The Education Forum

Oswald's language abilities and evidence related to his Soviet soujourn (1959-63)

Has Jim got around to updating his website yet? As I pointed out a few posts ago, this is the sentence Jim needs to change:

HARVEY was an ideal candidate to “defect” to the Soviet Union and work as an undercover agent who secretly understood Russian.

This is what it should read:

HARVEY was an over-qualified, far from ideal candidate to "defect" to the Soviet Union and work as an undercover agent who secretly understood Russian, because HARVEY was a native speaker of Russian and you don't need to be a native speaker to secretly understand the language that is being spoken around you.

The whole HARVEY and LEE project was unnecessary. US intelligence could have saved all the trouble and expense of a decade-long project by simply identifying an American with a knack for languages, who would work as an undercover agent who secretly understood Russian.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

18 hours ago, Jeremy Bojczuk said:

The whole HARVEY and LEE project was unnecessary.

So, are you saying you think there was a HARVEY and LEE project?

Edited by John Butler

John Butler writes:

So, are you saying you think there was a HARVEY and LEE project?

Of course not. Almost no-one believes that.

We know that the 'Harvey and Lee' double-doppelganger project did not exist. We also know that it cannot have existed, in principle.

The supposed purpose of the project was to produce a false defector who understood Russian and who had a plausible American background. There was a blindingly obvious way to do this: simply recruit one genuine American and get him to learn Russian. There would have been more than enough suitable candidates, and more than enough time for the candidate to learn Russian to the required level. No-one would have even considered setting up a project involving two pairs of doppelgangers.

There was no 'Harvey and Lee' project. It could never have happened.

Has Jim acknowledged this fact by correcting the inaccurate passage in his website yet?

• 5 months later...
On 7/9/2021 at 3:35 AM, Jeremy Bojczuk said:

John Butler writes:

So, are you saying you think there was a HARVEY and LEE project?

Of course not. Almost no-one believes that. We know that the 'Harvey and Lee' double-doppelganger project did not exist. We also know that it cannot have existed, in principle. There was no 'Harvey and Lee' project. It could never have happened. Has Jim acknowledged this fact by correcting the inaccurate passage in his website yet?

I was going through some of these older threads. I am not sure that "almost no one believes" [the project]...I have also learned that one should never say never. While I think that John Armstrong raised some interesting questions...I do have  some questions about about his conclusions. A couple of years ago, 'Harvey and Lee' was available on line. I can no longer find it.          [If anyone can provide a link?]

Amazon reviews.... https://www.amazon.com/Harvey-Lee-John-Armstrong/product-reviews/0974509701/ref=cm_cr_dp_d_show_all_btm?ie=UTF8&reviewerType=all_reviews

Goodreads reviews...also unanimously positive.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2438792.Harvey_and_Lee

Karl Hilliard writes:

I am not sure that "almost no one believes" [the project]

There must be many thousands of people around the world with a serious interest in, and a detailed knowledge of, the JFK assassination. I see no evidence that more than a tiny proportion of them take seriously the far-fetched double-doppelganger nonsense, despite its having being promoted for over 20 years. As Bernie Laverick pointed out:

You do know that more people believe that the Queen of England is a lizard than believe in H&L? In fact, I'd go further, more people would probably rather accept that she was one of the shooters than accept this relentless trolling disguised as a risible theory.

We can be sure that Armstrong and White's long-term double-doppelganger scheme didn't happen, because every one of its claims that has been examined in detail has been shown to have a plausible alternative explanation. For example, Oswald did not have a 13-inch head, and no mysterious doppelganger Oswald was arrested in the Texas Theater.

We know that the double-doppelganger scheme could never have happened, because the theory is incoherent. A crucial element of the theory is missing. According to the theory:

• In the late 1940s or early 1950s, some people in the CIA decided that, at some point in the future, they would send a false defector to the Soviet Union.
  • They decided that this defector needed to be able to understand spoken Russian, and needed to have a convincing American background, ideally as a serviceman.

If anyone in the CIA had actually wanted to do this, they would have had an obvious and straightforward way to achieve their goal. All they needed to do was:

1. look at the millions of US servicemen who possessed a genuine American background,
  2. find one who had an aptitude for languages,
  3. and get him up to speed in Russian.

But according to Armstrong and White's theory, the CIA masterminds didn't do this. Instead, they decided to set up a ridiculously complicated scheme, lasting a decade or more, involving at least one fake Oswald and at least one fake Marguerite.

The theory was incoherent: it required the defector to have a plausible American background, yet also required the defector to have a fake American background. It required the setting-up of a complex, long-term scheme when a far more obvious and straightforward solution would have been available. The double-doppelganger scheme could never have happened.

Why would those supposed CIA masterminds not have gone for the obvious and straightforward solution? Armstrong and White, as far as I'm aware, never explained why. 

As we have seen on this thread and others, none of the theory's few remaining proponents have been able to fill in this gap in the theory. Indeed, rather than attempt to answer the question, they abandoned this and other threads back in 2020 when the question was raised.

Perhaps someone could ask John Armstrong, who for obvious reasons does not try to defend his theory on public forums, and let us know what the master thinks.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/4/2022 at 4:12 AM, Jeremy Bojczuk said:

We can be sure that Armstrong and White's long-term double-doppelganger scheme didn't happen

We know that the double-doppelganger scheme could never have happened

Jeremy takes a statement from my post out of context and then proceeds to offer his criticism of the H&L theory [as if we were not aware of any] I think its funny how people write presenting all of us in unanimous agreement ...we know this and we know that. I wrote this line in my post above....

While I think that John Armstrong raised some interesting questions...I do have some questions about about his conclusions.

That's all I said. Further---someone who looked like Oswald enough to fool eyewitnesses at a glance shot that policeman that day. Who was it?