The Education Forum

Biden Administration Considers Release of Secret JFK Assassination Files

Greg Wagner

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politics-news/biden-administration-releases-over-1-000-secret-jfk-assassination-files-n1286059

The Biden administration on Wednesday released over 1,000 previously classified documents relating to the 1963 assassination of President John F. Kennedy.

The 1,491 documents include filings from the CIA, FBI, State Department and other federal agencies. Among them is a report that Kennedy assassin Lee Harvey Oswald visited the Cuban and USSR embassies in Mexico in search of a visa in the months before Kennedy's killing. According to a CIA document, another version of which was previously released, one of the people Oswald spoke to was the Soviet embassy's consul, who had ties to the KGB's "assassination department." The documents say they spoke about Oswald's efforts to get a visa to go to the Soviet Union.

Some of the tips investigators chased did not ultimately pan out.

Among the leads disclosed in the filings was a report that the Australians had received a tip in 1962 from a man who claimed he was a driver for Soviet diplomats that there was a plot to kill Kennedy. Officials tried to confirm parts of the man's story and concluded he was a crank. The filings show the U.S. wanted to divulge information about the tip decades ago but was asked not to by the Australian government.

The documents were originally scheduled to be released earlier this year, but President Joe Biden issued an extension for the National Archives to produce the documents in October after the archivist said their work had been slowed by the pandemic.

Under a 1992 law inspired by the Oliver Stone movie "JFK," the National Archives was supposed to have released all of the remaining classified records by October 2017.

The National Archives released a large tranche of documents that month but held back others at the request of then-President Donald Trump. In a memo, Trump said that "executive departments and agencies have proposed to me that certain information should continue to be redacted because of national security, law enforcement, and foreign affairs concerns."

The release Wednesday was the largest number of documents to be declassified since then, and the final set of documents is expected to be released by Dec. 15 of next year. In his October order, Biden said all the information should be released "unless the redaction is necessary to protect against an identifiable harm to the military defense, intelligence operations, law enforcement, or the conduct of foreign relations that is of such gravity that it outweighs the public interest in disclosure."

Edited by Greg Wagner

4 hours ago, Matt Allison said:

This is from 2021.

Hey Matt. My original title for this thread was misleading. My bad. I changed it.

My understanding is the issue came up last year (2021) but the records in question were not released. Instead, Biden kicked the can to December 15, 2022. With that deadline less than two months away, coupled with the MFF lawsuit, perhaps further progress can be achieved regarding these documents.

Edited by Greg Wagner

• Greg Wagner changed the title to Biden Administration Considers Release of Secret JFK Assassination Files

I just heard msnbc's "The Morning Joe" do a brief coverage of the MFF/Simpich lawsuit, sympathetic and favorable. Joe (and this is paraphrase from my few-minutes-ago memory, not a transcript): "I remember Oswald saying 'I'm a patsy' ... and I'm not a conspiracy theorist but then Ruby kills Oswald ... I mean, come on ... I always tell my kids, when things don't add up ... well this doesn't add up". The gist of the coverage was raising the question of its been sixty years now, what is it that is being hidden in not complying with Congress's intention that everything be released by 2017.

We hope that the legal action will force compliance in all areas of the JFK legislation...which actually involve a lot of things beyond just document releases.  The timing was important since indeed the can was kicked down the road last time and this December is a critical time for things to actually happen.

12 minutes ago, Greg Doudna said:

I just heard msnbc's "The Morning Joe" do a brief coverage of the MFF/Simpich lawsuit, sympathetic and favorable. Joe (and this is paraphrase from my few-minutes-ago memory, not a transcript): "I remember Oswald saying 'I'm a patsy' ... and I'm not a conspiracy theorist but then Ruby kills Oswald ... I mean, come on ... I always tell my kids, when things don't add up ... well this doesn't add up". The gist of the coverage was raising the question of its been sixty years now, what is it that is being hidden in not complying with Congress's intention that everything be released by 2017.

Hey Greg. Yes, I saw it too. They did about 5 minutes on it and I thought was a decent synopsis for an MSM outlet. The show has a podcast if anyone wants to listen to it. The piece begins at about 34 minutes in.