The Education Forum

1970 Document

Calvin Ye

James DiEugenio, please come to this post and answer my question on where to get a copy of the Navy Document that stated Ruth Paine was requesting information about Oswald's family on 1957

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

32 minutes ago, Larry Hancock said:

Calvin, I suggest you do another post and put Jim D's name at the front of it to get his attention, he is visiting the forum but he many not notice this..

I just did what you told me to do, Larry

5 minutes ago, Larry Hancock said:

Great,  sometimes is difficult to see something which mentions your name in a quick scan of the threads...I've missed thing before that way.  I'm sure Jim will respond and I will certainly be interested myself.

Larry, do you believe that the Navy document that mentioned Paine requesting information on Oswald's family really existed?

I've seen no evidence or corroboration for it, only talk on forums over the years.  As with other purportedly explosive documents, films, photos etc, its hard to imagine that a copy would not have been shared now if it were real.  Its hard to understand why we would not have seen it?  Apparently this is even more interesting since I gather claims have been made by one or more individuals to have it in their possession - so it would not be considered just another "lost" document. 

Also, I don't seem to see a thread with your asking Jim D about the document?

Edited by Larry Hancock

5 minutes ago, Larry Hancock said:

I've seen no evidence or corroboration for it, only talk on forums over the years.  As with other purportedly explosive documents, films, photos etc, its hard to imagine that a copy would not have been shared now if it were real.  Its hard to understand why we would not have seen it?  Apparently this is even more interesting since I gather claims have been made by one or more individuals to have it in their possession - so it would not be considered just another "lost" document. 

I have a question: why is it that people doubt Rodney Stich's claim about having tapes of the assassination?

I've heard his name in passing but have never seen him within the JFK community nor seen any vetting of his work.  If he has tapes I presume he would have shared copies or transcripts.  At this point in time I have an open mind about a lot of purported evidence but if someone claims to have it in hand and does not make it available then I don't spend much time on it or them...

22 minutes ago, Larry Hancock said:

I've heard his name in passing but have never seen him within the JFK community nor seen any vetting of his work.  If he has tapes I presume he would have shared copies or transcripts.  At this point in time I have an open mind about a lot of purported evidence but if someone claims to have it in hand and does not make it available then I don't spend much time on it or them...

Larry, I misspoken. I meant that people doubt Rodney Stich because he is a member of the AFIO

Ah, well the answer to that is basically that it seems most former intelligence officers who have come out with detailed stories in regard to a purported conspiracy appear to point it in diametrically opposite directions from the agencies....whether it be to other domestic parties or most often towards Cuba and Castro.  It just seems to be a standard pattern...so in general they get viewed as either repeating disinformation.    So I'd say that would be the basic reason, just a history of what would appear to be diversions - which of course has nothing to do with him having a tape...if he does he needs to offer it up and have it evaluated.

41 minutes ago, Larry Hancock said:

Ah, well the answer to that is basically that it seems most former intelligence officers who have come out with detailed stories in regard to a purported conspiracy appear to point it in diametrically opposite directions from the agencies....whether it be to other domestic parties or most often towards Cuba and Castro.  It just seems to be a standard pattern...so in general they get viewed as either repeating disinformation.    So I'd say that would be the basic reason, just a history of what would appear to be diversions - which of course has nothing to do with him having a tape...if he does he needs to offer it up and have it evaluated.

Larry, I accidentally made a mistake of saying Stich having the tapes. The truth is that Trenton Parker claimed to Rodney Stich that there were tapes of the assassination and Parker listened to them and learned and heard the voices of the culprits behind the assassination and have ID'ed them

It still comes out the same Calvin, we have encountered that sort or thing over and over again, references to tapes someone has, photos, documents....its happened so many times most of us old timers just insist on some sort of corroboration to even consider those things.  Sometimes you file it away mentally and wait for something to show up but it really never seems too...

It all adds to the mystery and sensation...and drives people back into old leads and theories...but to answer you question we have seen it so often over fifty plus years that you don't find a lot of enthusiasm for third party stories about sensational evidence that someone has but never shares.

Hi Larry

Your reference to the many tapes, photos or documents that are claimed to exist and yet cannot be produced is a phenomenon that is very familiar to me - I have spent a lot of time and effort in trying to find documents that many people claim to know about, yet nobody (not even the always-helpful staff at NARA) can produce a copy! Glad to hear I'm not the only one who has spent too much time spinning my wheels!

Chris

Chris, I think perhaps the most frustrating have been those materials that ostensibly responsible people have written about seeing that never make it into public view.  I won't go through the list but it includes history professors who write, then talk about putting their documents or tapes into university archives and then that never happens.  Having gone though a good bit of trouble putting my own special collections out on CD (the Chrisman/Beckham documents being one example) with Lancer's help I find that annoying to say the least.

Equally frustrating are documents that  you know must have existed within the official files, like the DRE files Morley has chased, which we can't get...and the "soft files" that show up in lists but then disappeared because they were never sent outside field offices.

Of course we have absolute proof that documents and records were sanitized through destruction or alteration so not finding some things is no shock....but I'm "over" claims of tapes and photos that people claim to have in their possession but retain without release, just no time for those sorts of mysteries anymore.

I contacted Jim about the document and his reply is below.

"The document is for real. But it turns out that either the FBi agent was wrong or the source was wrong. THey checked it out for the PBS special in 1993, and the guy denied he said it."

4 hours ago, John Kowalski said:

I contacted Jim about the document and his reply is below.

"The document is for real. But it turns out that either the FBi agent was wrong or the source was wrong. THey checked it out for the PBS special in 1993, and the guy denied he said it."

John, can you ask Jim to post the document on this thread or this forum?