The Education Forum

Allen Dulles visits LBJ ranch shortly before the assassination

David, that should be interesting. I've always been curious if Phillips was encouraged to do that or did it on his own. He did write a couple of other books after Nightwatch and they give some insight into his thoughts of the period, suggesting he actually may have felt that intelligence professionals were being unfairly prosecuted and slandered (yeah, I know nobody wants to hear that). I've become convinced that when Hunt "left" the Agency he was still operational and was actually just assuming a "commercial/professional" cover, planted in a place where he could be useful. There is actually some documentation showing that he was given a level of security clearance which allowed him to fill in for his boss in processing information sought by the Agency through the companie's contacts. As to Phillips, I just don't know....looking forward to your post.

Larry, I put my small finding on ARIO / AFIO in the JFK Research section.

Larry is right. This keeps popping up every so often but has been debunked. Dulles was in Dallas in the last few days of October 1963, though, to promote his book. He only had a handful of cities on his list that fall (only 3 I think), although I disagree with the whole notion that a main conspirator would have to visit Dallas at all let alone right before the assassination. He was in London, if I remember correctly, the night before and during the assassination.

One day I read Dulles' schedule/appointment book from the day he left CIA til he died; it's an interesting read and highly recommended for anyone who considers him to be a senior level conspirator and is trying to 'connect the dots.' He kept in contact with CIA members or ex members at least weekly, usually every day. He talked to Tracy Barnes (and Cord Meyer) way more than he talked to Helms. He even spoke with Bill Harvey as late as 1968.

Its my understanding, from talking to someone who studied Dulles' calendar (which is at the Princeton University library) that he was at Camp Perry on November 22. This could be wrong, but that's what I was told.

DSL

I remember viewing his calendar online in a full and easily accessible way within the last two years. In searching for it in the past few days, I've only found piecemeal documents available through the Princeton online collection. I will do a more in depth search later today and post a link if I can find one. I believe he was overseas in England at least the night before the assassination, but he may have flown back the morning of 11/22.

Edited by Brian Schmidt

• 2 weeks later...

Dulles did visit Texas to promote his book "Crafts of Intelligence," and there is documentary evidence he visited Neil Mallon in Dallas in 1953, as this note attests:

26 October 1953

Mr. H. N. Mallon
Dresser Industries, Inc.
Atlantic Building
Dallas, Texas

Dear Neil:

We had an excellent return trip to Washington arriving promptly on schedule. It was a pleasant ending of a delightful week end.

Clover and I enjoyed every minute of our stay in Dallas. At the King Ranch and in the air, and I want to thank you and your sister for all the hospitality extended.

Sincerely yours,

Allen W. Dulles
Director

Hand written- Icc: DCI Pers. file -check

• 7 years later...
On 6/3/2015 at 12:45 PM, William Kelly said:

Dulles did visit Texas to promote his book "Crafts of Intelligence," and there is documentary evidence he visited Neil Mallon in Dallas in 1953, as this note attests:

26 October 1953

Mr. H. N. Mallon
Dresser Industries, Inc.
Atlantic Building
Dallas, Texas

Dear Neil:

We had an excellent return trip to Washington arriving promptly on schedule. It was a pleasant ending of a delightful week end.

Clover and I enjoyed every minute of our stay in Dallas. At the King Ranch and in the air, and I want to thank you and your sister for all the hospitality extended.

Sincerely yours,

Allen W. Dulles
Director

Hand written- Icc: DCI Pers. file -check

Bump.