The Education Forum

Bull Stock Market!

Irving Daily News – Irving Texas

September 14, 1963

STOCK MARKET - Stocks Catch Breath After New High Set. The Dow did it again last week following up the previous week’s history-making performance with another record. The popular Dow’-Jones industrial stock in autos, steels, paper, drug and rails were pacesetters in the market last week, when, eclipsing a spirited midweek show of strength, spurted up a total of 7.12 points Tuesday and Wednesday setting a new all-time high of 740.34. . Volume of approximately 33 million shares on the NY5L was the heaviest trading of the year, topping the previous week of 24.3 million shares. Last week’s advance was a continuation of the sustained upward march stock prices have made since late July when the Dow Industrials were at the 690 level. Business reports continued to favor the stock market bulls but the bears are sitting on the sidelines wondering just how long the advance can continue, and when the market will begin to discount an economic adjustment.

*smile*

Steve Thomas

I think Steve is taking a page out of the book Were We Controlled.

If you knew the assassination was coming, you could certainly make a lot of money on the market the day after.

Just now, James DiEugenio said:

I think Steve is taking a page out of the book Were We Controlled.

If you knew the assassination was coming, you could certainly make a lot of money on the market the day after.

Jim,

No, actually, I was just kind of setting the stage in my mind. I've been trying to research September, 1963. For example; something I didn't know, north Texas was just recovering from an extended drought. In Texas, they had the driest first quarter year (January - March) on record.  San Antonio had the warmest April since 1885.

https://books.google.com/books?id=j1guXzyXN3UC&pg=PA86&lpg=PA86&dq=Dallas+drought+1963&source=bl&ots=YwRwFwMYP9&sig=fqJTiTw0ebEFQkrCBv4CTdhai5I&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiY4IeW-8PYAhVHTCYKHZWMAt0Q6AEIaTAN#v=onepage&q=Dallas drought 1963&f=false

But, isn't it funny that two people have come on this Forum in the last 48 hours wanting to tell people what they should or should not talk about.

I find that suspiciously coincidental.

Steve Thomas

Steve, I opened your link, but I really don't have any idea of your direction. But I assume you are drawing parallels to the current world market condition.

Currently foreign markets,  are bouncing off each other in a celebration of a new leg up in world Globalism, and unregulated free markets. This is the most pro corporate, pro business climate in the history of the world. In the U.S. this has meant an orderly continuation of the current fall in unemployment but no increase in wages. The lowering of corporate taxes  and repatriation of dollars are being heralded as bringing on a new age for hiring. Yet nearly all the increase in windfall profits over the last 10 years haven't been used to increase hiring so much as the buying back the corporations stock, concentrating the wealth into the hands of fewer and fewer people. The benefits of this go to the shareholders, and the 1% who by so doing, exponentially increase their % holdings of their company stock.

10 minutes ago, Kirk Gallaway said:

Steve, I opened your link, but I really don't have any idea of your direction. But I assume you are drawing parallels to the current world market condition.

Kirk,

It sounds like you know a whole lot more than I do about economics and how it works.

I was just reading that Irving paper, and it made me smile. The Dow was running about 700 hundred or so, and the paper was talking about "record-breaking, history-making performances".

It's all relative to the times you are in, isn't it?

It made me smile.

Steve Thomas

26 minutes ago, Kirk Gallaway said:

Currently foreign markets,  are bouncing off each other in a celebration of a new leg up in world Globalism, and unregulated free markets. This is the most pro corporate, pro business climate in the history of the world. In the U.S. this has meant an orderly continuation of the current fall in unemployment but no increase in wages. The lowering of corporate taxes  and repatriation of dollars are being heralded as bringing on a new age for hiring. Yet nearly all the increase in windfall profits over the last 10 years haven't been used to increase hiring so much as the buying back the corporations stock, concentrating the wealth into the hands of fewer and fewer people. The benefits of this go to the shareholders, and the 1% who by so doing, exponentially increase their % holdings of their company stock.

ATT is being sued by an employees union because they announced that they were eliminating thousands of jobs because of the new net neutrality law that they pushed for. 

On 1/6/2018 at 3:31 PM, Paul Brancato said:

ATT is being sued by an employees union because they announced that they were eliminating thousands of jobs because of the new net neutrality law that they pushed for. 

Perhaps the corporations should begin executing us if we cannot meet certain quotas for purchasing their products, due to layoffs, closings, ageism in hiring, etc..  Our relatives can redeem us by agreeing to new phone-internet-cable bundling plans.

EDIT:

Off topic, but seriously, let's show some appreciation for American jobs, and for the generations of American cashiers.  Let's not let store cashier jobs disappear, as in the linked content below.  I never use an automated checkout when I can help it, and I hope you won't either:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/between-walmart-and-kroger-500-stores-are-about-to-ditch-cashiers/ar-BBIb5ED?li=BBnbfcL

Please - let's keep some humanity in capitalism.  It's bad enough that mom-and-pop stores have fallen to the large retail chains.  Now the cashiers' jobs in your community will be disappearing.

UPDATE:

https://slate.com/technology/2018/01/jack-in-the-boxs-ceo-says-it-just-makes-sense-to-replace-people-with-robots.html

Save the cashier.  Really - who will you have left to b***h at about things that aren't his/her fault?  Your bartender?  Try it and see.

Edited by David Andrews