The Education Forum

Washington Post article on Oliver Stone and "JFK"

Matt Allison

4 hours ago, James DiEugenio said:

Another example, one of the main reasons I think the film was so vehemently attacked was because it said there would have been no Vietnam War if Kennedy had lived.

You are absolutely correct. They attack the film because of the statement about the war. Because they and every person with common sense knows that it is impossible to say what would have happened. You can make the case that there would have been no war. But you can't know that with certainty any more than you can predict what the stock market will do or what lottery numbers will come in. So when you make such a blanket statement, it turns people off and they stop listening to you argument. And then it turns into a self-defeating exercise.

1 hour ago, W. Tracy Parnell said:

You are absolutely correct. They attack the film because of the statement about the war. Because they and every person with common sense knows that it is impossible to say what would have happened. You can make the case that there would have been no war. But you can't know that with certainty any more than you can predict what the stock market will do or what lottery numbers will come in. So when you make such a blanket statement, it turns people off and they stop listening to you argument. And then it turns into a self-defeating exercise.

The film is attacked because it tells the Truth based on Facts.  Because the attackers, including you, as Jack Nicholson said, "You can't handle the Truth".  That and most of them depend on the 1% for their livelihood. 

You know... one really good thing about JFK Revisited has to do with it being distributed around the world. Outside the United States it is rightfully being accepted as fact, because non-Americans aren't greatly influenced by CIA disinformation and thus are much more likely to form an informed opinion on the topic.

As time goes by, the opinions of historians and other knowledgeable people around the world will be that a CIA-conducted coup took place in America in 1963. And that the CIA and US government has been hiding that fact from its populace for decades.  They will forever point shame at the CIA and US government for conducting this travesty.

On 12/23/2021 at 12:02 PM, James DiEugenio said:

The idea that Oliver's JFK film is counterfactual is simply not accurate.

I did a scene by scene analysis of the first  hour of the film in my book The JFK Assassination: The Evidence Today, if anything that hour is understated in light of the new documents.

Another example, one of the main reasons I think the film was so vehemently attacked was because it said there would have been no Vietnam War if Kennedy had lived.

Everything in the film on that issue is correct and the declassified record, and later authors, have taken that issue even farther than the film  did.

As per the idea about a CIA/JCS plot, that is what John Newman is writing about as his working thesis in his six part series.

And when people see  JFK Revisited: Destiny Betrayed, which already played in Australia and Italy, you will see some very interesting information from Doug Horne on Curtis LeMay and Newman from Tennent Bagley.

After reading the article I can see why she did not contact me.

Correct.  No escalation if JFK had not been assassinated. Changing the subject: James Webb telescope just launched.  DSL

On 12/22/2021 at 9:12 PM, Matt Allison said:

I go back and forth on rankings, but the case remains for "JFK" being the greatest movie ever made. I could probably write a long thing on why, but let's just think about the fact that 30 years later an article like this shows up in the Post. Think about what that means. 

Agreed, not to mention that it's the basis of the game "The Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon." Everybody who was anybody was in the movie and it's why everyone can be so easily linked to Bacon.