The Education Forum

The inevitable end result of our last 56 years

TRUTH COPS

Leaked Documents Outline DHS’s Plans to Police Disinformation

The Intercept

THE DEPARTMENT OF HOMELAND SECURITY is quietly broadening its efforts to curb speech it considers dangerous, an investigation by The Intercept has found. Years of internal DHS memos, emails, and documents — obtained via leaks and an ongoing lawsuit, as well as public documents — illustrate an expansive effort by the agency to influence tech platforms.

The work, much of which remains unknown to the American public, came into clearer view earlier this year when DHS announced a new “Disinformation Governance Board”: a panel designed to police misinformation (false information spread unintentionally), disinformation (false information spread intentionally), and malinformation (factual information shared, typically out of context, with harmful intent) that allegedly threatens U.S. interests. While the board was widely ridiculed, immediately scaled back, and then shut down within a few months, other initiatives are underway as DHS pivots to monitoring social media now that its original mandate — the war on terror — has been wound down.

Behind closed doors, and through pressure on private platforms, the U.S. government has used its power to try to shape online discourse. According to meeting minutes and other records appended to a lawsuit filed by Missouri Attorney General Eric Schmitt, a Republican who is also running for Senate, discussions have ranged from the scale and scope of government intervention in online discourse to the mechanics of streamlining takedown requests for false or intentionally misleading information.

Key Takeaways

Though DHS shuttered its controversial Disinformation Governance Board, a strategic document reveals the underlying work is ongoing.

DHS plans to target inaccurate information on “the origins of the COVID-19 pandemic and the efficacy of COVID-19 vaccines, racial justice, U.S. withdrawal from Afghanistan, and the nature of U.S. support to Ukraine.”

Facebook created a special portal for DHS and government partners to report disinformation directly.

---30---

The Ministry of Truth?

And was talk about the COVID-19 origins dangerous to US interests? 

How about talk about the Vietnam, Iraq and Afghanistan wars?

Oh, sure, this will be packaged as a good idea, a way to repress insurrectionists or whatever. 

But what starts as a goody-goody program turns into politics, then turns into a business, and then turns into a racket.

Or rank repression. 

• Replies 18.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Benjamin Cole

• Douglas Caddy

• W. Niederhut

• Steve Thomas

40 minutes ago, Benjamin Cole said:

TRUTH COPS

Leaked Documents Outline DHS’s Plans to Police Disinformation

The Intercept

THE DEPARTMENT OF HOMELAND SECURITY is quietly broadening its efforts to curb speech it considers dangerous, an investigation by The Intercept has found. Years of internal DHS memos, emails, and documents — obtained via leaks and an ongoing lawsuit, as well as public documents — illustrate an expansive effort by the agency to influence tech platforms.

The work, much of which remains unknown to the American public, came into clearer view earlier this year when DHS announced a new “Disinformation Governance Board”: a panel designed to police misinformation (false information spread unintentionally), disinformation (false information spread intentionally), and malinformation (factual information shared, typically out of context, with harmful intent) that allegedly threatens U.S. interests. While the board was widely ridiculed, immediately scaled back, and then shut down within a few months, other initiatives are underway as DHS pivots to monitoring social media now that its original mandate — the war on terror — has been wound down.

Behind closed doors, and through pressure on private platforms, the U.S. government has used its power to try to shape online discourse. According to meeting minutes and other records appended to a lawsuit filed by Missouri Attorney General Eric Schmitt, a Republican who is also running for Senate, discussions have ranged from the scale and scope of government intervention in online discourse to the mechanics of streamlining takedown requests for false or intentionally misleading information.

Key Takeaways

Though DHS shuttered its controversial Disinformation Governance Board, a strategic document reveals the underlying work is ongoing.

DHS plans to target inaccurate information on “the origins of the COVID-19 pandemic and the efficacy of COVID-19 vaccines, racial justice, U.S. withdrawal from Afghanistan, and the nature of U.S. support to Ukraine.”

Facebook created a special portal for DHS and government partners to report disinformation directly.

---30---

The Ministry of Truth?

And was talk about the COVID-19 origins dangerous to US interests? 

How about talk about the Vietnam, Iraq and Afghanistan wars?

Oh, sure, this will be packaged as a good idea, a way to repress insurrectionists or whatever. 

But what starts as a goody-goody program turns into politics, then turns into a business, and then turns into a racket.

Or rank repression. 

True.

