The Education Forum

Gus Russo: There is Nothing in those Darn Files!

My latest on Russo, based on some of his relatively recent writings, after he served as point man, for the PBS, ABC and NBC malarkey.

I could not get everything I wanted for this.  Because I could not locate the actual Brokaw special on video.  I really wanted to since IIRC Reeves said something even worse about Kennedy and VIetnam than he did in the book.  If anyone can find it let me know.

Anyway Gus marches on, spewing baloney, and avoiding at all costs what the ARRB achieved.  That fell to Oliver Stone.

https://www.kennedysandking.com/john-f-kennedy-articles/gus-russo-there-is-nothing-in-those-damn-files

1 hour ago, James DiEugenio said:

My latest on Russo, based on some of his relatively recent writings, after he served as point man, for the PBS, ABC and NBC malarkey.

I could not get everything I wanted for this.  Because I could not locate the actual Brokaw special on video.  I really wanted to since IIRC Reeves said something even worse about Kennedy and VIetnam than he did in the book.  If anyone can find it let me know.

Anyway Gus marches on, spewing baloney, and avoiding at all costs what the ARRB achieved.  That fell to Oliver Stone.

https://www.kennedysandking.com/john-f-kennedy-articles/gus-russo-there-is-nothing-in-those-damn-files

I am looking for the special you are talking about. In the meantime, there is this:

Having Steve Gillon host a show like this is like having Dan Rather do so. But that is the History Channel. 

That was some build up about Posner.  Russo was even sillier about why Oswald did not shoot when the target was under him.

Gus Russo blabbing about the Warren Commission and the Cuban G 2 is almost hysterical.  

This turned into a food fight.

Edited by James DiEugenio

Here is a link to “Face The Nation”  October 27, 2013 , with Phil Shenon and a segment with Peggy Noonan and Bob Woodward which uses term “deep state” for the first time that I know of in mainstream media (without disdain). The Woodward/Noonan segment is interesting as it articulates what may yet be the ultimate fallback for the establishment: yes the WC was a coverup, but it was done in name of patriotism.

https://archive.org/details/KPIX_20131028_000000_Face_the_Nation

It won't come up for me Jeff.

The "Face The Nation" program Jeff linked to was uploaded to Internet Archive in one-minute clips. Look for the timeline of the program running across the top of that crazy-wide page. Below the link to each clip there's a rough transcript, running more down than across. And if you do all this, you get Bob Schieffer with Phil Shenon. You have been warned.

Oh I recall this now.

Schieffer was excited about Shenon's book.

He made it sound like good ole Phil had solved the case or something.

When in fact, Shenon had done about zero real research.

But Shenon and Russo meet in the way they try and blame Cuba for the assassination.

Which is bonkers.  Castro made two excellent speeches within five days on the assassination explaining 1.) How the US would blame this on him, and 2.) Why it had to be an inside job.

Of course, we did not know that the DRE and the CIA had put this story out in the USA in one day.