The Education Forum

Southwestern Publishing Doors Locked, Someone Inside. With View of Elm Street.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Ron Bulman said:

Bullshit.

You might have misunderstood my jestful remark. 

Like a blind dog in a meathouse, those in the JFKA research community (that includes me!) have a lot of leads...but we can't see where they came from, they are opaque. 

Claude Capehart for one. The CIA has blocked our vision. 

6 hours ago, Greg Doudna said:

One article which may have escaped notice in those other discussions is this recent one from the Santa Barbara News-Press, Oct 10, 2021, not on the Mary Ferrell site, written by David Minier, former Santa Barbara district attorney 1967-1975: https://aarclibrary.org/the-capehart-case-what-is-the-cia-hiding/. Minier tells of his contact with and information from Capehart's girlfriend (who is named in the article unlike all Capehart articles on the Mary Ferrell site):

"He [Capehart] told her he had worked as a 'hit man' for the CIA on numerous occasions, retiring in 1975. He told Ms. Weaver he was present with Lee Harvey Oswald at the scene of the J.F.K. assassination. He said two others were with Oswald, and it was not Oswald who shot the president." 

And this is a CIA document on Claude Capehart dated Nov 20, 1963, the date Caster's rifles went into the TSBD: https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.html?docId=14179#relPageId=1.

In the 2021 Santa Barbara News-Press article, former district attorney Minier tells how in 1988 he and a district attorney investigator finally located Capehart (who had vanished in 1978), found him living in Parumph, Nevada. Capehart then suffered a suspicious death.

"Mr. Poole and I planned to confront Mr. Capehart at home in an attempt to find out his true relation with the CIA. We arranged for a Nye County sheriff's sergeant to accompany us and agreed upon a date in two weeks. A few days later, Mr. Capehart was found in his front yard, dead of an apparent heart attack."

Capehart was either 63 or 64 years old at the time of his death. Minier filed a FOIA request to the CIA.

"Seeking answers, I filed a request with the CIA in 1992 under the Freedom of Information Act. I asked if Mr. Capehart had ever been employed by that agency in any capacity. The CIA refused to confirm or deny, because that information "would reasonably be expected to cause damage to national security." I then sued the CIA in federal court for the information. The CIA claimed national security. The court ruled for the C.I.A., and I appealed. In 1994, an appeals court ruled the CIA was exempt from the Freedom of Information Act's disclosure provisions. (...)

Minier's article claims CIA documents have come to light other than the one linked above:

"Only four days after President Kennedy's assassination in 1963, the CIA requested a 'name check' on Capehart from other federal agencies. ... a 1973 CIA 'letter of assignment and investigative transmittal' designates Capehart as 'covert,' instead of 'field'. The CIA's secret documents about Mr. Capehart end in 1975, the same year he told Sgt. Fore and Kay Weaver he retired from the agency."

The CIA document on Capehart linked above and on the Mary Ferrell site, shows no reason why that document existed, its purpose, who requested it or who generated it. Its just CIA, Capehart, and the date Nov 20, 1963, in association on an authentic CIA document.

Thank you, I had never heard of Capehart before.

Arrived KWCEILING :  9 October 1963  (from 104-10110-10389)

So between oct. 9 - nov. 20, 1963 

Could be it was just a company constructing buildins for the CIA (withing possibly a KWCEILING project, whatever that is...)

Edited by Jean Paul Ceulemans

On 11/2/2022 at 11:53 AM, Michael Davidson said:

B0B733BF-F4D9-4BD0-8A55-7ECB0EE4ADB7.jpeg.965c078bb1897281686fd0792c0a9522.jpegmodern photo but lots of trees at that height it would appear 

Trees grow.

Geneva Hines, who had worked in the TSBD for years, explicitly said the Southwestern Publishing offices had a view to Elm Street and down to the Third Street Overpass. 

In re-reading Hine's WC testimony, she almost seems to be telling the WC that something funny was going on in that office...and I deduce she did not know the name of Carol Hughes, who was purportedly in the office at the time of the JFKA. Behind a locked door that she would not open. 

Odd. Back then it was common courtesy (especially in Texas-South) to be friendly with people in your orbit, conversational. 

So who was Carol Hughes? 

The Carol Hughes-Southwestern Publishing story just get better and better. 

Many JFKA researchers know that Warren Caster, asst. manager at Southwestern Publishing, brought two rifles into the TSBD on Nov. 20, during the lunch hour, and then into his offices. 

