• Douglas Caddy

• W. Niederhut

• Steve Thomas

Just now, Matt Allison said:

No idea what you're talking about  Back to lying about me, Chris? tsk tsk

Oh you’re the victim now? Isn’t that a surprise. 😌

3 minutes ago, Matthew Koch said:

Hi Ben,

to be clear if we're using Western Values aka basically the Golden Rule. No, I don't think that an invasion is justified. But like China, most Russians don't really subscribe to the same Christian values we do in the west.
With that being said that is why I always thought the Russians were going to invade. Because of the history Ukraine and Russia has this is a little more personal, the land currently being fought over (Currently and Crimea) was Russian before. Nikita Khrushchev who was Ukrainian gave it to Ukraine, because it was his favorite vacation area. Russia made the right decision claiming their military base in Crimea when an illegal Coup De Tat was caused by NATO and the EU. This special operation is basically a continuation of that. This was done as a result of what Russia was able to do in Syria. Russia became involved, not to be righteous in the Middle East. They got involved like they did because they have a base in Syria, there are holy orthodox churches there and Assad is their only ally in the region since the 70's. It would have been a national embarrassment to lose Syria. It was going to effect Russian National Security if they lost there, and what did they do. Kicked butt because they had to! 
(Yes Putin and Russia were baited into this.) I feel like Ukraine is a very similar situation to Syria, but more so, in that they can't accept defeat most inportantly. Secondly, this is a chance to embarrass NATO and the West. Hence score points with the BRICCS nation allies. 
And they have have been doing that with the sanctions, gas, and soon to come fertilizer exports.

Russia was fighting this with the dregs of their society conscripts, round one .. I don't know how much better the troops and the gear they were holding back is. But, the western media hasn't reported truthfully on this. Ukraine has been losing around 1K solders a day for the last two months. This isn't Vietnam they're going to run out of men, unless the West really gets involved.I watched how the Russian Army conquered Chernobyl back in the day with the "liquidators", they threw soldiers onto the roof for 1 minute tour of duties to throw radioactive graphite rods off the roof with a shovel. (because the radiation killed the robots working on the clean up)
So when people try to cite Russian body counts, I really don't think they care, lol. 

Is this war worth getting involved past sending gear and special forces similar to Vietnam was up until 64'? 
I gotta say, No. 
This is a Biden Foreign policy failure and it is much worse than under the last Administration. I blame Zelensky the most.  At the end of the day this is what happens when you elect a comedian as your leader. He should have negotiated better. 

As far as the stalemate goes, I think Russia is just going to do a blitzkrieg to Kiev, in the near future. I also think people will be surprised that NATO and the US don't get involved past sending aid. If that is the strategy that will be employed.  But, for anyone who's been following this it won't be a surprise.. because why would you want to go and fight and die for one of the most corrupt countries and leaders? 

MK--

Well, making predictions is hard, especially about the future. 

Russia's occupation of Afghanistan rings a bell. 

Recent history: if an occupied nation has a will to fight...the occupying power is in for a long, and perhaps endless war. 

The Ukrainians appear willing to fight.

More recent history: Dropping bombs on people increases resolve, not decreases. When the Hitler bombed London, the Londoners knew they could never let Hitler win. 

Putin has bombed Kyiv, Mariupol, many places.

The Ukrainians are not going to forget that. 

A long and ugly war ahead. 

Putin has lost the war he started.

He's losing the territory he illegally tried to take from the sovereign country of Ukraine.

It is now only a matter of time before he resorts to lobbing tactical nuclear weapons over the border and into Ukraine.

Putin the Madman doesn't care; he knows he himself will be dead soon so he has no reservations about starting nuclear war.

1 hour ago, Benjamin Cole said:

MK--

Well, making predictions is hard, especially about the future. 

Russia's occupation of Afghanistan rings a bell. 

Recent history: if an occupied nation has a will to fight...the occupying power is in for a long, and perhaps endless war. 

The Ukrainians appear willing to fight.

