The Education Forum

EF Fundraising Drive for 2023!

15 minutes ago, Sandy Larsen said:

Thanks Ben!

I have an important question for you.

When you were going through PayPal's steps for making your donation, it probably asked you the following:

Choose a payment type:

• For goods and services
  • For friends and family

Do you remember which one you chose?

Sandy, are pay pal donations showing up on the donation page listing/total?  The reason I ask is there are no anonymous donations since Ben's post about no pay pal on 10/6 and his name is not listed among those who have donated using their name.

4 minutes ago, Ron Bulman said:

Sandy, are pay pal donations showing up on the donation page listing/total?  The reason I ask is there are no anonymous donations since Ben's post about no pay pal on 10/6 and his name is not listed among those who have donated using their name.

Ron,

If you use GoFundMe to donate, then your donation will be tracked on the GoFundMe page, and that is true for debit cards, credit cards, and PayPal.

However, PayPal isn't an available option on the GoFundMe page in many countries. For those people, they can donate directly from their PayPal account without using GoFundMe at all. The downside to this is that the donation isn't tracked by GoFundMe. (BTW, I discourage Americans from using PayPal outside of GoFundMe because those funds would be  reported to the IRS as income to me.)

I think I know a way to have GoFundMe track international PayPal donations like the one from Ben. But I need to test it before making it official.

5 hours ago, Sandy Larsen said:

Thanks Ben!

I have an important question for you.

When you were going through PayPal's steps for making your donation, it probably asked you the following:

Choose a payment type:

• For goods and services
  • For friends and family

Do you remember which one you chose?

goods and services

Over a hump, not the humps.  $835 from 23 donors.  Over half-way to the greater goal of $1500 to insure against unexpected expenses (e.g. possible bandwidth needs given growth with new members), or as a cushion at this time next year.  Over 2/3 of the way to the basic goal of $1200 to fund the site for the next year as is.  Thanks to all who have donated thus far.  $300 of it from 3 anonymous donors put us over these humps.  The smaller donations, like mine, are important as well in getting us to this point.  But we've a way to go.  And a lot of active members who've not yet contributed but hopefully several more will.  Along with maybe a few of the many casual observers who drop in.

I have now made the donation system keep track of international PayPal donations, which it didn't before. However, there will be a delay before these donations appear on the GoFundMe page.

In Ben's case the delay will be several days because he selected "goods and services" in PayPal as the type of payment. PayPal puts a long hold on those types of payments, but only when the recipient's PayPal account is new. Which ours is.

Thanks for all your efforts in this Sandy.

Hopefully everyone else is appreciative and will help push us past the goal line.

Edited by James DiEugenio

On 10/13/2022 at 3:26 PM, Sandy Larsen said:

bump!

The donation balance is now $870. If we include International PayPal donations (which are on hold till Oct. 28), the balance is $920!

We need only $580 more to reach our goal. Please donate!

I just added $100usd via PayPal 

Edited by Matthew Koch

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/19/2022 at 6:51 AM, Sandy Larsen said:

bump!

Once our International PayPal donations are taken off hold, we will have a total balance of $1250. So we need only $250 more to meet our goal!

Thank you everybody for your generous donations.

Bump.