The Education Forum

RARE film of the only other JFK/LBJ motorcade: 9/11/60 DALLAS/FORT WORTH! Good security and press

Secret Service (INCLUDING JOHN JOE HOWLETT!) surround the car including military and police. In a still photo, DALLAS POLICE CHIEF JESSE CURRY shakes JFK's hand! 2 press photographers flatbed trucks in front of limo. The Secret Service did NOT protect CANDIDATES until after Bobby was killed, so why they are protecting the candidates is unusual.

RARE film of the only other JFK/LBJ motorcade: 9/11/60 DALLAS/FORT WORTH! Good security and press

Never seen this specific footage before, wow. Is that Main Street they’re traveling, with all the ticker tape flying in the air? Would make sense they’d go right through the heart of downtown. 

Love the footage of Kennedy holding a ten gallon hat in his hand (never putting it on, of course!). If I remember correctly the hat was a gift from Lyndon, who thought Jack should wear it to impress the Texans on this campaign trip through the state. 🤠 

10 hours ago, Lori Spencer said:

Never seen this specific footage before, wow. Is that Main Street they’re traveling, with all the ticker tape flying in the air? Would make sense they’d go right through the heart of downtown. 

Love the footage of Kennedy holding a ten gallon hat in his hand (never putting it on, of course!). If I remember correctly the hat was a gift from Lyndon, who thought Jack should wear it to impress the Texans on this campaign trip through the state. 🤠 

A couple people stated that that is Main Street (there are still photos of them travelling down Main Street but, like FDR in 1936, in the opposite direction.

13 hours ago, Vince Palamara said:

A couple people stated that that is Main Street (there are still photos of them travelling down Main Street but, like FDR in 1936, in the opposite direction.

Thanks! It sure looks like Main Street to me. Makes me wonder if they went through Dealey Plaza on that 1960 motorcade route? 

Never seen a map of their 1960 Dallas motorcade route, but it would make logical routing sense. FDR’s motorcade went through Dealey Plaza in ‘36, to the newly-constructed underpass (which I think was a WPA project, if memory serves correct.) 

16 hours ago, Lori Spencer said:

Thanks! It sure looks like Main Street to me. Makes me wonder if they went through Dealey Plaza on that 1960 motorcade route? 

Never seen a map of their 1960 Dallas motorcade route, but it would make logical routing sense. FDR’s motorcade went through Dealey Plaza in ‘36, to the newly-constructed underpass (which I think was a WPA project, if memory serves correct.) 

Thanks! Oh, they 100 percent definitely went thru Dealey Plaza (see still photo from the video thumbnail). While I cannot swear the actual film excerpt is from Dealey Plaza itself, they definitely went that way.

16 hours ago, Lori Spencer said:

May be an image of 6 people, people standing, road and text that says 'oca bola BEREALLY REFRESHED The parade in Dallas officially begins at Main & Market Streets after passing eastbound through Dealey Plaza.'

May be an image of 2 people and people standing

May be an image of 1 person and standing

May be a black-and-white image of one or more people, street and road

May be a black-and-white image of 4 people, people standing and outdoorsMay be an image of 1 person and standing

May be an image of 4 people and text that says 'LPOLICEJ DBT Evelpndtencolw ack Volume VI October 13, 1961 President Kennedy receives welcome from Chief Curry The President of the in Dallas Monday Sam Rayburn Baylor Icoming thanks L. Jackson receives Presidential States, arriving peaker the House eceived Police hief President Kennedy' unexpected visit, prompted by instituted by Chief trip for the measures Secret Agent Curry ensure Approxim of Procession hospital. traffic denied passage long lockingbird, Gaston. into President waiting limousine the airport and irectly Baylor Hospital behind he of police es- Washington, Several Chief Curry' staff officers were on Page 3, Col. 2)'

May be an image of one or more people, people standing, outdoors, crowd and text that says 'ADOLPHUS HOTEL PARKING Enter on Field St, From comm Commerce St Eatwell Cafe Downtown Dallas'

Thanks for those great pics, Vince. 

Astonishing to look at those pics of JFK and LBJ cruising through downtown in an open car together, swarmed by people, with no secret service and only local police protection.

A sniper’s dream if someone had the inclination to do such a crazy thing… 

3 hours ago, Lori Spencer said:

Thanks for those great pics, Vince. 

Astonishing to look at those pics of JFK and LBJ cruising through downtown in an open car together, swarmed by people, with no secret service and only local police protection.

A sniper’s dream if someone had the inclination to do such a crazy thing… 

There were at least two Secret Service agents- John Joe Howlett and one other. They appear in the film/video at one point and can be seen clearly in the photo with Cheif Curry extending his hand to JFK.

5 hours ago, Vince Palamara said:

There were at least two Secret Service agents- John Joe Howlett and one other. They appear in the film/video at one point and can be seen clearly in the photo with Cheif Curry extending his hand to JFK.

I thought presidential candidates didn’t get SS protection until 1968, after RFK’s murder? Can you explain this to me like I’m 5 years old.. 

3 hours ago, Lori Spencer said:

I thought presidential candidates didn’t get SS protection until 1968, after RFK’s murder? Can you explain this to me like I’m 5 years old.. 

You are correct. Why agents are protecting them here is baffling. Then again, there are famous newsreels of JFK and Jackie during the campaign in 1960 in an open motorcade in NY and there are several agents protecting them, as well, so perhaps they did it as an unofficial courtesy before it became law.

Edited by Vince Palamara

1 hour ago, Vince Palamara said:

You are correct. Why agents are protecting them here is baffling. Then again, there are famous newsreels of JFK and Jackie during the campaign in 1960 in an open motorcade in NY and there are several agents protecting them, as well, so perhaps they did it as an unofficial courtesy before it became law.

As it's a fact it happened in Dallas and NY that would make sense.  Maybe not all candidates for the whole campaign.  But once one was nominated by his party and thus considered a legitimate possible future president?

On 11/22/2022 at 8:28 PM, Vince Palamara said:

Secret Service (INCLUDING JOHN JOE HOWLETT!) surround the car including military and police. In a still photo, DALLAS POLICE CHIEF JESSE CURRY shakes JFK's hand! 2 press photographers flatbed trucks in front of limo. The Secret Service did NOT protect CANDIDATES until after Bobby was killed, so why they are protecting the candidates is unusual.

They could only move as fast as the flag bearers.  

Vince, your 1960 parade pictures take me back in another respect.  JFK also gave a speech at the old, newish then Dallas Memorial Auditorium.  The pictures along the parade route show a remarkable crowd.

Which took me to a picture of JFK I remember from that speech.  At a place I later saw Jethro Tull with the Eagles opening for them, Led Zepplin, Humble Pie, Bad Company, Lynrd Skynrd and Black Sabbath.

It held 11,500.  Looks pretty full.  For JFK in the south in 1960.  As well as the parade route.

See the source image