The Education Forum

Where was Roy Truly Right after the last Shot was Fired?

Don Roberdeau believed Truly and Campbell to be the two khaki clad short guys seen in front of the TSBD. I've always wondered how he arrived at that conclusion.

We could assume that but, I've found that to assume makes an a-s-s out of u-m-e.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don Roberdeau believed Truly and Campbell to be the two khaki clad short guys seen in front of the TSBD. I've always wondered how he arrived at that conclusion.

[...]

Oh God, here we go again.

Let me take a wild guess as to why Roberdeau said that. Hmmmm. Because Truly and Campbell were two guys who said they were going out to lunch together and that they were standing in front of the front entrance?

--Tommy :sun

Jeraldean Bray Reid (Mrs. Robert A.Reid) said she was standing "near" Truly and Campbell during the shooting. Campbell and Truly said Reid was standing "close" or "near" to them during the shooting...

Mr. BELIN. Did you notice any other company employees with you other than Mr. Campbell at that time?

Mr. TRULY. Well, I did. I noticed several. Mrs. Reid was standing there close. And it seemed like there were several of the other employees standing out in front of the building.

Mrs. Reid's head is barely visible to the left of the woman with the white blouse, close to the car as it passes. Truly and Campbell are about six away from her, to the right. Six feet is "near" or "close," IMHO. Note that both Reid and Truly are standing in the "second row" of spectators, and also please note that there doesn't appear to be anyone else between Reid and Truly in that row, which could explain why "shorty" Truly could see Reid so well from his position and remember later that she was there.

IEJmpY.gif

Edited by Thomas Graves

"We could assume that but, I've found that to assume makes an a-s-s out of u-m-e."

I'm just tickled that he had the bells to write it.

I don't mean to be a pest but, how did we identify that woman as Mrs. Reid?

Robert,

I refer you to post #31, this thread.

bumped

Box 5, Folder 2, #3 is a City of Dallas list of all the affidavits that were taken by the Dallas Police Department and the Dallas Sheriff's Department. http://jfk.ci.dallas.tx.us/box5.htm

-- [box 5, Folder 2] 3. Table of Contents, by an unknown author. Table of Contents listing affidavits by person, includes notebook page number and officer taking statement, (Photocopy Poor Quality), date unknown. 00001255 3 pages 05 02 003 1255-001.gif 1255-002.gif 1255-003.gif "

If you click on all three GIF's, you'll see that Detective James Leavelle is listed as having taken seven affidavits altogether. In alphabetical order they are: Ted Callaway, Charles Givens, Sam Guinyard, Billy Lovelady, Mrs. R. A. Reid, W. W. Scoggins, and Roy S. Truly.

Mrs. R. A. Reid is the only female whom Leavelle took an affidavit from, and according to his WC testimony, he did so on Saturday, November 23, 1963. We know from his WC testimony that he also took Roy Truly's affidavit on 11/23/63. All of the other affidavits that Leavelle took were taken on Friday, November 22, 1963.

Here's Reid's 11/23/63 affidavit:

http://jfk.ci.dallas.tx.us/13/1327-001.gif

and Here's Truly's:

http://jfk.ci.dallas.tx.us/13/1344-001.gif

Now, there is a photo montage in post # 31 (on page three of this thread) which shows Detective James Leavelle sitting with a woman in the Homicide and Robbery Bureau office, and it looks like he's taking a statement from her or reading the statement she's just given him. Based on what I've just spelled out, above, I believe this woman is very probably 51-year-old Jeraldean Reid (aka Mrs. Robert A. Reid).

What do you think?

Edited by Thomas Graves

Robert,

PS

Box 5, Folder 2, #3 is a City of Dallas list of all the affidavits that were taken by the Dallas Police Department and the Dallas Sheriff's Department. http://jfk.ci.dallas.tx.us/box5.htm :

[box 5, Folder 2] -- 3. Table of Contents, by an unknown author. Table of Contents listing affidavits by person, includes notebook page number and officer taking statement, (Photocopy Poor Quality), date unknown. 00001255 3 pages 05 02 003 1255-001.gif 1255-002.gif 1255-003.gif "

If you click on all three GIF's, you'll see that Detective James Leavelle is listed as having taken seven affidavits altogether. In alphabetical order they are: Ted Callaway, Charles Givens, Sam Guinyard, Billy Lovelady, Mrs. R. A. Reid, W. W. Scoggins, and Roy S. Truly.