One of the rifles was a "sporterized 30-06 Mauser." Sporterized Mausers almost always have scopes on them.  

Upon entering the TSBD on Nov. 20, Caster showed the rifles to Roy Truly, and a couple other guys. The rifle were in cartons, but they were removed from the cartons. 

Then...

Mr. BALL. What did you do with the guns after that?

Mr. CASTER. I put them back in the cartons and carried them up to my office.

Mr. BALL. And what did you do with them after that?

Mr. CASTER. I left at the end of the working day, oh, around 4 o’clock and took the guns in the cartons and carried them and put them in my car and carried them home.

Mr. BALL. Did you ever have them back in the Texas School Book Depository Building thereafter?

Mr. CASTER. They have never been back to the Texas School Book Depository Building since then.

Mr. BALL. Where were those guns on November 22, 1963?

Mr. CASTER. The guns were in my home, 3338 Merrell Road.

Mr. BALL. I think that’s all. This will be written up and you will be asked to come in and it will be submitted to you for signature and you can correct it if you wish.

Mr. CASTER. That’s all right.

Mr. BALL. Any corrections you make, make them in pen and ink and initial it and sign it. I want to thank you very much for giving this testimony.

Mr. CASTER. I thank you very much.

---30---

In other words, Caster took two cardboard cartons of rifles home that night, but obviously, no one checked if both cartons had rifles in them. 

OK, to sum up

1. On Nov. 22 Southwestern Publishing office worker Carol Hughes said she sat in her second-floor office as JFK went by, and she had a bird's eye view of the motorcade. Hughes says she witnessed the assassination. 

2. Three shots as loud as a "cannon" are heard inside the TSBD on the second floor by Geneva Hine, a regular second-floor veteran worker of the TSBD. 

BALL. Did you know they were shots at the time?

Miss HINE. Yes, sir; they sounded almost like cannon shots they were so terrific. 

Louder than other people say the shots were on other floors, possibly indicating proximity. 

3 Hine told the WC she wanted to gain access to the Southwestern Publishing Co "because those windows face out" onto Elm and "on to the triple underpass."

4. An unidentified woman, probably Hughes, is seen in the Southwestern Publisher's office in the immediate aftermath of the JFKA after the TSBD by Hine, but Hughes refuses to open the locked door.  Hughes is seen through a curtain, her outline. She is heard by Hine talking, and thought to be talking on the talking on the phone. There may be others in the office unseen, of course. Yes--this is the same office into which two cartons of rifles arrived on Nov. 20. 

5. In the immediate aftermath of the JFKA, Hine calls to Hughes several times and "shakes" her office door (assumably by the doorknob), which Hine testified was locked. But Hughes did not respond

OK, so presumably Hughes hears three loud "cannon" shots, witnesses an assassination and almost immediately hears the voice of Geneva Hine imploring her to open the door...but Hughes does not. 

4. The woman in the publisher's office, likely Hughes as no strangers are seen that day inside the TBSD, then leaves the premises one hour after the JFKA, and is not searched.  Could she have shells, or a dis-assembled rifle under a fall-weather coat? Who knows? 

5. Hughes' office is never searched, let alone dusted for prints. Hughes is never tested for gunshot residue, ala LHO. It may even be possible a credenza or other furniture with a false bottom was inside the publisher's office. Though unlikely, another person could have been in the Hughes office. Since the publishers' offices were not searched, perhaps if there were another person in the office he put on a suit and left the building later in the hub-bub, assuming the role of a Secret Service or police official. 

6. Curiously Hine apparently does not know Carol Hughes by name, despite knowing other publishers offices workers by name on the second floor. Was Hughes a recent hire? 

7. Whatever happened to Hughes? Where did she work before? 

To be sure, nothing dispositive here. 

But...based on same-day evidence, Hughes should have been detained or arrested before LHO.  

The DPD wanted to arrest LHO even before they found the rifle. 

Hughes was acting suspiciously within moments of the JFKA. 

Odd stories....

Edited by Benjamin Cole

Hicks worked in the same room/office nr. 203 as Hughes, Hicks was outside but went in her office shortly after the shooting (and out again, etc).

Edited by Jean Paul Ceulemans

2 hours ago, Benjamin Cole said:

Hughes' office is never searched...

That's probably not true, Ben. I just noticed THIS FBI INTERVIEW with TSBD employee Otis Williams. In that March 1964 interview, Williams said this:

"After returning inside the TSBD Building just after hearing the three shots on November 22, 1963, I assisted a police detective in making a search of the second floor of the building."