Anyone here a former resident of...CAMP LEJEUNE?

If so I URGENTLY BEG YOU to link up to www. Camp LeJeune Survivor, Victim Relief.com!

Like J.J. Walker says in his own infomercial..."NOOOWWW!"

I've never seen such a massive inundation of all our media airwaves as this CAMP LEJEUNE victim finding advertising campaign. 

Every 15 minutes every TV station I have on blares out this "are you a former Camp Lejeune resident?" message.

And the same goes for radio advertising and the internet as well!

I wake up at all hours of the night half asleep with that question repeating in my mind!

Camp LeJeune...Camp LeJeune ... Camp LeJeune ... contact us NOOOWWW!

If the Democrats had initiated a vote encouragement campaign 1/5th the energy of this Camp LeJeune victim search one...they would win these mid-terms imo.

There is a real and valuable lesson here.

And that is...if the Democrats REALLY WANTED TO WIN ELECTIONS...they could do so if they would only study the CAMP LEJEUNE media saturation project and get off the dime and do the same!

These work!

There is definitely truth to the mass broadcasting repetition of suggestive behavior in it's ability to make such messages a part of your daily life thoughts and even lexicon.

I wouldn't be surprised to learn of many girls being born now and given the first name "Le Jeune!"

Or hot selling caps and T-shirts with the message ... " CAMP LEJEUNE VETERAN!"

Republican party campaign slogan sound bites and bumper stickers ... "Don't Let The Democrats Camp LeJeune you!"

Trump deriding his enemies... "I think they drank the water at Cam LeJeune."

Edited by Joe Bauer

5 minutes ago, Douglas Caddy said:

There you go!

The worst person to take over Twitter...Maga Mush Minded Elon Musk!

Edited by Joe Bauer

OUTRAGEOUS!

Chief Justice Roberts Exposes SCOTUS's outrageous political bias!

This Trump/Republican party biased and defending Supreme Court majority should be impeached!

OUTRAGEOUS!  Delaying is the same as denying. 

To these Trump lover justices Trump's interests are more important than the rest of the country!

Every democracy loving and respecting journalist, jurist and other influential position American should condemn this despicable and even dangerous Trump defending SCOTUS bias to the highest outrage degree!

On 10/28/2022 at 10:23 PM, John Cotter said:

Chris,

Many thanks for that reply. I appreciate very much the time and effort you must have put into it and your not taking umbrage at some of the things I said which were somewhat hard-hitting and raw. I was thinking this morning that I should have let my post percolate overnight so that I might take some of the rough edges off it.

That’s cool. I am not tribal about JP, I just think he gets a fair bit right or that there is a lot of good that comes as an outcome. 

In criticising religion, I should have said authoritarian religion, not religion per se. Regarding veganism and compassion, the problem is if compassion for sentient beings is one of the main reasons for being vegan, it’s hard to see how one can explain ones position without the inference being drawn that non-vegans are lacking in compassion. The latter is not the intention, and it’s quite obvious that you and many other “carnists” are not lacking in compassion.

I think regarding veganism, or religion, I am certain I don’t have the answers. Being neither of a he above doesn’t preclude me from seeing the merits, understanding, or even questioning my own position. I may seem very concrete on some things but, these aren’t topics that I have that certainty. i have been left with a lot of loose ends regarding society after watching these ease that governments were able to shape the minds of the masses and coerce.

Nevertheless, your view on overpopulation is interesting. For the past year or so I’ve been meeting a man of around my age (I’m 68) in the local park where I regularly go for a walk. He’s a retired successful businessman who spends much of the winter in southern Portugal where he has a house and a yacht etc.

I met him again today and it struck me afterwards that he’s the only person to whom I’ve spoken in the flesh (ie not on Twitter) who shares my “heretical” views on the covid regime. Sadly, the other people in my life don’t want to know about these views and at best grudgingly tolerate them. He said today more or less what you’ve said about overpopulation. I didn’t demur because to discuss the topic fully would probably detain both of us longer than we’d like.

I feel a bit for you, as you should have more people around you that you can talk about this stuff with, without being judged. I probably have 20+ living within a mile or so of my front door who are happy to have such conversations regularly. You never feel isolated. 
As for population, the question should be; what are the reasons for a drop in fertility besides sitting at desks? What are the environmental reasons? If you use pesticides and fertilisers that change the sex of frogs, and this is in all of our food and the water supply, what is the impact and how long ago did people know this? Reducing testosterone is another way. Contraceptives in the water supply (oestrogen). Marketing the idea of people having kids later and later. Making people ashamed of humanity is another. We aren’t replicating in Europe. We can make an argument that a reduction is needed, but, is it democracy if its done under the table? I hate the pollution thats going on. Its very easy to fall into a tribal mentality assuming that everything propagated is kosher. My opinion is that its been hijacked. 

