The Education Forum

Every news segment got it wrong

Every news story on this latest release has gotten everything wrong, even the most basic elements of the assassination. NBC's Andrea Mitchel thinking she's reciting the WC version of the event said shots came from the 3rd floor of the TSBD.

Michael Beschloss has decided to blame the FBI for the assassination. He thinks they knew all about LHO and didn't tell the SS. I don't think that's true. It's certainly not accurate. And it's not that simplistic.  

On one NBC segment he asked why didn't they use "preventive detention," and arrest Oswald? Well, because he hadn't committed any crime and "preventive detention," didn't exist back then. It's an unconstitutional thing that people turn a blind eye to now as the excuse for doing is it fights terrorism.  There's a famous clip of RFK ( nothing to do with the assassination of JFK ) mocking the very idea.  

Beschloss doesn't even bring up his own book, the first on the LBJ tapes that he did, where LBJ talks to Sen. Richard Russell about how he ( LBJ ) used the story of Mexico City to get Earl Warren to chair his commission looking into the assassination.  And in the telling of that story LBJ ends with surprising Russell that he ( Russell ) will serve on that commission too.  

On the good side Beschloss does bring up that the FBI started destroying records right after Oswald is shot. This is what FBI agent James Hosty said once we learned LHO sent him a note weeks before the assassination. But, we didn't learn that until the 1970's. 

Edited by Joseph Backes

The CIA had a secret press conference for the NYT, WaPo and NBC to its share spin and try to control the narrative. There is a modified limited hangout that this will be about the agencies failing to alert the secret service about the danger of Oswald as a deflection.

I called out the newspapers and NBC when I appeared on Tucker Carlson Friday Nite. https://www.foxnews.com/video/6317409784112  

I agree with Dave.

23 hours ago, Joseph Backes said:

Every news story on this latest release has gotten everything wrong, even the most basic elements of the assassination. NBC's Andrea Mitchel thinking she's reciting the WC version of the event said shots came from the 3rd floor of the TSBD.

Michael Beschloss has decided to blame the FBI for the assassination. He thinks they knew all about LHO and didn't tell the SS. I don't think that's true. It's certainly not accurate. And it's not that simplistic.  

On one NBC segment he asked why didn't they use "preventive detention," and arrest Oswald? Well, because he hadn't committed any crime and "preventive detention," didn't exist back then. It's an unconstitutional thing that people turn a blind eye to now as the excuse for doing is it fights terrorism.  There's a famous clip of RFK ( nothing to do with the assassination of JFK ) mocking the very idea.  

Beschloss doesn't even bring up his own book, the first on the LBJ tapes that he did, where LBJ talks to Sen. Richard Russell about how he ( LBJ ) used the story of Mexico City to get Earl Warren to chair his commission looking into the assassination.  And in the telling of that story LBJ ends with surprising Russell that he ( Russell ) will serve on that commission too.  

On the good side Beschloss does bring up that the FBI started destroying records right after Oswald is shot. This is what FBI agent James Hosty said once we learned LHO sent him a note weeks before the assassination. But, we didn't learn that until the 1970's. 

One of the first things I realized a few years after I began to study the JFK case was that "professional historians" are frequently uninformed and unreliable--and very biased.

Edited by Michael Griffith

7 minutes ago, Michael Griffith said:

One of the first things I realized a few years after I began to study the JFK case was that "professional historians" are frequently uninformed and unreliable--and very biased.

Agreed. Largely because they study stuff on a macro level I suppose. I don't find most to be doing anything sinister just there's only so much time in a day and they're expected to know everything. And they prefer to let people think they do.

I don't know enough about many of the subjects discussed here to intelligently comment on them or dispute/agree with people's areas of study. I kind of look at myself as a sort of juror most of the time. On occasion I can chime in on areas I have knowledge in if I think it's enough to add or comment on a post. Rarely, I have a unique contribution that has actual value unavailable elsewhere.

That's one of the nice things about this sort of forum that you can't get elsewhere. In-depth perspectives from people who look at things at a micro level.

Edited by Bob Ness