The Education Forum

Why Tim Weiner Never Called Me

On Twitter, my reply to Weiner has almost 7,000 impressions already.

I wonder if Tim will see that and be stupid enough to respond.

Edited by James DiEugenio

19 hours ago, Ron Bulman said:

No, never any formal study of the subject.  Read a few biographies/autobiographies and articles over the years.  Hank Williams, Keith Richards, Merle Haggard a few more.  Rolling Stone articles and more.

here's a story of all stories, Ron....  re Rock-N-Roll. The birth of the San Francisco 60's sound a 1.5 hour documentary re The Charlatans and the Red Dog Salon... covers the birth of The Grateful Dead, Big Brother and the Holding Co. & Janis Joplin, the Jefferson Airplane, Quicksilver Messenger Service and on and on and on even Bill Graham.... well worth the time if you had any contact or familiar with the Psychedelic Rock Music scene of San Francisco during the 60's...

On 12/21/2021 at 11:12 PM, David G. Healy said:

For your added enjoyment, the official US paper for southeast asis area I read this very issue standing in the lobby of the Plaza Hotel on Tra Hung Dao in Saigon the morning of the issue. and....  I was not being replaced when my tour was completed in Feb '64. Appeared I was part of the first 1000...

Pacific Stars and Stripes 10-04-63.jpg

Mr. Healy,

Thanks so much for this!  (Sorry for getting here a little late.) This headline is far more important to me than debunking any BS Tim Weiner was paid to spread.  Just to check.... The headline is from the official "Stars and Stripes" newspaper we often hear about, right?

You appear to have been a part of history, now hidden!  Thanks again!

6 hours ago, David G. Healy said:

here's a story of all stories, Ron....  re Rock-N-Roll. The birth of the San Francisco 60's sound a 1.5 hour documentary re The Charlatans and the Red Dog Salon... covers the birth of The Grateful Dead, Big Brother and the Holding Co. & Janis Joplin, the Jefferson Airplane, Quicksilver Messenger Service and on and on and on even Bill Graham.... well worth the time if you had any contact or familiar with the Psychedelic Rock Music scene of San Francisco during the 60's...

Thanks Dave.  Only 7 minutes in.  Fascinating.  Saw JA as Starship in the early 70s.  Couple of their albums, couple of Joplin's, been to Threadgill's in Austin before the pending demolition this year, where she honed her chops before SF.  Slowly reading Sticky Fingers, The Story of Jann Wenner and Rolling Stone, started in SF summer of love 67.  Read Electric Koolaid Acid Test (Ken Kesey) as college freshman.  Any consideration of Haight Ashbury at that time should include Jolly West and Charles  Manson.  Also read Hunter S Thompsons Hells Angels (65) last summer, background for all that and Altamont.  It was a unique time and place.

Thanks again to you and Oliver Stone for your service in a terrible totally unnecssary war JFK would not have pursued.     

2 hours ago, Jim Hargrove said:

Mr. Healy,

Thanks so much for this!  (Sorry for getting here a little late.) This headline is far more important to me than debunking any BS Tim Weiner was paid to spread.  Just to check.... The headline is from the official "Stars and Stripes" newspaper we often hear about, right?

You appear to have been a part of history, now hidden!  Thanks again!

Hi Jim, Yes, Pacific STARS and STRIPES Asian Edition. Not sure of the exact location of where its published in Asia Copies of the daily paper were in every American MAAG-Vietnam BEQ/BOQ's in South Vietnam (most run by the US Navy) in 1963/64 that I'm aware of.

Edited by David G. Healy

Wow.  What a great thread, and thanks to David Healey for the personal Vietnam history and newspaper.

I spent some time a year or two ago studying Peter Dale Scott's analysis of the policy differences between JFK's NSAM 263 and LBJ's NSAM 273 of 11/25/63.  If I recall correctly, the essential difference between the two NSAMs is that the Bundy/LBJ NSAM273 called for doing whatever was necessary to defeat communism in Vietnam-- whereas JFK had resolved that it was, ultimately, up to the South Vietnamese government to win or lose the war.

As for the Grateful Dead and the Electric Kool Aid Acid Test, this interview of Jerry Garcia is fascinating to me, not only as an old Garcia fan, but as a psychiatrist interested in  the potential therapeutic uses of psychedelic drugs.  The most interesting part, IMO, is about the earliest days of the Grateful Dead members attending Ken Kesey's Electric Kool Aid Acid parties.   Garcia describes feeling enlightened about "endless creative possibilities." 

Highly recommended.