The Education Forum

Mauser in the TSBD

If they did find a Mauser it couldn’t have a scope as the mounts cover the Mauser stamp and 7.65.

The graphic should say the Stripper clip doesn’t go into the Carcano...  when it was realized the Carcano needed a clip, a clip was produced....

I’ve also felt, “why designate the caliber and model in an affidavit that day or the next when, ‘we found a rifle’ would have been fine”?

There was no need for them, AFTER Day claims he says it’s stamped 6.5 (not to much actually) Made in Italy... 

It actually says Made Italy... and the Cal stamp looks more like a 3 than a 5... the rifle Day carries out of the TSBD doesn’t appear to have a Cal stamp, at all...

774675865_Allen-DayandrifleVERYlargeandclear-coparingCALstamptoTSBDrifle-notthere.jpg.3cf599cca9e7d85f79211ba83675db0c.jpg

2024736474_StripperCliploadingtheMAUSERandtheCarcanoClipsystem-ScopecoversMAUSERstamp-smaller.thumb.jpg.28e29d1cbb6a870dcb209af84e9226b8.jpg

1 hour ago, Lawrence Schnapf said:

weitzman said it was a mauser type action (mauser was the first to use the bolt action). i dont think he actually said it was a Mauser.  

Did Weitzman ever comment on his fellow officer Roger Craig's public claim of there being stamped right on the barrel of the same rifle they were both inches from..."7.65 Mauser?"

If Weitzman thought Craig's statement was totally false...why not state so? If only to absolve himself from blame for his own embarrassing initial mis-identification.

And I have seen Weitzman on video talking about how he made a mistake in his first identification of the rifle as a Mauser.

I don't recall his admission of mis-identification stating that his only comments while looking at the rifle while Fritz was holding it were it was " a Mauser type action."

Edited by Joe Bauer