The Education Forum

The inevitable end result of our last 56 years

3 hours ago, Steve Thomas said:

Donald Trump and the wider Republican Party seem to be promoting entertainers for public office.

Dr. Oz was a TV doctor. No political experience.

Herschel Walker - a football player. No political experience

Kari Lake - a TV news anchor. No political experience.

J.D. Vance - author. No political experience.

What happens if these people get elected and actually have to govern?

Are we going to have a national variety show? Straw Hats? Barbershop Quartets?

Steve Thomas

Don't forget Kari Lakes! 

Edited by Matthew Koch

• Replies 18.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Benjamin Cole

• Douglas Caddy

• W. Niederhut

• Steve Thomas

5 hours ago, Benjamin Cole said:

Walker sure appears to be a boob.

Is the noisome glare of media too noxious...the good and the decent no longer seek public office or positions? The endless money-raising from the monied? 

What happened to the Walter Reuthers, the JFKs, the Eisenhowers, even the Jimmy Carters? 

What starts as a cause becomes party politics, then a business, and then a racket. 

I think we are into the racket stage....

What you talkin' bout, Willis? I love Herschel !!
"Pronouns... in our.. Miliatary?!?" LOL 

21 hours ago, Andrew Prutsok said:

Disappointing that Dems are blowing the midterms. They had the wind at their backs since summer and have done literally nothing to address or even talk about the economic challenges families face. It's all about abortion, cutlure wars, etc. Herschel Walker's election as a US senator will be fitting end to this place.

Andrew, That's because to mention the economy is poison for the Democrats and they'll be hit over the head with it.

The broad economics are 2 years front loaded  anyway, so Biden's not to blame for inflation, but in this case,  Trump isn't either. Most of Biden's  current stimulus is way in the pipeline.

For temporary relief. I don't know why Biden didn't do a windfall profits tax on the oil companies and cut the citizens a check. He's got nothing to lose.He's already the least popular President with Wall Street since, probably Jimmy Carter

52 minutes ago, Kirk Gallaway said:

That's because to mention the economy is poison for the Democrats and they'll be hit over the head with it.

Which is the dumbest thing ever; have people really forgotten that it was Bush and Trump that spiraled the debt? That Dems always have to fix the economic mess Repubs make?

And I'd say a record-low unemployment rate is something to brag about, not run from.

7 minutes ago, Douglas Caddy said:

s this the reality that America faces? I hope not.

Most Americans are massively misinformed and don't even realize it. The GOP effort to Make America Stupid has been wildly successful.

Top that off with privileged white millennials thinking voting is passe, while inbred MAGAs treat governing like it's pro wrestling, and there you go.

4 minutes ago, Matt Allison said:

That Dems always have to fix the economic mess Repubs make?

The trouble is; the last time America was debt free, Andrew Jackson was in charge. Its been a while since it’s been “fixed.” It was Woodrow Wilson who really put this noose around everyone’s necks by acquiescing to demands for a Federal Reserve with private shareholders. 

43 minutes ago, Matt Allison said:

Which is the dumbest thing ever; have people really forgotten that it was Bush and Trump that spiraled the debt? That Dems always have to fix the economic mess Repubs make?

And I'd say a record-low unemployment rate is something to brag about, not run from.

Yes, or they never remembered it. The average voter doesn't have a lot on the ball. People think in short term, and right now the headlines are about the effects of inflation. The Republicans are  trying to paint the Democrats as too insulated to care about it, and that general message works well, as you can already see with Ben.

They can also say that Biden at the beginning of the year, at first said inflation was just a blip, But then you had Putin invade Ukraine and set off oil prices. I don't think the public perception would be half what it is right now, if that didn't happen.

But he should take credit for record unemployment. Even though the people who have most benefited from that are not particularly good voters. He also busted the pharmaceutical companies to allow collective bargaining for Prescription Drugs, which you would think would go well with the elderly Fox  voter demographic, but they don't vote in their interests.

That's why the Dems should get Bernie to go on Fox. He did very well there, the last time when he was running for President. Because if those viewers don't particularly feel the Bern, they do feel the burn! heh heh   Why isn't he? Also midwest centrist Democrats in purple states  like Klobuchar. The only one whose doing that now is Buttigieg , who comes off much  more impressive than the  great majority of their guests.

