listed at the bottom of the page, activity seems to be growing there instead of declining.

Very good point. I have unpined several of these topics.