The Education Forum

Oswalds 2 Weeks In Cuba Under The G2

Gerry Down

In Mexico City, LHO was intending to travel to Cuba for two weeks before making his way on to the USSR.

Question.

What could LHO have expected from the Cuban G2 during these 2 weeks? How were the G2 dealing with Americans entering the country like Oswald in this fashion? Were they conducting surveillance on such individuals and/or setting up G2 files on them in case they might be US spys? Or could Oswald have expected to just coast into the country, spend two weeks there, and be completely ignored by the G2?

Are there documents showing how/if such American individuals entering the country like this were monitored by the G2.

This is interesting in that we know from the AMSANTA project that FPCC members traveling to Cuba were well received, given a warm welcome, tours,  even introductions to senior Cuban officials.  The problem for Oswald of course was how the FPCC office might have responded to queries from Cuba.  But if he had been granted a Visa based on material appearing to show his support for the FPCC and Cubas - from New Orleans - he might not have faced that much scrutiny. 

Of course if the whole thing was  a propaganda ploy....possibly not even involving Oswald himself....it might never have been intended to get a person into Cuba, but rather to create a rather radical story about Cuban subversion of naive Americans to add on to the propaganda initiative that had been started by DRE/INCA/CIA in New Orleans.

48 minutes ago, Larry Hancock said:

This is interesting in that we know from the AMSANTA project that FPCC members traveling to Cuba were well received, given a warm welcome, tours,  even introductions to senior Cuban officials.  The problem for Oswald of course was how the FPCC office might have responded to queries from Cuba.  But if he had been granted a Visa based on material appearing to show his support for the FPCC and Cubas - from New Orleans - he might not have faced that much scrutiny. 

Of course if the whole thing was  a propaganda ploy....possibly not even involving Oswald himself....it might never have been intended to get a person into Cuba, but rather to create a rather radical story about Cuban subversion of naive Americans to add on to the propaganda initiative that had been started by DRE/INCA/CIA in New Orleans.

Do you think the G2 would have set up a file in Aug/Sept 1963 on LHO by virtue of the fact he had been making such noise in New Orleans with the FPCC and going on TV, radio etc?

And if the G2 had not set up a file on LHO in Aug/Sept 1963, would the Nov 14th 1963 letter from Cuba signed "Jorge" to Oswald have triggered the setting up of a file on LHO within the G2 especially considering that letter mentioned the "CIA"? Here is an except from an article by Jeff Morley regarding this letter:

The FBI wasn’t aware that Cuba’s Department of State Security (DSE) had turned up another letter related to Oswald — this one dated November 14, 1963, and found on November 23 in the Havana foreign-mail sorting office. It was typed on a Remington 16 with the salutation “My friend Lee,” signed “Jorge,” and addressed to “L.H. Oswald, Royalton Hotel, Miami, Florida.”

The most noteworthy passage: “I would like to tell you that the thing that you talked to me last time we were in Mexico, would be a perfect plan that would weak the political fanfarron [braggart] of Kennedy, even though you need a lot of prudencia (caution) because you know how are moving the counterrevolutionary friends that work for the CIA.”

The DSE maintains that the Warren Commission must have investigated the letters instead of blindly accepting the FBI’s assertion that they amounted to a hoax perpetrated by unknown anti-Castro militants inside Cuba. To the Cuban brain trust on the issue, the letters dated before the assassination show some foreknowledge of Oswald’s links to Dallas and Mexico City. Thus, Jorge and Pedro Charles hinted at a plan for implicating Castro in the assassination by tying Oswald to pro-Castro Cubans in Mexico and Miami.

According to General Fabián Escalante, the former head of the DSE, the letters were fabricated by people aware of a plot against JFK with a clandestine base in Cuba ready to ensure the letters would arrive just in time to fuel suspicions against Castro. Only the CIA had such a capability inside Cuba, he said.

At a meeting of JFK researchers and Cuban officials in the Bahamian capital of Nassau in December 1995, Escalante’s assistant, Arturo Rodriguez, said that the typewriters should be identified by comparing the letters with CIA documents typed at its Mexico City station or with “a personal letter by Howard Hunt, for example, done at home or at a friend’s house.”

It’s a major task ahead for turning an FBI-established hoax into a conspiracy fact.

SOURCE: https://jfkfacts.org/letters-to-oswald-hoax-or-evidence/ 

Whether this letter was real or a hoax, would the G2 have found it (i.e. were they opening mail?), read the "CIA" part and consequently have decided a file should be set up on this "L.H. Oswald" guy?

I would have expected Cuban G2 to have had a file on Oswald due to his highly visible pro-Cuba support.  Open source intelligence is always easy, which means reading the newspapers for key cities like Miami, Tampa, or New Orleans where there were well established Cuban communities.  Of course that is just a guess but it would have been reasonable for them to have done some checking on him as to whether he was a dangle or provocateur and I would not have been surprised to have found an advisory on him a place like their Mexico City  embassy. 

Then again it seems like Cuban G2 was a lot more interested in undermining CIA efforts and penetrating anti-Castro groups so maybe Oswald was not on their radar....seems a bit strange though that they would not have a file on him prior to his appearance at their MC embassy.

As to the letter, I would tend to go along with Escalante's take on it....which of course brings up what "conspirator" would have still had access to really deep assets inside Cuba...sort of makes me think of Sforza. 

22 minutes ago, Larry Hancock said:

I would have expected Cuban G2 to have had a file on Oswald due to his highly visible pro-Cuba support.  Open source intelligence is always easy, which means reading the newspapers for key cities like Miami, Tampa, or New Orleans where there were well established Cuban communities.  Of course that is just a guess but it would have been reasonable for them to have done some checking on him as to whether he was a dangle or provocateur and I would not have been surprised to have found an advisory on him a place like their Mexico City  embassy. 

Then again it seems like Cuban G2 was a lot more interested in undermining CIA efforts and penetrating anti-Castro groups so maybe Oswald was not on their radar....seems a bit strange though that they would not have a file on him prior to his appearance at their MC embassy.

As to the letter, I would tend to go along with Escalante's take on it....which of course brings up what "conspirator" would have still had access to really deep assets inside Cuba...sort of makes me think of Sforza. 

With regard to the G2 opening mail, I would imagine that the G2 would be monitoring and opening any mail being sent to the Royalton hotel because that hotel was associated with cuban political leaders and refugees. Here is what a 1960 FBI report said about this hotel:

Royalton-Hotel.png 

SOURCE: https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.html?docId=134405#relPageId=31&search=Royalton_Hotel

In 1963, the hotel was hosting leading cuban political and action leaders:

Royalton-Hotel-2.png 

SOURCE: https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.html?docId=113346#relPageId=40&search=Royalton_Hotel

The letter from Jorge makes it look like LHO was in this hotel in Miami spying on anti-castro Cubans. The letter makes it look like LHO and Jorge are friends and had met in Mexico City. 

Here is the full letter from Jorge:

Jorge-1.jpg