I would assume that the "search" referred to by Mr. Williams included searching the office of the Southwestern Publishing Company.

But we must also keep in mind that by the time the police detective searched the second floor on Nov. 22nd, Mrs. Carol Hughes could very well have already smuggled any number of high-powered rifles and their associated spent shell casings out of the building. Hughes more than likely had two Mausers and an Enfield hidden in her stockings as she left the building that day. And the 14 spent bullet shells were undoubtedly concealed in her purse too.

Why on Earth Mrs. Carol Hughes of 510 Glenfield Street, Garland, Texas, was never arrested and properly charged with conspiracy to murder President John F. Kennedy is beyond me. I've never in my life seen such an obvious case of conspiracy to commit murder!

⬇️

⬇️

⬇️

🙂

Edited by David Von Pein

16 hours ago, Greg Doudna said:

Minier's article claims CIA documents have come to light other than the one linked above:

"Only four days after President Kennedy's assassination in 1963, the CIA requested a 'name check' on Capehart from other federal agencies. ... a 1973 CIA 'letter of assignment and investigative transmittal' designates Capehart as 'covert,' instead of 'field'. The CIA's secret documents about Mr. Capehart end in 1975, the same year he told Sgt. Fore and Kay Weaver he retired from the agency."

The CIA document on Capehart linked above and on the Mary Ferrell site, shows no reason why that document existed, its purpose, who requested it or who generated it. 

What is the difference between a "covert" and "field" CIA individual? Presumably a "covert" officer works at Langley and a "field" officer works in one of the field offices or undercover in a foreign country? I would have thought a cia officer working in a foreign country could have been called a "covert" officer though as they would be working undercover. 

10 hours ago, David Von Pein said:

That's probably not true, Ben. I just noticed THIS FBI INTERVIEW with TSBD employee Otis Williams. In that March 1964 interview, Williams said this:

"After returning inside the TSBD Building just after hearing the three shots on November 22, 1963, I assisted a police detective in making a search of the second floor of the building."

I would assume that the "search" referred to by Mr. Williams included searching the office of the Southwestern Publishing Company.

But we must also keep in mind that by the time the police detective searched the second floor on Nov. 22nd, Mrs. Carol Hughes could very well have already smuggled any number of high-powered rifles and their associated spent shell casings out of the building. Hughes more than likely had two Mausers and an Enfield hidden in her stockings as she left the building that day. And the 14 spent bullet shells were undoubtedly concealed in her purse too.

Why on Earth Mrs. Carol Hughes of 510 Glenfield Street, Garland, Texas, was never arrested and properly charged with conspiracy to murder President John F. Kennedy is beyond me. I've never in my life seen such an obvious case of conspiracy to commit murder!

⬇️

⬇️

⬇️

🙂

DVP--

I would say the curious behavior of Hughes (if it was Hughes) in the immediate aftermath of the JFKA warranted an investigation. 

Of course, in the immediate hour after the JFKA, the information about Hughes' behavior and location may not have been known to authorities. In the hub-bub after the JFKA, who knows if Hine related her info to anyone. 

Hughes location and behavior became known through the WC, as did the verified tale of two cartons of rifles in her office, so by 1964 there was ample call for a serious follow-up on Hughes, which may have found nothing, just another lead properly followed and disposed of.  

But...

Why does someone in an office with a view to the kill zone keep her door locked in the immediate aftermath of the JFKA, even as fellow office workers beseech her to unlock and open her door? 

This was the same office into which two cartons of rifles were delivered just two days before, on Nov. 20.

Hughes' boss, Warren Caster, said he removed the cartons from the TSBD on Nov. 20---but obviously, no one could tell if the cartons had the rifles inside. 

Hughes left the TSBD one hour after the JFKA---really you think that is good police procedure? (BTW, Wesley Frazier may have left the building by 1 pm---so he said in his statement).

Hughes was un-searched. Many people that day, which had been a crisp fall day in the morning with rain, wore long coats. 

As for the search of the Southwestern Publishing office by an unidentified authority figure on Nov. 22---we do not know the nature of the search.

A look-see, is anyone hiding in there? A look for obvious shells or weapons laying about (aka the sniper's nest). 

I hardly think furniture was examined for false bottoms, and we know that Hughes was not searched, so shells were easily hidden and extracted from the TSBD. 

You are right to include Hughes' 1963 address, because that is all anyone seems to know about her, other than she said her husband's name is John, and Hughes is her married name. 

