The Education Forum

Offering new findings on Wed., August 4-7 pm PDT at Project JFK, on a live zoom...and a question: Is this man Ruby?

On 8/3/2021 at 8:49 PM, Bill Simpich said:

There are new documents that no one I know has looked at yet - released in 2013 by the City of Dallas - the 800 page investigation of the "operational security" of the LHO transfer.  For the first time that I know of, we have possession of the actual 100-plus exhibits and the investigative report in one place.

I call it the Warren Report of the Dallas police.

Bill,

This link to Dallas Police Box 14 on the Mary Ferrell Database (MFD) leads to image views that, for me at least, only include the left portion of each of the 20 or so pages I looked at.  Sliding “page scale” to the minimum value helps some but doesn’t fix the problem.  Clicking “printable page” does fix the issue, but only one page at a time, which is a slow process.  I’m using Chrome browser on a Linux computer, but I think others will see the same issue.

If memory serves, Steve Thomas has discussed here a number of the issues raised by the DPD archives, and a few of the pages you link have been up on HarveyandLee.net for some time.  Since MFD is a much better known site than the DPD archives, perhaps you could look into fixing this issue, assuming others are seeing the same thing I am.

With Westbrook in charge of putting this all together, your description of it as "the Warren Report of the Dallas police" sounds pretty darned accurate.

Jim - Good call. I agree.  I will raise it with Rex.  He can fix anything.

Tony Krome - that display of Ruby on Friday and Sunday with the blacked-out portion of his face - you have basically convinced me it's the same guy.  I used it last night in my presentation and credited you - it made a big impression.

Ron - I think what Tony displayed shows the power of the glare from the flashbulbs going off when Oswald and company entered the basement.  That's why Ruby's face is distorted, the sideburn is distorted, etc.

Thanks to you all, and John Armstrong as well.

Bill

On 8/2/2021 at 11:59 PM, Tony Krome said:

The picture below is one I created a while back. Seems to show different sideburns. The one on the right is Friday night at the DPD with Basement Ruby's hat and strange eye shadow superimposed.

ruby-compare-hat.png

Interesting that we see the same deep neck folds on the left profile of the man in these two pix, but they don't show in any of the mug shots of Ruby.  Interesting but inconclusive.

On 8/5/2021 at 10:50 AM, Jim Hargrove said:

Bill,

With Westbrook in charge of putting this all together, your description of it as "the Warren Report of the Dallas police" sounds pretty darned accurate.

Jim,

See my response to Bill in the thread on the Dallas Police that I wrote on Wednesday the 3th here:

https://educationforum.ipbhost.com/topic/27296-were-dallas-police-officers-involved-in-the-murder-of-president-kennedy/page/2/#comments

Captain O.A. Jones was in charge of the Investigative team. Their original charge was to find out how Ruby got into the basement. I find it curious that Curry put Captains in charge of the investigation, and not Deputy Chiefs. I think Curry was suspicious that Ruby had help.

I should add that the second paragraph of Carr's letter to Rankin (see p. 2 of CD81) https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.html?docId=10483#relPageId

Comprises CD 81.1

image.png.aa700dcd9d4e3a2cb5ef30ebd4106696.png

I need to look at Section 5 (Persons assigned to handle security for President's visit. (If I remember right, Gannaway of the Special Service Bureau was in charge of security at the Trade Mart, and he (Gannaway) delegated security along the parade route to Lieutenant Kaminsky, also of Special Services). One of the charges of Red Squads (or Special Service Bureaus) around the country was providing security for visiting dignitaries.

Steve Thomas

Edited by Steve Thomas

Steve - I’ve been in touch with the 6th floor museum curator. I asked why I couldn’t find the Crichton file. Interestingly it turn out the name was misspelled. I am assured that the museum still has the oral history. 

20 minutes ago, Paul Brancato said:

Steve - I’ve been in touch with the 6th floor museum curator. I asked why I couldn’t find the Crichton file. Interestingly it turn out the name was misspelled. I am assured that the museum still has the oral history. 

Paul,

Cool.

Any hint that they will put it up online?

Steve

It has to be ordered - it’s not a transcript. I’m going to fill out the necessary paperwork and see what happens 

On 8/5/2021 at 10:50 AM, Jim Hargrove said:

Bill,

If memory serves, Steve Thomas has discussed here a number of the issues raised by the DPD archives, and a few of the pages you link have been up on HarveyandLee.net for some time.  Since MFD is a much better known site than the DPD archives, perhaps you could look into fixing this issue, assuming others are seeing the same thing I am.

Jim,

At some point in the recent past, the Dallas Police Department’s John F. Kennedy Collection (the DPD Archives) was turned over to the The Portal to Texas History The Portal describes itself this way:

About the Portal

“The Portal to Texas History is a gateway to rare, historical, and primary source materials from or about Texas. Created and maintained by the University of North Texas Libraries, the Portal leverages the power of hundreds of content partners across the state to provide a vibrant, growing collection of resources.”

One of their collections is the John F. Kennedy Memorial Collection

https://texashistory.unt.edu/explore/collections/JFKAM/browse/?start=0

You can also click on their link to the Police Department Collection previously maintained by the Dallas Municipal Archives:

https://texashistory.unt.edu/explore/collections/JFKAM/browse/?fq=untl_collection%3AJFKDP

The Collection is not organized the same way as the preceding DPD Archives maintained by the City of Dallas.

I‘m assuming that much of the duplication found in the City of Dallas collection has been eliminated.

The search engine seems to work pretty well, but you lose the browsing feature that I used to find so useful.

If you now click on a DPD Archives link (with a Box# and a Folder#, etc.), you just get a 404 Error.

For me personally, that means a lot of years of lost bibliographic citations.

Steve Thomas