The Education Forum

WFAA-TV Cameraman Tom Alyea describes scene at TSBD shortly after assassination

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Excerpt from an article in The Daily Mail :

"In 1979 the House Select Committee on Assassinations set up a panel to investigate whether the picture in the image was the same rifle that was used in the shooting.  The committee was told that it was indeed the same rifle as a scratch on it which became known as 'Mark S' was visible in the backyard picture and on the rifle itself.  The problem was that the photograph of the scratch presented to the committee was so small it was impossible to be sure.

De Mey resolved this by obtaining the original photograph, which is larger and of far higher quality, from an auction of the estate of Sergeant Cecil Kirk of the Mobile Crime Laboratory of the Metropolitan Police of Washington DC."

Pictures are shown in the article :

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3662487/Lee-Harvey-Oswald-INNOCENT-gun-used-assassinate-JFK-author-new-study-claims.html

Excuse this lame question but in the first Alyea clip showing a plain clothes officer near a window and carrying a rifle in his hand ...is that the Carcano Lt. Day is shown handling in the later clip?

I guess the window facing officer is holding that rifle in a way that he is pressing the strap close up against the stock? I stopped the footage to get a still shot but it was still kind of hard to make out the rifle he was holding versus the Carcano Lt. Day is shown handling later.

1 hour ago, Joe Bauer said:

Excuse this lame question but in the first Alyea clip showing a plain clothes officer near a window and carrying a rifle in his hand ...is that the Carcano Lt. Day is shown handling in the later clip?

No, it is not.

Edited by David Von Pein

Just now, David Von Pein said:

No, it is not.

I thought all the plainclothes officers only carried handguns.

Uniformed officers were carrying shotguns.

9 hours ago, Denis Morissette said:

Roger Craig said the police took photos of the Mauser. Where are those photos?

Denis,

If there was a Mauser; and,

If the police took pictures of it; and,

If those pictures are missing; then,

They probably went to the same place as the list of Texas Theater patrons and the list of the license plates of cars parked behind the grassy knoll.

Steve Thomas

I was watching the Alyea film on YouTube, I think from DVP's channel.  As I was watching it I saw something I had not seen before.  At approximately 8:28 into the film, as they are examining/showing the rifle, something (a long bag?) falls from the boxes on the right of the screen to the floor.  It is very quick, but looks like the long paper bag in evidence later.  If others could look at this and offer their opinions, I would appreciate it.  I have seen things in some of the other old grainy films that turned out to be misperceptions.  Link below.

3 hours ago, Steve Thomas said:

Denis,

If there was a Mauser; and,

If the police took pictures of it; and,

If those pictures are missing; then,

They probably went to the same place as the list of Texas Theater patrons and the list of the license plates of cars parked behind the grassy knoll.

Steve Thomas

Some lists that officers made and kept in their pockets VS photo negatives… Have CTers inquired with the DPD, NARA, 6FM if they there is an inventory of these photos. Are the images on the negatives numbered? I know that no Mauser was photographed, so I didn’t waste my time inquiring about them. But I had believed Craig, I would have been on the hot trail of that photo.

Are you claiming that Day was lying when he said that only one rifle was photographed?