So...DVP, you are an expert on the JFKA.

Who was Hughes? What was her maiden name? Did she ever work for Jack Ruby? What was her background? How long did she work in the publisher's office (Hine did not know her name, and probably less than dozen people worked regularly on that floor). Who did she call on the phone within one minute of the JFKA? 

What happened to Hughes a year or two down the road? 

If you do not think this is curious situation that needed follow-up, you made the right call in not becoming a detective.  

I concede there is likely nothing there in the Hughes story. We will never know.

But it serves as an example of the nature of the WC inquiry (actually, a post-facto prosecution). 

I can only conclude no one at the WC wanted the official narrative to be disrupted. 

Edited by Benjamin Cole

4 hours ago, Benjamin Cole said:

Why does someone in an office with a view to the kill zone keep her door locked in the immediate aftermath of the JFKA, even as fellow office workers beseech her to unlock and open her door? 

This was the same office into which two cartons of rifles were delivered just two days before, on Nov. 20.

Hughes' boss, Warren Caster, said he removed the cartons from the TSBD on Nov. 20---but obviously, no one could tell if the cartons had the rifles inside. 

Whoah Benjamin on Carol Hughes. First of all, it isn't the same office where Caster, her boss, took the rifles. Caster's office would be a separate room adjoining where Carol Hughes was, to the east. The floor plan as David von Pein noted appears to be missing some inner partitions. The reconstruction is Caster had a private office and it was empty and locked that day. There is a door on the north side of Caster's office to a hallway, the doorway to the east of the one at which Geneva Hines knocked that was locked with Carol Hughes inside.

Carol Hughes on the phone after the shots is not too surprising since many people were trying to call someone. That she ignores someone at the door could be because she was on a long-distance phone call to a family member in a different city, or perhaps to a child, whatever, not to be interrupted. That the door itself was locked during a lunch hour with a woman inside, whether locked for the entire lunch hour or perhaps locked for the duration of the phone call so as not to be interrupted if the call was personal, also is not suspicious in itself. Leaving an hour later as did other TSBD employees and none of those leaving employees being physically searched by police is not suspicious of Carol Hughes specifically either.

It is known Caster brought brand-new purchased rifles into the TSBD, showed them off to people on the first floor; took them in their boxes to his office on the second floor, and after work went to his car and drove home that day with both of those same rifles with him at home where they remained years later. (He told Ian Griggs his family still had the same two rifles years later, which though I do not think Griggs verified that, would not have been volunteered if the rifles had not been as Caster said and could be checked, is how I reason on that.) What I noticed as in my earlier comment is as sensible as Caster's account sounds it is not airtight, since hypothetically it could be a mechanism for introducing a particular different rifle, sight unseen, into the TSBD, if a person was up to no good. However Warren Caster was a long-time executive at the TSBD, before and after Nov 1963, no known criminal record, convinced Ian Griggs he was clean and upstanding, and there is no evidence otherwise. Still, a rifle was on the sixth floor that was not supposed to be inside that building on Nov 22, and it got into that building some way; the issue is how. The objection to Oswald bringing it Fri morning Nov 22 is it is not proven that is how it happened: Buell Wesley Frazier insisting to the present day that the paper bag he saw Oswald with that morning was too short to have been the rifle; Frazier possibly denying to Dallas Police the night of Nov 22, supported by a polygraph as truthful, that the large bag police said was associated with the rifle was the same bag Frazier saw Oswald carrying (the polygraph supporting Frazier's truthfulness on that then covered up); no one saw Oswald take his paper bag of Fri Nov 22 (which Oswald told Fritz was his lunch which Oswald said may have been in a larger-than-normal size normal grocery bag) to the sixth floor; and there are issues of how Oswald could have assembled the rifle inside the building and the rifle then shoot accurately without the scope sighted in.

Oswald was seen by fellow roomer Cody of the Beckley rooming house in Oak Cliff, on a bus one morning (seemingly on his way to work at the TSBD as always) just before the assassination carrying a package in his lap--that has never been explained. Separately there is the Yates hitchhiker conveying a rifle-sized package to the front of the TSBD, who had talked about shooting the president from a high window and asked if Yates knew if the parade route had been changed, a man Yates thought after the assassination had been Oswald. That happened before Fri Nov 22 and also remains unexplained, just as Warren Caster's two rifles in the TSBD happened before Fri Nov 22 (which does have innocent though not airtight explanation). The question is can it be determined how the sixth floor rifle, the Mannlicher-Carcano traced to Oswald, got to the TSBD sixth floor to the exclusion of all other reasonable possibilities. Sometimes--certainly in detective fiction but also sometimes in real life--the answer that seems obvious is not necessarily the right answer. If Oswald had had known expertise in accurate sharpshooting; evidence he practiced shooting; and the paraffin test had not unexpectedly shown no evidence that Oswald fired a rifle that day, it would be a different matter. As it stands there are several conceivable trajectories by which the rifle could have gotten inside the TSBD and to the sixth floor, in the end devolving to interpretation in a wider context or solution to the crime. 

