The Education Forum

More on the Minox light meter mistakenly identified as a camera

Here is a photo from the Dallas Police Department archives of the Minox light meter that the FBI said it received from the DPD instead of the camera on the inventory list. (The photo find thanks to Jean Paul Ceulemans.) It looks like the same light meter in the DPD evidence photo taken before the items were sent to the FBI. I bet Rose's and Stovall's initials were on this item, and this was what Rose remembered marking.

1348290514_375version2.thumb.jpg.d8af5316500c9ba5aef5890abcc63dd8.jpg

Another DPD archives photo that Jean Paul sent me I am unable to post here because I get the over the kb limit error message. It is a photograph of two metal canisters on hinges open, one with a Minox roll of film in it. Another DPD photo shows the Minox film rolls loose outside the metal canisters. I bet Gus Rose's memory fifteen years later to HSCA of taking film "out of the camera" was a confusion of remembering taking film out of those canisters. It wasn't something Rose probably thought much about at the time when processing all that evidence, but then he has to after the fact reconstruct his memory defending himself and the DPD from making the mistake charged by the "disliked" FBI (disliked by DPD).  

Edited by Greg Doudna

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 5/13/2022 at 9:47 AM, Sean Coleman said:

One of the elements in Minoxgate is Guy Rose.Is he right or wrong? He’s one or the other…..

If he’s right, he handled a Minox, opened it, saw (removed and re-inserted?) it’s film, and closed it. Maybe fondled and coveted it, it was an expensive item and no doubt a quality piece of kit. I know I’d like to see one close up. Then Fritz (booo,hisss) lets him to stick to his guns which is strange - he’s telling him he doesn’t have  to toe the Feebie line? This IS the complicit 1960’s DPD we’re talking about. 

If Guy Rose is wrong, then he imagined or mis-remembered the whole episode - in which case he needs a check up from the neck up - or he’s telling porkies. But to what end? Attention? Fame? To be inserted into history? 

Mucho puzzlemento 

79C004BE-D229-4349-A2BA-A19045736E56.thumb.jpeg.d36dd6f4e9c4fab555f10ffd1bd5d538.jpeg53D38E71-DD86-4406-A53F-4766F4ACC7A0.jpeg.23519c13dfc6369350f8ba9633ae0420.jpeg

This is simply another example of not accepting what a witness says because you don't want it that way.  Why should Detective Rose need a check up from "the neck up".  Are you saying the man was mentally incompetent because he didn't agree to go along with the FBI's corrupt scheme to change the evidence?

I suppose Rose and Stovall imagined seeing a roll of film in the "light meter". 

1 hour ago, John Butler said:

I don't think Stovall ever claimed what Rose claimed on that, even though Stovall was as much part of the Minox camera equipment finds as Rose. And Rose's claim of what you cite is first known fifteen years after the fact, and it is well known witnesses are fallible. In this case there is no need to remain endlessly in what-if conjectures since contemporary police photos tell the exact truth clearly that the object DPD sent to FBI indeed was a light meter.

3 hours ago, John Butler said:

This is simply another example of not accepting what a witness says because you don't want it that way.  Why should Detective Rose need a check up from "the neck up".  Are you saying the man was mentally incompetent because he didn't agree to go along with the FBI's corrupt scheme to change the evidence?

Was trying to imply, using humorous terminology, that to imagine such an (eventful) event would lead one to believe said person’s subconscious reasoning may be called into doubt. 

7 hours ago, Sean Coleman said:

Was trying to imply, using humorous terminology, that to imagine such an (eventful) event would lead one to believe said person’s subconscious reasoning may be called into doubt. 

Sorry Sean,

I wasn't writing about you, but others.  Sorry.

1348290514_375version2.thumb.jpg.d8af5316500c9ba5aef5890abcc63dd8.jpg

One has to assume that a policeman who reaches the rank of detective must have a fair or good degree of intelligence.  Anyone can see that a light meter is a light meter as shown in this photo and is not a camera.  The policemen handled the camera and saw there was film in it.  As I said earlier, it is impossible to put film in a light meter.