Edited by Kirk Gallaway

1 hour ago, Chris Barnard said:

The trouble is; the last time America was debt free, Andrew Jackson was in charge. Its been a while since it’s been “fixed.” It was Woodrow Wilson who really put this noose around everyone’s necks by acquiescing to demands for a Federal Reserve with private shareholders. 

Chris, I should tell you, that I did like your historical primer on inflation. I knew it would probably end up with something like parents being so strapped that they end up selling their children as slaves.But the general message is sound economic principle.  If governments print too much money, there will be inflation.

But I'm not sure how applicable that is to modern times, though they've been saying there's to be a day of reckoning about all my life. All the western  economies have been cumulatively overspending all your lifetime and yet interest rates has steadily come down for the last 40 years.  A lot of it is demographics, but that's another matter. In the last 20 years they've sometimes flirted with zero% interest rates!

A lot of what is happening now is Fed hubris as in the U.S. they've managed to control inflation so well over the decades and they thought they were successfully dodging  a potential catastrophe with the Covid pandemic and were in denial, when they should have started tightening a year ago. Now they're in a mad dash to catch up and there's a fear they could further upset the world economy with tightening shocks and bring on a big recession.

But right now bad economic news is good news to them as evidence that they are slowing the economy down, which will bring down inflation. The Trump appointed head of the head of the Fed, Jerome Powell is a Republican whose primary target is now to bring down wage inflation and take back some of the gains the workers have made.  So in the intermediate term, It doesn't look good for the working guy.

But as you know, the world is freaking out about inflation. It's interesting to see people are finally getting hep to the trickle down theory. As newcomer ideologue Liz Truss actually reacted by proposing tax cuts to the rich, then bond yields went sky high the pound plummeted ,and then she reversed herself, which doesn't inspire confidence either,  and now it looks like she's heading toward an early Brexit , right?
heh heh

Whether the Fed should even exist is another question, but it's so steeped in by now. I can tell you that all of us who would like to see it gone are not at all prepared for the total economic collapse that would have to happen to see it gone.
Edited by Kirk Gallaway

7 minutes ago, Kirk Gallaway said:

Chris, I should tell you, that I did like your historical primer on inflation. I knew it would probably end up with something like parents being so strapped that they end up selling their children as slaves.But the general message is sound economic principle.  If governments print too much money, there will be inflation.

But I'm not sure how applicable that is to modern times, though they've been saying there's to be a day of reckoning about all my life. All the western  economies have been cumulatively overspending all your lifetime and yet interest rates has steadily come down for the last 40 years.  A lot of it is demographics, but that's another matter. In the last 20 years they've sometimes flirted with zero% interest rates!

A lot of what is happening now is Fed hubris as in the U.S. they've managed to control inflation so well over the decades and they thought they were successfully dodging  a potential catastrophe with the Covid pandemic and were in denial, when they should have started tightening a year ago. Now they're in a mad dash to catch up and there's a fear they could further upset the world economy with tightening shocks.

But right now bad economic news is good news to them as evidence that they are slowing the economy down, which will bring down inflation. The Trump appointed head of the head of the Fed, Jerome Powell is a Republican whose primary target is now to bring down wage inflation and take back some of the gains the workers have made.  So in the intermediate term, It doesn't look good for the working guy.

But as you know, the world is freaking out about inflation. It's interesting to see people are finally getting hep to the trickle down theory. As newcomer ideologue Liz Truss actually reacted by proposing tax cuts to the rich, then bond yields went sky high the pound plummeted ,and then she reversed herself, which doesn't inspire confidence either,  and now it looks like she's heading toward an early Brexit , right?
heh heh

Whether the Fed should even exist is another question, but it's so steeped in by now. I can tell you that all of us who would like to see it gone are not at all prepared for the total economic collapse that would have to happen to see it gone.