Edited by Greg Doudna

59 minutes ago, Greg Doudna said:

Whoah Benjamin on Carol Hughes. First of all, it isn't the same office where Caster, her boss, took the rifles. Caster's office would be a separate room adjoining where Carol Hughes was, to the east. The floor plan as David von Pein noted appears to be missing some inner partitions. The reconstruction is Caster had a private office and it was empty and locked that day. There is a door on the north side of Caster's office to a hallway, the doorway to the east of the one at which Geneva Hines knocked that was locked with Carol Hughes inside.

Carol Hughes on the phone after the shots is not too surprising since many people were trying to call someone. That she ignores someone at the door could be because she was on a long-distance phone call to a family member in a different city, or perhaps to a child, whatever, not to be interrupted. That the door itself was locked during a lunch hour with a woman inside, whether locked for the entire lunch hour or perhaps locked for the duration of the phone call so as not to be interrupted if the call was personal, also is not suspicious in itself. Leaving an hour later as did other TSBD employees and none of those leaving employees being physically searched by police is not suspicious of Carol Hughes specifically either.

It is known Caster brought brand-new purchased rifles into the TSBD, showed them off to people on the first floor; took them in their boxes to his office on the second floor, and after work went to his car and drove home that day with both of those same rifles with him at home where they remained years later. (He told Ian Griggs his family still had the same two rifles years later, which though I do not think Griggs verified that, would not have been volunteered if the rifles had not been as Caster said and could be checked, is how I reason on that.) What I noticed as in my earlier comment is as sensible as Caster's account sounds it is not airtight, since hypothetically it could be a mechanism for introducing a particular different rifle, sight unseen, into the TSBD, if a person was up to no good. However Warren Caster was a long-time executive at the TSBD, before and after Nov 1963, no known criminal record, convinced Ian Griggs he was clean and upstanding, and there is no evidence otherwise. Still, a rifle was on the sixth floor that was not supposed to be inside that building on Nov 22, and it got into that building some way; the issue is how. The objection to Oswald bringing it Fri morning Nov 22 is it is not proven that is how it happened: Buell Wesley Frazier insisting to the present day that the paper bag he saw Oswald with that morning was too short to have been the rifle; Frazier possibly denying to Dallas Police the night of Nov 22, supported by a polygraph as truthful, that the large bag police said was associated with the rifle was the same bag Frazier saw Oswald carrying (the polygraph supporting Frazier's truthfulness on that then covered up); no one saw Oswald take his paper bag of Fri Nov 22 (which Oswald told Fritz was his lunch which Oswald said may have been in a larger-than-normal size normal grocery bag) to the sixth floor; and there are issues of how Oswald could have assembled the rifle inside the building and the rifle then shoot accurately without the scope sighted in.

Oswald was seen by fellow roomer Cody of the Beckley rooming house in Oak Cliff, on a bus one morning (seemingly on his way to work at the TSBD as always) just before the assassination carrying a package in his lap--that has never been explained. Separately there is the Yates hitchhiker conveying a rifle-sized package to the front of the TSBD, who had talked about shooting the president from a high window and asked if Yates knew if the parade route had been changed, a man Yates thought after the assassination had been Oswald. That happened before Fri Nov 22 and also remains unexplained, just as Warren Caster's two rifles in the TSBD happened before Fri Nov 22 (which does have innocent though not airtight explanation). The question is can it be determined how the sixth floor rifle, the Mannlicher-Carcano traced to Oswald, got to the TSBD sixth floor to the exclusion of all other reasonable possibilities. Sometimes--certainly in detective fiction but also sometimes in real life--the answer that seems obvious is not necessarily the right answer. If Oswald had had known expertise in accurate sharpshooting; evidence he practiced shooting; and the paraffin test had not unexpectedly shown no evidence that Oswald fired a rifle that day, it would be a different matter. As it stands there are several conceivable trajectories by which the rifle could have gotten inside the TSBD and to the sixth floor, in the end devolving to interpretation in a wider context or solution to the crime. 