More recent history: Dropping bombs on people increases resolve, not decreases. When the Hitler bombed London, the Londoners knew they could never let Hitler win. 

Putin has bombed Kyiv, Mariupol, many places.

The Ukrainians are not going to forget that. 

A long and ugly war ahead. 

This happened earlier today, watch from the 2:45 to 3:50 mark, people in NATO countries don't want to fight in a war against Russia..

1 hour ago, Matt Allison said:

Nah. The children your hero Putin murders every day are the victims.

Again you revert back to this moronic stance that anyone not taking your position must be a Putin supporter. Your thinking is so one dimensional, so primitive. Unfortunately, geopolitics and many other facets of life are just a lot more nuanced. 

5 minutes ago, Matt Allison said:

The reason we all recognized you as a Putin apologist is because you spend so much time kissing his ass, Chris.

Are you claiming you're not?

Go ahead and decry specific Putin actions. Right now.

Right here:

This is the trouble isn’t it? You can’t imagine a scenario that someone would not support your view, unless they were a Russian supporter. Do you remember how many countries were neutral on the Vietnam war? It didn’t make them supporters of the enemy, just advocates of a different solution that averted bloodshed and tragedy. 

I have already rejected Putin’s actions in discussion here, explaining clearly that I am against the invasion and conflict that is ruining so many lives. I also provided people like yourself with some background as to how this perilous situation has come about. Of course you ignored it, as you clearly know more than eminent geopolitics experts like Meersheimer. And you chose to revert back to comic book story that the tyrant went mad and just started invading his neighbours, trying to restore the former perceived glory and status of the Soviet Union. You’re thinking is just so basic. 
Where we diverge even further is that you think the answer is cheerleading the war and thirsting for Russian blood. I have read enough history, psychology and philosophy to understand that your idea only exacerbates the problem and leads to greater suffering. 

Every time you try to debate me, Matt, you end up humiliated. Your ability to logic is deficient, as you skew heavily toward impulses and emotions. I remember you challenged me a month or so back to come up with stuff I predicted that came true. I gave you more than you asked for and then you hid your head in the sand, fell silent. 

I am going to say it again; the answer is detente, rapprochement, peace. Not cheerleading conflict which robs the tax payer and lines the pockets of the guys making the bombs and guns. 

2 hours ago, Matthew Koch said:

This happened earlier today, watch from the 2:45 to 3:50 mark, people in NATO countries don't want to fight in a war against Russia..

MK-

Protest is somewhat allowed in Western nations, but less so in Russia.

What counts is Ukrainian sentiment. 

Putin has bombed Ukrainian cities. Ukrainian soldiers have died, and some civilians. 

The Ukrainians are motivated, earnest, dogged, accurately believe they are defending homeland. 

This could be a long, long war, and recent history suggests the occupiers eventually go home. 

It may be the US Deep State has tilted the war towards a long stalemate, hoping to dislodge Putin. 

6 hours ago, Matt Allison said:

LOL

You just punted.

Decry specific actions, Chris.

Do it right here:

Matt, I know it’s a waste of time trying to engage in rational discourse with you because, among other things, you constantly ignore and misrepresent what your opponents say.

I’m just stepping in here to illustrate that point by saying that in Chris’s post immediately preceding your reply, he stated that he was against Putin’s invasion of Ukraine and the resulting conflict there. And yet in your reply you asked him to decry specific actions by Putin.

Are you so brainwashed and blinded by jingoistic Russophobic propaganda that your cognitive faculties are seriously impaired? This is a common and indeed pervasive phenomenon in times of war and social upheaval. It’s known as psychic contagion.

Carl Jung used the term “psychic epidemic”:

"Indeed, it is becoming ever more obvious that it is not famine, not earthquakes, not microbes, not cancer but man himself who is man's greatest danger to man, for the simple reason that there is no adequate protection against psychic epidemics, which are infinitely more devastating than the worst of natural catastrophes." (Carl Jung, 'The Symbolic Life', the transcript of a seminar given in London in 1939.)