Thanks for the thoughtful and rather cordial reply, Kirk. I am Incredibly grateful that I am living outside of the British system. Each time I go back it seems worse; for the people living in it, they have no real perception of most of the changes. They all notice the crippling energy costs, though. Its something I haven’t seen in my lifetime, the hard choice between food and heating that is coming. i have no commentary on Truss, as I presume she’ll be at least as bad as Boris. I am very disconnected from it all, we have our own independent government where I live. The main concern is that the government here doesn’t follow western European countries into the mire. We’re fortunate the debt is at zero right now. 

There is nothing for me to gloat about here but, I did try to sound the alarm on C19 policy and the false assertions in the media, the politicians and Dr’s allied to big pharma. We are all paying for that now, fiscally or some unfortunately with their precious health. Its a tragedy. 😞 The second phase of that is this austerity, collapsing supply chains, food shortages, devalued currencies and spiraling costs. We get into the semantics but, when the wealth is all flowing upwards and the middle class is being obliterated, is it really a far cry to think the oligarchs and plutocrats are behind this, or at least encouraging/exacerbating the situation? From where I am standing, it looks like a monumental betrayal. I know you think I have this dystopian world view but, when you step outside of it, it looks a lot different looking back in. Like the inflation video, history tells us what is happening but, nobody wants to see it, its too painful and disconcerting. To set the record straight; I know you have another impression but, my motivations are to inform. I am actually an optimist by nature and I have next to zero stress or anxiety about all of this, mainly because I have accepted what is happening and that it will run its course until collapse. If I was pensioner right now, I’d probably tune out completely. I have half a life to live and plan on making the most of it. Being analytical by nature and partial to playing devils advocate; I frequently put myself in the shoes of those offering an opposing opinion. I live amongst a whole bunch of very educated expatriates, including psychologists, lawyers, entrepreneurs and financial traders. They all see this happening and are trying to insulate against it. 

Are we the Helot’s, Kirk? 

Regarding the creation of the FED, it’s probably America’s greatest conspiracy, the secret gathering on Jekyll Island and the duping of Wilson. You can say you are too far down the track but, Andrew Jackson abolished the previous versions and IMHO you’ll not be free until this monopoly is broken. Those who control the flow of money have the greatest power, more so than the politicians that you vote in. 

The Republicans have demagogued the subject of the national debt.

I used to be a daily listener to Rush Limbaugh. Started in the Clinton presidency. When there was a Democrat in the White House, the national debt was not just BAD, but EVIL. But when George W. Bush was elected, suddenly the national debt wasn't such a big deal; Limbaugh simply said, "We'll pay it back with fiat money, letting inflation make the money we use to pay it back worth less than the debt when it was incurred.

Then Obama was elected. And the national debt was suddenly EVIL again.

That's about the time I stopped listening to Limbaugh. I realized he was less about conservative principles and all about Republican politics, despite his protestation to the contrary.

6 minutes ago, Mark Knight said:

The Republicans have demagogued the subject of the national debt.

I used to be a daily listener to Rush Limbaugh. Started in the Clinton presidency. When there was a Democrat in the White House, the national debt was not just BAD, but EVIL. But when George W. Bush was elected, suddenly the national debt wasn't such a big deal; Limbaugh simply said, "We'll pay it back with fiat money, letting inflation make the money we use to pay it back worth less than the debt when it was incurred.

Then Obama was elected. And the national debt was suddenly EVIL again.

That's about the time I stopped listening to Limbaugh. I realized he was less about conservative principles and all about Republican politics, despite his protestation to the contrary.

Whoever is in power, its mantra of the opposition to demonise them. The debt situation is very bad no matter who is at the helm. When you have money backed by nothing at all, its just paper, or soon, a number on a computer screen. You have private entities with the power to invent money out of thin air and charge the masses interest on that. This is fractional reserve banking. At some stage, this all has to come crashing down. Most people are more concerned with the red/blue tussle, or blame game, as opposed to the bigger picture. The people who ushered this system in didn't care about red or blue, just the ability to profit from the population. I can totally see why its frustrating, Mark, to see one side blamed and not the other. 

'It just fizzled': Fox News host slams John Durham's 'imploding' investigation after key acquittal - Raw Story - Celebrating 18 Years of Independent Journalism

It is the end of Durham and his phony muti-year investigations that cost the American taxpayers mucho $$$.

Edited by Douglas Caddy