GD-

To be sure, to be sure. 

But none of the exculpatory possibilities you mention were ever checked out.

Did Hughes have a key to her bosses office? Many office girls do. 

We have no idea if Caster on the eve of Nov. 20 took both rifles. We have his word for it. I assume he may have been seen taking two cardboard cartons out. 

Hughes was never even asked to explain her behavior in the immediate aftermath of the JFKA. She was never searched. 

As I say, Hughes-Caster is probably yet another lead in the JFKA that when checked out, does in fact check out. 

But...sheesh, if Hughes was an assassin (or hiding one), she had hole the size of Mack truck to drive through. She could have easily left the building with evidence. While evidence was piled up against LHO. 

AFAIK, Hughes background was never checked out, and no one at the WC, and then the HSCA, knew her maiden name, or her background, or where she went. Or even if Carol Hughes was her real name, or how long she worked at the TSBD. 

Curiously, Geneva Hine did not know her name. 

No, I am not saying we have cracked the JFKA case.

I am saying that if this one example of the the work the WC did...then it shows extreme prejudice to find LHO the lone assassin. 

Add on:

Consider: LHO's background was checked out so thoroughly it was revealed he had mob links through his uncle Dutz Murret. 

That hardly make LHO a mobster, nor does it convict Marcello. 

But suppose you did a background check on Hughes, and found mob ties? Or her previous employer was linked to the Miami station of the CIA? 

But in Hughes case, nothing was done. She quickly disappeared off the map. 

No one at the WC said, "Hmmph. Probably nothing there, but let's call in Hughes for questioning and do a background check." 

Edited by Benjamin Cole

On 11/2/2022 at 9:05 PM, Greg Doudna said:

One article which may have escaped notice in those other discussions is this recent one from the Santa Barbara News-Press, Oct 10, 2021, not on the Mary Ferrell site, written by David Minier, former Santa Barbara district attorney 1967-1975: https://aarclibrary.org/the-capehart-case-what-is-the-cia-hiding/. Minier tells of his contact with and information from Capehart's girlfriend (who is named in the article unlike all Capehart articles on the Mary Ferrell site):

"He [Capehart] told her he had worked as a 'hit man' for the CIA on numerous occasions, retiring in 1975. He told Ms. Weaver he was present with Lee Harvey Oswald at the scene of the J.F.K. assassination. He said two others were with Oswald, and it was not Oswald who shot the president." 

And this is a CIA document on Claude Capehart dated Nov 20, 1963, the date Caster's rifles went into the TSBD: https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.html?docId=14179#relPageId=1.

In the 2021 Santa Barbara News-Press article, former district attorney Minier tells how in 1988 he and a district attorney investigator finally located Capehart (who had vanished in 1978), found him living in Parumph, Nevada. Capehart then suffered a suspicious death.

"Mr. Poole and I planned to confront Mr. Capehart at home in an attempt to find out his true relation with the CIA. We arranged for a Nye County sheriff's sergeant to accompany us and agreed upon a date in two weeks. A few days later, Mr. Capehart was found in his front yard, dead of an apparent heart attack."

Capehart was either 63 or 64 years old at the time of his death. Minier filed a FOIA request to the CIA.

"Seeking answers, I filed a request with the CIA in 1992 under the Freedom of Information Act. I asked if Mr. Capehart had ever been employed by that agency in any capacity. The CIA refused to confirm or deny, because that information "would reasonably be expected to cause damage to national security." I then sued the CIA in federal court for the information. The CIA claimed national security. The court ruled for the C.I.A., and I appealed. In 1994, an appeals court ruled the CIA was exempt from the Freedom of Information Act's disclosure provisions. (...)

The CIA document on Capehart linked above and on the Mary Ferrell site, shows no reason why that document existed, its purpose, who requested it or who generated it. Its just CIA, Capehart, and the date Nov 20, 1963, in association on an authentic CIA document.

Thank you for posting that excellent article. I had no idea that Faye Weaver’s name had been revealed. Over 20 years ago, I contacted Dale Fore to get a copy of a photograph of Capehart that he had in the office, but couldn’t locate. I never heard back from him. He told me I was the second individual to call him about the photograph. I have never seen the photos that were published in that local paper that caused Capehart to panic. If anyone has copies or a link, I’d really appreciate that information. I’ve always been fascinated by the Capehart story. It’s as interesting to me as the story of Richard Case Nagell.