• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Benjamin Cole

• Douglas Caddy

• W. Niederhut

• Steve Thomas

2 minutes ago, Kirk Gallaway said:

If you want to show me you're into serious, substantive conversation, answer the points W. makes.

Otherwise I'm just going to have fun.

I'm sorry you can't, but stop blaming others.

Kirk--

In years past, I re-hashed various talking points on all these topics.

But, unfortunately, often the conversations became repetitive and abusive. So I tend to stay away from "debate" with various posters. 

If you would like to ponder this, perhaps we could have a conversation:  The US Capitol Police want to keep 14,000 hours of surveillance footage from Jan. 6 secret. They cite the usual needs for government secrecy: Sources and methods and national security. 

That strikes me as bad policy. 

You views? 

On a separate note @Kirk Gallaway. I did a little exploring on YouTube yesterday, there is now a very handy little button to the bottom right of the viewing screen that looks like a pair of scissors and says “clip”. This enables you to crop a segment of a YouTube video to share via a link or social Media App. 

Process. 

1) Click “clip” button.

2) Select desired segment of the video. + add a written commentary of your own. 

3) Hit the “share” button when complete.

You’re done. It’s very easy. 

I using the Youtube App on a mobile phone (cellphone). Not the desktop version. 

16 minutes ago, Kirk Gallaway said:

No no no, I asked first, address W's points.

Ben: So I tend to stay away from "debate" with various posters. 

Then why should anybody debate with you your questions?

If, like John Cotter, they debate on the issues without abusive commentary, then we can have a debate. 

I disagree with John Cotter on the nature of the Russia-Ukraine war. So what? He has his views, and I have mine. 

Edited by Benjamin Cole

8 minutes ago, Kirk Gallaway said:

No no no, I asked first, address W's points.

That's about the answer I expected.

5 minutes ago, Benjamin Cole said:

If, like John Cotter, they debate on the issues with abusive commentary, then we can have a debate. 

Oh, so abusive commentary is a condition for debate now?

Well then duke it out with John!  Substantively , my money is in John!

heh heh

Fascinating. Under current law, a President or a Vice President can unilaterally declassify any federal document at will. 

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/biden-documents/

Maybe Kamala Harris would declassify the 40 CIA docs that Jefferson Morley wants to see, re New Orleans? 

Or...maybe not. 

Some of Trump's deposition comments disparaging his rape charge lawsuit filer E. Jean Carroll and the charge itself.

Unbelievable in their self-incriminating brashness ... or ignorance.

Under oath, Trump hurled insults at woman who alleges rape

Associated Press
LARRY NEUMEISTER
January 13, 2023, 6:36 PM

f7ac9ad13bb2b0a2efe17f6def1dea66

NEW YORK (AP) — Questioned for a lawsuit, former President Donald Trump angrily hurled insults and threatened to sue the columnist who accused him of raping her in a department store in the 1990s, according to excerpts of his videotaped testimony unsealed by a court on Friday.

Portions of his 5 1/2-hour October deposition in a lawsuit filed by columnist E. Jean Carroll were released publicly after a federal judge rejected his lawyers' request that it remained sealed.

“She said that I did something to her that never took place. There was no anything. I know nothing about this nut job,” he said, according to the transcript.

The excerpts reveal a contentious battle between Trump and Roberta Kaplan, a lawyer for Carroll, who questioned him as Trump called the former longtime Elle magazine columnist the perpetrator of “a complete scam” in which she described the rape as she “was promoting a really crummy book.”

“I will sue her after this is over, and that’s the thing I really look forward to doing. And I’ll sue you too,” he told Kaplan.

The release of excerpts from the deposition came the same day as Judge Lewis A. Kaplan, unrelated to the lawyer, also refused a request by Trump’s attorneys to toss out two lawsuits by Carroll alleging defamation and rape. An April trial is planned.

Trump has repeatedly said the encounter with Carroll in the mid-1990s at an upscale Manhattan department store never happened.

In his testimony, Trump repeatedly attacked Carroll's depiction of him as a rapist.

Trump said he knew it wasn't “politically correct” to say “she's not my type” when he responded to claims shortly after Carroll's 2019 book was published. The writer alleged she was attacked by Trump in a dressing room after they had a chance meeting in the store and she agreed to help him pick out lingerie for a friend.

“But I’ll say it anyway,” he said. “She’s accusing me of rape, a woman that I have no idea who she is. It came out of the blue. She’s accusing me of raping her, the worst thing you can do, the worst charge.”

Speaking to her attorney, he added: “And you know it’s not true too. You’re a political operative also. You’re a disgrace. But she’s accusing me and so are you of rape, and it never took place.”

At one point in the deposition, Trump called Carroll “sick, mentally sick.” He mischaracterized an interview Carroll had given on CNN, falsely claiming she had talked about enjoying being sexually assaulted. “She actually indicated that she loved it. Okay? She loved it until commercial break,” Trump said. “In fact, I think she said it was sexy, didn’t she? She said it was very sexy to be raped. Didn’t she say that?”