As you can see, Mrs. R. A. Reid is the only female Leavelle took an affidavit from, and according to his WC testimony, he did so on Saturday, November 23, 1963. We know from his WC testimony that he also took Roy Truly's affidavit on Saturday, 11/23/63. All of the other affidavits that Leavelle took were taken on Friday, November 22, 1963.

and Here's Truly's:

Now, there is a photo montage in post # 31 (on page three of this thread) which shows Detective James Leavelle sitting with a woman in the Homicide and Robbery Bureau office, and it looks like he's taking a statement from her or reading the statement she's just given him. Based on what I've just spelled out, above, I believe this woman is very probably 51-year-old Jeraldean Reid (aka Mrs. Robert A. Reid).

What do you think?

bumped

edited and consolidated

Edited by Thomas Graves

Robert,

bumped

Box 5, Folder 2, #3 is a City of Dallas list of all the affidavits that were taken by the Dallas Police Department and the Dallas Sheriff's Department. http://jfk.ci.dallas.tx.us/box5.htm

-- [box 5, Folder 2] 3. Table of Contents, by an unknown author. Table of Contents listing affidavits by person, includes notebook page number and officer taking statement, (Photocopy Poor Quality), date unknown. 00001255 3 pages 05 02 003 1255-001.gif 1255-002.gif 1255-003.gif "

Mrs. R. A. Reid is the only female whom Leavelle took an affidavit from, and according to his WC testimony, he did so on Saturday, November 23, 1963. We know from his WC testimony that he also took Roy Truly's affidavit on 11/23/63. All of the other affidavits that Leavelle took were taken on Friday, November 22, 1963.

and Here's Truly's:

What do you think?

Yes, that certainly does look like Mrs. Reid. I had forgotten about the montage you had put together. She is nowhere near the two khaki clad fellows.

Robert,

bumped

and Here's Truly's:

What do you think?

Yes, that certainly does look like Mrs. Reid. I had forgotten about the montage you had put together. She is nowhere near the two khaki clad fellows.

Robert,

Whew! Thanks for agreeing with me.

PS Someone else put that montage together -- I'm not sure who. Robin Unger?

Edited by Thomas Graves

DPD.Woman.%2011.22.1963.jpg?dl=0

Photo posted at ROKC. Mrs. Reid again?

Gosh, Robert, maybe. Can't see her big black purse. Same apparent hair color. Same apparent hair length. Same apparent coat color. Same apparent height (after the assassination one of her co-workers described her as a "delightful little woman," or words to that effect.) Looks kinda heavy, though, but maybe it's just the coat. Nice catch.

Edited by Thomas Graves

I'm trying to recall, didn't Linda tell us Mrs. Reid was the only female witness out front to give her statement within a day of the assassination, and the others were interviewed in '64?

Edited by Robert Prudhomme

I'm trying to recall, didn't Linda tell us Mrs. Reid was the only female witness out front to give her statement within a day of the assassination, and the others were interviewed in '64?

Robert,

According to the City of Dallas, Mrs. Reid was the only female who worked in the TSBD to give a statement to the DPD or the Sheriff's Department within a day of the assassination, whereas several male workers gave statements on 11/22 or 11/23.

From my previous post:

If you were Curry or Decker, which TSBD females would you have gotten statements from within that period of time?

Vicki Adams and Sandra Styles would have been nice.

Edited by Thomas Graves

This montage of a Wiegman frame and a recent photo shows where Jeraldean Reid was standing in relation to the TSBD and Elm Street. Her face is barely visible to the left of the woman wearing the white blouse. Note that these people were standing in the street. Truly and Campbell were standing to the right of them, six to eight feet away.

[All photos except the bottom one are from JFK Assassination Forum]

normal_Wiegman_composite.jpg

The woman wearing the white blouse (and red dress) whom Reid is standing next to is visible in this Mark Bell frame (below), standing almost directly across the street from Howard Brennan (who is sitting on the concrete structure, wearing a hardhat). I believe Roy Truly's fedora can be seen to the right of the shiny light pole. (The yellow rectangles on the right in both photos indicate Stetson Hat Man.)

Bell-Wieg.jpg

Jeraldean Reid's face can be seen between the ladies marked "E" and "G" in this top photo:

normal_wiegman_doorway.jpg

The red arrow on the right denotes the fedora-wearing man I believe to be Roy Truly. The arrow on the left is pointing to a man standing on the "island."

Special thanks to Chris Davidson for providing me with this image so everyone can see who I'm talking about (the arrow on the right).

Truly.jpg

Edited by Thomas Graves