The Education Forum

Did Ruby talk about Oswald at Ray McKeown's before the assassination?

Chris Newton

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I found this in the John Armstrong Collection archive and would like to know if anything about Jack's skating prowess raises eyebrows:

Pages 3 & 4

http://digitalcollections.baylor.edu/cdm/compoundobject/collection/po-arm/id/20632/rec/18

Observation: Does the report conflate the Korean War and WW II, or is it just kinda poorly-written?

-- Tommy :sun

Why does McKeown say that Oswald's hair is blond? In the Dan Rather interview.

Any ideas?

Sandy,

Probably because whoever was impersonating Oswald had blond hair.

It's possible that the bad guys had been misled by some three-year-old (but still ongoing) CIA Popov's Mole-based "marked card" information that had given dark-blond hair to Oswald-in-Russia,and which information was still in some of Oswald's CIA and military intel files in 1963.

This is the 1959 false defector (formerly with the United States Air Force), Robert E. Webster [q.v.], from whom Oswald "got" his dark-blond hair:

Webster in the USSR

RobertEdwardWebster1959.jpg

Edited and bumped for Sandy Larsen.

Edited by Thomas Graves

Observation: Does the report conflate the Korean War and WW II, or is it just kinda poorly-written?

Tommy, poorly written. But the DP Detective Cody is certainly interesting, he is ex-Army C/I who was assigned to Dallas while in that role. I'd think that as a trained observer his testimony has a high chance to be more accurate than a regular person's.

I was thinking about Jack Ruby's good skating abilities and Ferrie's trip to Galveston/Houston.

Tommy, poorly written. But the DP Detective Cody is certainly interesting, he is ex-Army C/I who was assigned to Dallas while in that role. I'd think that as a trained observer his testimony has a high chance to be more accurate than a regular person's.

I was thinking about Jack Ruby's good skating abilities and Ferrie's trip to Galveston/Houston.

Chris,

Yeah, that's what I thought you might be thinking about.

Alvin Beaubouef told me over the phone about 8 years ago (and Stephen Roy [RIP], too,according to a PM Roy sent me) that Ferrie was CIA.:

"[...] For years [beaubouef] said no, Dave had nothing to do with CIA to his knowledge, but later changed and said he did, after becoming friends with some researcher. (Before he met Al, Dave had a claim to CIA: He was a volunteer with the local FRD, a CIA-created group, until his morals problems.) [...]"

Beaubouef also told me over the phone that he (Beaubouef) had been a champion ice skater when he was a teenager, and that he and Ferrie were thinking about building an ice skating place in New Orleans, and that that was why he and Ferrie drove to Houston the night of the assassination -- to go ice skating there and to check out the feasibility of starting that kind of business in New Orleans.

Edited by Thomas Graves

Any ideas?

Sandy,

It's possible that the bad guys had been misled by some three-year-old (but still ongoing) CIA Popov's Mole-based "marked card" information that had given dark-blond hair to Oswald-in-Russia,and which information was still in some of Oswald's CIA and military intel files in 1963.

This is the 1959 false defector (formerly with the United States Air Force), Robert E. Webster [q.v.], from whom Oswald "got" his dark-blond hair:

Webster in the USSR

Thanks Tommy. But I thought you were joking. I can't think of any reason McKeown would even be aware of Robert Webster.

Doesn't it strike anybody else as odd that McKeown would think Oswald was blond?

BTW, I used to also think Oswald was blond. "Dark blond" like Robert Webster. Which is why I took notice of this. I've since wondered if it's a common mistake. Maybe due to Oswald's fair skin and thinning hair. Something like that.

Any ideas?

Sandy,

Webster in the USSR

Thanks Tommy. But I thought you were joking. I can't think of any reason McKeown would even be aware of Robert Webster.

Doesn't it strike anybody else as odd that McKeown would think Oswald was blond?

BTW, I used to also think Oswald was blond. "Dark blond" like Robert Webster. Which is why I took notice of this. I've since wondered if it's a common mistake. Maybe due to Oswald's fair skin and thinning hair. Something like that.

Dear Sandy,

I'm afraid you don't understand.

I'm saying the bad guys could have chosen a blond-haired Oswald impersonator because they mistakenly thought Oswald was blond.

And why did they mistakenly think /Oswald was blond?

Because in a CIA / FBI mole-catching operation in Russia from 1959 on, Oswald's and Webster's physical descriptions were intentionally mixed and merged. And the bad guys were relying on the false description of Oswald therein.

Edited by Thomas Graves

In the original FBI 302 on Robert Ray Mckeown it is mentioned that McKeown had lived with his sister in Houston prior to the date of the interview and listed the address as 9138 Wayfarer St.

There is no 9138 Wayfarer Street but there is a Wayfarer Lane. It's a small house (9138) tucked into a larger lot which is almost entirely a current machine shop and has RR McKeown written all over it. If it was McKeown's sister's it was in name only.

mclaneys%20sister.jpg

Edited by Chris Newton

Any ideas?

Sandy,

Webster in the USSR

Dear Sandy,

I'm afraid you don't understand.

I'm saying the bad guys could have chosen a blond-haired Oswald impersonator because they mistakenly thought Oswald was blond.

And why did they mistakenly think /Oswald was blond?

Because in a CIA / FBI mole-catching operation in Russia from 1959 on, Oswald's and Webster's physical descriptions were intentionally mixed and merged. And the bad guys were relying on the false description of Oswald therein.

Oh, sorry... I didn't notice that you had edited your reply to my question.

Funny thing, I've been thinking during this whole thread that it was Oswald himself -- HARVEY -- who had visited McKeown. Probably because McKeown had to have seen Oswald on TV (after the assassination), and he didn't mention that the guy who visited him wasn't that guy.

If the guy who visited McKeown was, let's say, LEE Oswald, then the hair color thing is still a mystery since LEE also had dark hair. But it could have been yet another impersonator, one with with dark blond hair who looked like HARVEY Oswald.

"It appears that neither of these items is significant" gets the prize for Understatement of the Year, 1963 edition.

state_ruby.jpg

https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.html?docId=97158#relPageId=3&tab=page

Chris,

Perhaps Ray Baby should have finished the sentence by writing, "... for the purposes of investigating possible Mafia / CIA connections of the man who killed Marina Oswald's husband in Dallas, Texas, on November 24, 1963."

Edited by Thomas Graves

Along with the interesting note that Jack Rubenstein was attempting to negotiate the purchase of Italian arms and ammunition (I'd like to see that letter, btw), is the fact that this is a State Dept. Office of Security memo dated 11/24/63 in the possession of the CIA.

• 1 month later...

Another interesting quote, ("slip"?), from Mckeown:

Mr. Purdy.  Have you ever seen Mr Hernandez or Mr Oswald prior to this meeting?

Mr Mckeown. No.

Mr Purdy.  Did you ever see them again after the meeting?

Mr Mckeown. No. I have seen them on television.

pg 658 line 25 - pg 659 line 5

http://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.html?docId=955#relPageId=666&tab=page