Kaplan, Carroll’s attorney, then tried to elicit from Trump that he raped her client.

“So, sir, I just want to confirm: It’s your testimony that E. Jean Carroll said that she loved being sexually assaulted by you?”

Trump answered: “Well, based on her interview with Anderson Cooper, I believe that’s what took place. And we can define that. ... I think she said that rape was sexy – which it’s not, by the way.”

What Carroll has said in her writing, and in the interview with Cooper, is that she doesn’t like to use the word rape because some other people “think rape is sexy.” She said she preferred the term “fight.”

At another point in the deposition, Kaplan asked Trump if he had ever touched a woman on her breast or buttocks or any other sexual part without her consent.

>>>> "Well, I will tell you no, but you may have some people like your client that lie," he responded. <<<< UNBELIEVABLY INCRIMINATING!

Other Trump  SEXUALLY AGGRESSIVE BEHAVIOR quotes from the past:

Trump speaking at length about hitting on an unidentified woman.

"I did try and xxxx her. She was married," Trump is heard telling Bush.

He continues, per the Post recording, "And I moved on her very heavily. In fact, I took her out furniture shopping. She wanted to get some furniture. I said, 'I'll show you where they have some nice furniture.'"

Easy to believe Trump telling E. Jean Carroll ...I'll show you where they have some nice lingerie...?

"You can grab em by the pu$$y ... they let you because you're a celebrity."

The Trump DNA on Carroll's clothing she wore that day could prove everything.

Kaplan, the Manhattan judge, earlier Friday upheld the lawsuits alleging rape and defamation and seeking unspecified damages by Carroll, saying they could proceed to trial because Trump's challenges were without merit.

Edited by Joe Bauer

4 minutes ago, Benjamin Cole said:

Video emerges of George Santos introducing himself as ‘Anthony Devolder’ at a pro-Trump LGBTQ event

‘My name is Anthony Devolder, I’m a New York City resident’

---30---

An odd duck, to be sure. 

"Odd Duck" ???

Why use a downplaying term like that.

The guy is a pathological xxxx! To a degree of serious mental illness.

There is so much we all know about him now to "prove" that he is that mentally ill.

To protect the national security integrity of our Congress a dangerous person like Santos should be expelled.

Still raining cats and dogs here on the central California Coast. 5 in the morning.

Much more rain expected today and tomorrow.

Things are simply saturated everywhere.

Forgetting what it's like to see a sunny day!

1 hour ago, Joe Bauer said:

"Odd Duck" ???

Why use a downplaying term like that.

The guy is a pathological xxxx! To a degree of serious mental illness.

There is so much we all know about him now to "prove" that he is that mentally ill.

To protect the national security integrity of our Congress a dangerous person like Santos should be expelled.

JB-

Oh, you are probably right. 

On the other hand, the US pursued a 20-year losing, counterproductive war in Afghanistan, at a cost of who knows how much human misery and outlays of $3 trillion. 

That was in addition to Iraq, and Vietnam. 

How do you describe people who prosecuted those wars? 

So far, Santos (IMHO) is just an odd duck. Deeply troubled. He probably should resign. But he has not uselessly (or worse) dropped bombs on people. 

10 hours ago, Kirk Gallaway said:

This is a  well written piece which counters the usual Ben non specific garbage, and John's piggybacking on it, with neither having any specific knowledge what they're talking, which John can be forgiven for since he's not expected to have any specific knowledge about U.S. politics.

It is an infinitely more interesting piece, written out of personal experience and observation as opposed to Ben's repetitive cacophony, of striking out about his current discontent and blaming it on his country of origin, which is purely computer driven,  article based,  angst because he hasn't been there for over 20 years.

I'll take experience and good writing any day  to inexperience and regretful moaning.

I assume John doesn't religiously watch MSNPC like you do, and thus he is more informed with reality. Kirk the Rub is always the last to understand that they've been grifted by nothing burgers. 

Just wait two more weeks like the QAnon people.. he he 

10 hours ago, Benjamin Cole said:

If, like John Cotter, they debate on the issues without abusive commentary, then we can have a debate. 

I disagree with John Cotter on the nature of the Russia-Ukraine war. So what? He has his views, and I have mine. 

Ben,

You don't seem to understand the meaning of ad hominem arguments or "abusive" commentary.

If you take the time to read my detailed response your post, (and John's concurrence) you will learn that I specifically addressed the issues that you and John raised.

I went to considerable lengths to address the erroneous claim that Trump is a populist, and the related claim that Democrats have abandoned the working class-- focusing, in particular, on the issues of health care and tax policy.

I also referenced the facts about Russia's multi-faceted interference in our 2016 election.  Russia's social media t-r-o-l-l-i-n-g was only one facet of the GRU cyber warfare on behalf of Trump and the right wing Trump cult.