Ex head of Greenpeace blowing the whistle, or deluded guy who needs to be canceled for such outrageous views? 

GK Chesterton writes a great book on Eugenics. I think Jim Marrs writes another decent one. One think I do know is that the WHO and Rockefeller Foundation were collaborating on a project to produce fertility  reducing vaccines, decades ago. A couple of years ago the average American was having like 69 shots by adulthood. In the UK I feel like its about 10. The USA despite having perhaps the most advanced healthcare, has the something toward 50% with serious underlying  health conditions from childhood. Food is one aspect but, what else? its a heck of a big topic and people often get to the point where they have to try to understand whether this is just about corruption and profit, or something worse. 

I’m not finished learning yet I hope.

I hope I never will be, my curiosity is so strong. 

I’ll leave it at that for now. I must read your post again and digest it more fully as there’s a lot of food for thought in it.

I went through a huge reading spree, two books per week for the first year of the pandemic. I had a lot of time to think and digest all this. It was certainly a red pill moment. I was already on that track before, to some degree. I am very fortunate that I am resistant to stress and anxiety, and I can see totally why many wouldn’t want to even look at this stuff or consider it. I chatted to a friend on the phone last night and he is smart, he sees a bit of this but, openly admits that it makes him angry or anxious discussing certain topics. Thats a lot of people. They want safety and comfort, not trauma or news that is destabilising. 

“The masses have never thirsted after truth. They turn aside from evidence that is not to their taste, preferring to deify error, if error seduce them. Whoever can supply them with illusions is easily their master; whoever attempts to destroy their illusions is always their victim. An individual in a crowd is a grain of sand amid other grains of sand, which the wind stirs up at will.”

Gustave Le Bon, The Crowd 

On Friday evening, hours after Paul Pelosi was brutalized in a politically motivated attack, Donald Trump sent out a fundraising email with the subject line, "The Left is coming after me like never before":

The RAID on my Mar-a-Lago home was nothing more than unhinged POLITICAL PERSECUTION against ME, YOUR President.
For six straight years, I've been harassed, investigated, defamed, slandered, and persecuted like no one in American history — yet all I have ever wanted, and all we have ever fought for, is to simply MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN. ...
The people behind these savage witch hunts have no shame, no morals, no conscience, and absolutely no respect for the citizens of this country.
Everyone associated with this travesty will go down in history as scoundrels and arsonists who tried to demolish our justice system, shatter our most sacred traditions, and wipe out the very foundations of our democracy — for their own selfish partisan gain.
But no matter what our sick and deranged political establishment throws at me, no matter what they do to me, I will endure their torment and oppression, and I will do it willingly. They will NEVER get me to stop fighting for you, the American People.
"Me, YOUR President."
Steve Thomas

53 minutes ago, Steve Thomas said:

On Friday evening, hours after Paul Pelosi was brutalized in a politically motivated attack, Donald Trump sent out a fundraising email with the subject line, "The Left is coming after me like never before":

The RAID on my Mar-a-Lago home was nothing more than unhinged POLITICAL PERSECUTION against ME, YOUR President.
For six straight years, I've been harassed, investigated, defamed, slandered, and persecuted like no one in American history — yet all I have ever wanted, and all we have ever fought for, is to simply MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN. ...
The people behind these savage witch hunts have no shame, no morals, no conscience, and absolutely no respect for the citizens of this country.
Everyone associated with this travesty will go down in history as scoundrels and arsonists who tried to demolish our justice system, shatter our most sacred traditions, and wipe out the very foundations of our democracy — for their own selfish partisan gain.
But no matter what our sick and deranged political establishment throws at me, no matter what they do to me, I will endure their torment and oppression, and I will do it willingly. They will NEVER get me to stop fighting for you, the American People.
"Me, YOUR President."
Steve Thomas

Geez...talk about projection...

But what a relief to know that Trump is determined to "keep fighting for the American people"-- presumably by fomenting violence, sedition, and civil discord, and cutting taxes for billionaires and multi-national corporations!