The Education Forum

Amazing HSCA document

Don't quote me on this, but I think this guy Armstrong was one of the CIA liaisons to the HSCA and his job was to keep like a history of the relationship.

1 minute ago, James DiEugenio said:

Don't quote me on this, but I think this guy Armstrong was one of the CIA liaisons to the HSCA and his job was to keep like a history of the relationship.

Interesting. The Sprague/Tanenbaum era, although short-lived, had so much promise!

You got that right.

Since these names listed in groups for requests

by Blakey appear to have common themes, does the listing of Carl Mather (the

mysterious man from Collins Radio whose car

turns up in Oak Cliff on 11-22 and who was

a close friend of the Tippits) and Collins

Radio on April 19, 1978, with the name of John David Hurt (the

"former" U.S. Army Intelligence agent in Raleigh, North Carolina,

whom Oswald tried to call from jail) imply

a linkage between Mather and Hurt? Besides

Mather's car being in Oak Cliff near Oswald's rooming house (possibly

with Oswald in it) on Nov. 22, 1963, Mather and

his wife visited Marie Tippit and her children that afternoon. Also in that small group of five subjects

listed by Blakey are Nestor R. Castellanos (who piloted

a plane during the Bay of Pigs operation, per

Blakey, presumably for the CIA; he was alleged

to have said on tape in October 1963

of President Kennedy, "We're waiting for Kennedy

on the 22nd [of November] plenty. . . . We're going to give

him the works when he gets in Dallas") and "Minuteman

Organization, 1960-64." These five subjects are listed

in Blakey's 4-19-78 letter to Patrick Carpentier,

office of the legislative counsel, CIA, Washington, D.C.

That letter, previously released by the CIA,

does not draw explicit connections among

the five subjects.

Boy I did not know about Castellanos.

What is the source for that joe?

Has any of this been released before? It's a 143-page formerly

"SECRET EYES ONLY" CIA report to the DCI, Richard Helms, by the Inspector

General in 1967, "SUBJECT: Report on Plots to Assassinate

Fidel Castro." It says all other copies, notes, and drafts

were destroyed. https://www.archives.gov/files/research/jfk/releases/104-10057-10270.pdf

Edited by Joseph McBride

Yes that has been released before.

And I think the copy I had was clean.

That is the Inspector's General Report on the CIA Mafia plots to kill Castro.

Helms had the only copy and he did not want to let it out.  This is one of the things he and Nixon had problems over.

But Helms just would not give it up, since it so completely incriminated the CIA and actually admitted that they never had any presidential approval for the plots, and even lied to RFK about them. 

The reason it finally got out was Nixon fired Helms and the Church  Committee got a copy, from I think it was Colby.

It should have been printed as an annex in the Church Committee Volumes, but it was not.

Edited by James DiEugenio

38 minutes ago, James DiEugenio said:

Helms had the only copy and he did not want to let it out. 

We only know about this thanks to the Church Committee, but I guarantee you none of this was news to Fidel Castro. 

He saw us coming every time. 

Can't fool Fidel!

Something on page 31 of the "Kill Castro" file really jumped out at me this time, reading it again for the first time in years. 

In early 1961, when a plan was being cooked up to take Castro out gangland-style in a hail of bullets, the guy who "flatly opposed the use of firearms" was Sam Giancana, of all people. 

Sam wanted nothing to do with it. He preferred the poison pill idea, apparently...

Also, the redacted name on pages 17 & 30 is Sidney Gottlieb, isn't it? Chief of TSD's Chemical Division? Thought it was rather odd that Gottlieb's name is unredacted on some pages, but redacted on others. Confusing!

Edited by Lori Spencer
corrected quotation

You got that right.

BTW, in line with that, when Ed Lopez met with Castro he told him the CIA would not tell him the names of the photographers covering the Cuban Embassy. ANd he needed to talk to them.

Castro said, oh we can help you on that.  He turned him over to Escalante and he gave them all the names.

2 minutes ago, Lori Spencer said:

Something on page 31 of the "Kill Castro" file really jumped out at me this time, reading it again for the first time in years. 

In early 1961, when a plan was being cooked up to take Castro out gangland-style in a hail of bullets, the guy who was "flatly opposed" to it was Sam Giancana, of all people. 

Sam wanted nothing to do with it. He preferred the poison pill idea, apparently...

Also, the redacted name on pages 17 & 30 is Sidney Gottlieb, isn't it? Chief of TSD's Chemical Division? Thought it was rather odd that Gottlieb's name is unredacted on some pages, but redacted on others. Confusing!

I recall that, Giancana did not want anything too spectacular that would call attention to itself.

Its probably Gottlieb, but it may be a henchman.

8 minutes ago, James DiEugenio said:

Its probably Gottlieb, but it may be a henchman.

I think it's just a de-classification error. They're sloppy about that oftentimes, as you well know! They un-redact a name on one page, then keep the same name redacted on other pages. 

Pretty sure that's Gottlieb being refenced here. It just happened to be fresh in my mind because I was watching this lecture by historian/author Stephen Kinzer on Gottlieb's Castro jobs last night. Kinzer confirms that Gottlieb was running all that monkey business! 

Really fine lecture, btw. 

On page 44, it says: "early in the Kennedy Administration, Bissell called him in to discuss what Harvey refers to as Executive Action Capability, i.e., a general standby capability to carry out assassinations when required. Harvey's notes quote Bissell as saying "The White House has twice urged me to create such a capability.""

The smell of bullsh*t is strong here. Can't imagine JFK authorizing any such thing. He wasn't even on the list of the few people who knew of this operation in early 1961. 

The President of the United States was left out of the loop -- intentionally, I believe. RFK didn't learn of it until a year after the fact, in May 1962.