JFK, Nasser and Israel

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Leslie Sharp said:
1 minute ago, Paul Brancato said:

Are there pics of Puglibet? 

I have a photo taken much later, but I've filled attachment allotment on EF.

(a personal anecdote: I emailed the photo to a Dallas researcher who encountered a man posing as a cattle rancher at The Mansion on Turtle Creek in the early 1980s; when she read about Pugibet we both considered the possibility. She didn't recognize the photo in question, but said "it was a late night at the bar when he tried to pick her up."

On 11/17/2023 at 10:28 AM, Michael Griffith said:

This is sad, wrong, and embarrassing. Unlike Truman and Ike, JFK sold the Hawk anti-air missile system to Israel. As I've documented in other threads, JFK made several speeches in which he made his pro-Israeli position clear. 

Yes, JFK wanted the Dimona site inspected, and, yes, the Israelis resisted this. They did so because they correctly believed that if any nation on Earth had the moral right to have nukes, it was Israel. JFK was simply wrong on this issue. Friends don't always agree. 

The "Palestinians" would not have lost any land if their radical, pro-Hitler leaders had not rejected the 1947 UN partition plan. Their leaders were so confident that the five neighboring Arab nations could wipe the Jews into the sea in short order that they foolishly rejected the UN plan and told the five neighboring leaders that they would welcome an invasion. But, incredibly enough, the Jews fought off the five invading armies and won their independence, and formed the only democracy in the Middle East.

With all due respect, I see this response on the Hawk missiles as a bit of a knee-jerk reaction.  JFK followed through on what Truman and Ike had started; all of them weighed carefully the long-term effects of their giving Israel Hawk missiles.

https://www.israeldefense.co.il/en/node/35166

However, the Hawk missiles did not even materialize until 1969...

JFK says in this article that the Jews elected him, so he had to do something for them. I don't think it was enough...

I think JFK had every reason to be cautious about Dimona.  Israel having nuclear capability was not part of the UN resolution.  But you and I seem to be in agreement on this point, that in terms of Dimona, jFK was definitely not 'gung-ho' Israel. 

https://nsarchive.gwu.edu/briefing-book/nuclear-vault/2019-05-02/battle-letters-1963-john-f-kennedy-david-ben-gurion-levi-eshkol-us-inspections-dimona

Edited by Pamela Brown

On 11/17/2023 at 1:54 PM, Anthony Thorne said:

I agree that the CIA, as documented through maybe 30 books on my bookshelf, is more prominent throughout nearly every level of the plot you can think of. At the level of assets though - and this can be reduced down to an individual here or there - the Mossad had at least a few friends that the CIA might have found useful on the day, and I don't think it's a reach to suggest that Angleton would have been better placed than many to tap them on the shoulder if required.

I don't disagree...

Pamela:

Another issue between Ben Gurion and JFK was this:

Although the UN and Dr, Joseph Johnson had given up on the Palestinian repatriation plan, it is a myth that Kennedy did the same.

That is what everyone wants you to think.  But its not true.

Malcolm Blunt sent me diplomatic notes and correspondence on it. Kennedy was pushing it on them into 1963.

What a great idea that would have been if it had worked. 

BTW, I closed my speech at the Wecht Conference entitled "The Death of JFK and the Rise of the Neocons", with a discussion of the relationship between JFK and Nasser. And I showed the video of Nasser talking about why he got rid of the Muslim Brotherhood.  That speech is priceless.  If you have not seen it it is on You Tube.  Everyone loved it.

Edited by James DiEugenio

More on JFK's position on Dimona...his refusal to back down or negotiate may have caused the sudden resignation of David Ben Gurion...

https://nsarchive.gwu.edu/briefing-book/nuclear-vault/2019-05-02/battle-letters-1963-john-f-kennedy-david-ben-gurion-levi-eshkol-us-inspections-dimona

Edited by Pamela Brown

In my speech, I stated that, in my opinion if JFK had lived, the 1967 war would not have happened.

Nasser had too much respect and affection for Kennedy. In fact, he couldn't sleep the night he heard the news.

Whereas that policy changed radically after JFK was killed. 

Nasser eventually broke relations with the White House.

Edited by James DiEugenio

I had this speech in my presentation due to Matt Crumpton, it really gripped the audience since they had not seen it.

That's a great speech by Nasser.

Guyenot is back with another one. Even if you don't agree with every point he makes - I don't - it's worth a read.

https://www.unz.com/article/kennedy-assassination-cia-did-it-theorists-are-covering-for-israel/

I wasn't aware that Guyenot was involved with the French translation of the James Douglass book for the French market. Guyenot later pushed the Mossad-did-it thesis on Douglass, but Douglass declined to bite.

AT: That's a great speech by Nasser.

Agreed Anthony..  This is why something like 5-6 million people poured into Cairo when he died. 

Its also why Saudi Arabia hated him. And he went to war with the Muslim Brotherhood.

Kennedy saw in Nasser something that no one else did before or since,  as a way to westernize and moderate Islamic fundamentalism in the Middle East. I think he was right about that.

9 hours ago, James DiEugenio said:

In my speech, I stated that, in my opinion if JFK had lived, the 1967 war would not have happened.

Nasser had too much respect and affection for Kennedy. In fact, he couldn't sleep the night he heard the news.

Whereas that policy changed radically after JFK was killed. 

Nasser eventually broke relations with the White House.

I agree.  

Thanks Pamela for being knowledgeable about this difficult issue.