The Education Forum

Morley Posts "Heath" Memo, CIA Look-See Into Miami Role in JFKA

https://www.archives.gov/files/research/jfk/releases/2022/104-10103-10024.pdf

So, this is a memo that evidently confirms the CIA, especially in the Miami area, spent some time investigating whether someone in the Miami community was behind the JFKA. 

Of course, asking the CIA to investigate whether elements within the CIA conducted the JFKA...

Evidently, there 400 officers attached to the Miami CIA station, and 2,000 CIA-Cuban assets in the US at the time of the JFKA. Many were deeply angered by what they perceived as a JFK backstab at the Bay of Pigs, and in relation to Cuba in general....

5 minutes ago, Benjamin Cole said:

So, this is a memo that evidently confirms the CIA, especially in the Miami area, spent some time investigating whether someone in the Miami community was behind the JFKA. 

Of course, asking the CIA to investigate whether elements within the CIA conducted the JFKA...

Evidently, there 400 officers attached to the Miami CIA station, and 2,000 CIA-Cuban assets in the US at the time of the JFKA. Many were deeply angered by what they perceived as a JFK backstab at the Bay of Pigs, and in relation to Cuba in general....

Those wacky CTers…. Didn’t they know the FBI had this wrapped up the second LHO was dead and the WC would then lend its weighty rubber stamp a year later (with the necessary SBT bolted on).

Edited by Michaleen Kilroy

1 hour ago, Michaleen Kilroy said:

Those wacky CTers…. Didn’t they know the FBI had this wrapped up the second LHO was dead and the WC would then lend its weighty rubber stamp a year later (with the necessary SBT bolted on).

Well...I rather suspect this post-JFKA CIA investigation, run by CIA Miami station chief Ted Shackley, into Miami officers and assets was not to uncover leads, but rather to suffocate any leads in the crib....

Can anyone imagine Shackley saying, "I am saddened to report that our investigation has uncovered that assets of the CIA, and an officer, were instrumental in the JFKA."? 

Trusting any agency to investigate itself...well, call me skeptical. 

50 minutes ago, Benjamin Cole said:

Well...I rather suspect this post-JFKA CIA investigation, run by CIA Miami station chief Ted Shackley, into Miami officers and assets was not to uncover leads, but rather to suffocate any leads in the crib....

Can anyone imagine Shackley saying, "I am saddened to report that our investigation has uncovered that assets of the CIA, and an officer, were instrumental in the JFKA."? 

Trusting any agency to investigate itself...well, call me skeptical. 

Good point. And no one has ever seen the report so that proves you’re right.

That is quite the memo. According to the author, Donald Heath, on two occasions following the Cuban Missile Crisis when JFK was traveling, Ted Shackley assembled his quick-reaction force out of JMWAVE to investigate conspiracies in the Cuban exile community to “exploit or interfere with the President’s movements”: 

“Headquarters and internal USG security agencies wanted to be alerted to the presence of known dangerous Cuban exile activists in the area the President was to visit and wished to learn of conspiracies being hatched in the Cuban exile community or in Cuba to exploit or interfere with the President’s movements” 

Was JMWAVE really investigating conspiracies to assassinate JFK involving Cuban exiles before the assassination? 

Also, the title of the memo is just “memorandum for the record”, and it is dated 3/22/77. Was this memo sent to the HSCA? Why did Heath write this report? Are there any subsequent documents discussing Heath’s claims from the CIA, HSCA, etc.? 

49 minutes ago, Tom Gram said:

That is quite the memo. According to the author, Donald Heath, on two occasions following the Cuban Missile Crisis when JFK was traveling, Ted Shackley assembled his quick-reaction force out of JMWAVE to investigate conspiracies in the Cuban exile community to “exploit or interfere with the President’s movements”: 

“Headquarters and internal USG security agencies wanted to be alerted to the presence of known dangerous Cuban exile activists in the area the President was to visit and wished to learn of conspiracies being hatched in the Cuban exile community or in Cuba to exploit or interfere with the President’s movements” 

Was JMWAVE really investigating conspiracies to assassinate JFK involving Cuban exiles before the assassination? 

Also, the title of the memo is just “memorandum for the record”, and it is dated 3/22/77. Was this memo sent to the HSCA? Why did Heath write this report? Are there any subsequent documents discussing Heath’s claims from the CIA, HSCA, etc.? 

Larry Hancock knows more about CIA JFKA-prophylactic actions in Miami, especially during JFK's visit to the city in 1963. Evidently the CIA was canvassing people in the exile community before the JFK visit. I remember that some exiles were enlisted to help provide protection, but Hancock says no, that did not happen.  

My entirely speculative concern is that exiles in Miami, working with the CIA during the JFK visit, may have learned of CIA names, procedures, phone numbers and so on. The info may have leaked within the exile community. 

The exiles could use this info to impress LHO in Dallas in some way, as being friendlies to JFK, and helping provide protection or running a CIA-sanctioned false flag op. 

Speculation of course. But the CIA Miami station, and the militant and active exile community, were huge---literally in the thousands of angry and dedicated men. 

I believe Morley said this memo was generated in response to the HSCA investigation 

13 hours ago, Benjamin Cole said:

One wonders if this investigation was not an opening for a potential "prophylactic" purge of some troublesome exiles, in the way that the al-Qaeda "base" was rolled up after 9/11.

22 minutes ago, David Andrews said:

One wonders if this investigation was not an opening for a potential "prophylactic" purge of some troublesome exiles, in the way that the al-Qaeda "base" was rolled up after 9/11.

David - interesting conjecture, more believable than thinking Ted Shackley was trying to protect JFK.

I first wrote about this back in 2010 in SWHT, we had a version of the document then.  One of the interesting points I noted was that Shackley apparently lied under oath stating WAVE had never done any investigation of the JFK assassination...the issue is that Sforza, a definite person of interest in the Dallas plot and head of the AMOTs, their use in Mexico City, etc, is the one who appears to have ordered the inquiry at WAVE and received the reports.  Which raises the question of whether he did it on his own to determine any exposures and deal with them or whether this came from Shackley or HQ etc.  As far as I know we have no documents containing any actual instruction to do such an investigation, just verification that it occured.

9 hours ago, David Andrews said:

Reasonable conjecture on your art. My guess is if any leads were uncovered...they were buried for good. 

4 hours ago, Larry Hancock said:

I first wrote about this back in 2010 in SWHT, we had a version of the document then.  One of the interesting points I noted was that Shackley apparently lied under oath stating WAVE had never done any investigation of the JFK assassination...the issue is that Sforza, a definite person of interest in the Dallas plot and head of the AMOTs, their use in Mexico City, etc, is the one who appears to have ordered the inquiry at WAVE and received the reports.  Which raises the question of whether he did it on his own to determine any exposures and deal with them or whether this came from Shackley or HQ etc.  As far as I know we have no documents containing any actual instruction to do such an investigation, just verification that it occured.

A tip of the hat to Larry Hancock. 

Upon reflection, for JMWAVE, with its extensive contacts into and knowledge of the exile community, to not investigate after the JFKA (if only in coordination with the FBI) would be a dereliction of duty.  

I gather there are no documents from what if anything the CIA uncovered in its post-JFKA look-see. 

I still sense something fishy about the CIA working with exiles in Miami to protect JFK during his visit there...and then JFK is shot in Dallas, with Cuba connections attached everywhere (and the whole N.O. scene).